20” Tyre sizes.... 245/45/20 or 265/40/20

BeePee

T6 Guru
My Kombi came with 20s, 8.5j front 10j rear, both front and rear came with 275x40x20 and the front tyres always looked under inflated. Handling was a bit vague at times and steering, well, heavy and tyres rubbing the inner wheel arches at full lock.

T6 T32 4Motion

Now running 245x45x20 on the front and 275x40x20 on the rear, exact same rolling diameter, check the spec's.
transformed my T6 and now looks like it has the correct tyre pressure and a staggered stance like it should have in the first place.

My Kombi came with 20s, 8.5j front 10j rear, both front and rear came with 275x40x20 and the front tyres always looked under inflated. Handling was a bit vague at times and steering, well, heavy and tyres rubbing the inner wheel arches at full lock.

T6 T32 4Motion

Now running 245x45x20 on the front and 275x40x20 on the rear, exact same rolling diameter, check the spec's.
transformed my T6 and now looks like it has the correct tyre pressure and a staggered stance like it should have in the first place.

Exactly what I've said loads of times on the 8.5" wheel debate.
I have no idea why wheel suppliers keep jamming 275s on 8.5" rims, when every single tyre site doesn't even quote a 275s as a maximum fitting.

T6 T32 4Motion

Same set up as you and the fronts are rubbing over bumps as way to wide
Need new tyres on the front and will do the same as you 245.45.20 on 8.5 on the front do you have any photos sir

I found away around mine I now so a six point turn lol bloody pain I might look umder on full lock see were its catching might cut the plastic out tyres plob to expensive let me know if you get round it steve

I've just been out working all day with my van and for the first time in 13 months and 24k miles I have a steering lock that is much better than I expected and no tyre rub whatsoever.
It handles better, steers more positive and precise and half of the road shit is still on the roads compared to before.

Different van altogether

Sorry no pictures yet, I'll get some when I get a chance

I've just been out working all day with my van and for the first time in 13 months and 24k miles I have a steering lock that is much better than I expected and no tyre rub whatsoever.
It handles better, steers more positive and precise and half of the road shit is still on the roads compared to before.

Different van altogether

Sorry no pictures yet, I'll get some when I get a chance
Ok great thanks for the feedback

T6 T32 4Motion

Great info just looking at wheels just now and was wondering about the 275/255 debate, if you were replacing your tyres would you swap the rears to the 245?
or still keep the 275, need to send some picks or come over and get a shot of my VCDS

Great info just looking at wheels just now and was wondering about the 275/255 ............. Do you want staggered rims like mine are, wider at the rear ?
if you were replacing your tyres would you swap the rears to the 255 or still keep the 275 ........... The 275 rears are perfect on the 10j wide wheels and have never been an issue
need to send some picks or come over and get a shot of my VCDS ........ needs to stop raining and shitty salt on the roads before I take any pictures :eek::tongue bounce: I'll get my list ready for the VCDS :cool:

Here's one with the 275 front tyres, you can see how much the tyre hangs out past the wheel rim compared to the rear. The new front 245/45/20 is flat profiled like the rear is now and is much more controlled cornering, I guess the tyre was rolling side to side in the rim while cornering and giving the vague feeling.

P.S. can you see my alarm system primed and ready ?

20190405-202605-resized.jpg

They'd look cool powder coated bronze.

See above post but not powder coating !
The temperature can affect some alloys and if it gets chipped it's a nightmare to repair....apparently.
Plus I can choose a better colour if they're painted

I have 275 35 on my 8.5 and it's rubbing now i've lowered it. So I have some 255/35 on the way which I hope will fix it, a bit :D

Im running 255/45/18 on 8.5" banded on the fronts on solows and i have no issues with rubbing.

Back