20” Rs6-2 Alloys – Possible Cracked ?

lough90

Maintenance Supervisor - oil & gas
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone had any issues with alloy wheels cracking , I have 20” RS6-2 wheels and the passenger front keep losing pressure . Had a new tires fitted as I thought I may have a slow puncture . Again the passenger front drops. The strange thing is I, pump them up to 35-37 psi and after a couple of days it drops to 26psi where it will sit for weeks this was the same for both new and old tires….?

Went back to the garage and they took the tire off again and checked the rim they saw no indication of cracks or corrosion. Each time I had new valves fitted … a bit puzzled I be … o_O

Now iv starting looking at new wheels ..... more money ..... but nice

Take it back to your Tyre garage and ask them to put it in a bubble tank. . . . . .

just pump it right up, say put 50psi in it. then submerge in a big tank of water, . . . . .

you will see the bubbles escaping right away. . . . . .

that will tell you if you have a hair-line crack. . . . .

or

it leaking from the valve, valve seat or tyre rim, or puncture.

if its a Tyre/rim leak they do a black rubber paint stuff that is painted onto the rim where the tyre joins it to seal it before the tyre is refitted (had this done on some old BMW rims that had slight corrosion pitting and had a slow leak) - the black tyre shop goo solved that problem.

its a bit cheesy, but have a look here 8.05min into vid, an example of bubble tank.

Thank its booked in again after the weekend ... the problem is iv started to look at new wheels ... for sure ill sort these ones out now but after the bad weather i think a new set will have to be on the shopping list .... this moth its Dash cam installed, rear speakers and new aerial.

Back