Wheel bolts warning

Turbo5

T6 Pro
Just a word of warning for those with aftermarket alloys and wheel bolts . (could have been costly and caused a lot of heartache.)

Took my van (which is fitted with 20 inch alloys) to Costco for new tires, dropped it off and left them along with the Tuner McGard locking wheel bolt tool and the 10 point spline tool for the Tuner bolts .
Within 15 minutes of shopping I receive a call stating they had broken the tool and unfortunately there is nothing they could do as they aren't authorised to do this type of work.
The tool is a unique shape and only fits in the bolt about 5mm. Obviously my initial thoughts were they have buzz gunned it and broke it. ( I never said it but thought it ).
I had my car booked into a garage the following Friday (today) for front pads (Mot in a few weeks) and aircon re-gas and cleaning. Therefore I desperately needed the replacement tool. Monday was a bank holiday in most of Europe and McGard is in Germany. I eventually paid for express shipment next day delivery so it arrived Wednesday. (very costly)

I am now thinking should I try it myself to ensure the garage doesnt have the same issue, so thought I would just try cracking the standard bolts (10 point spline tuner bolts) I struggled cracking them with a longish extender bar I eventually bent the tool badly. My alloys which are aftermarket have deep seated bolt holes with little to no clearance to get these special sockets that sit over the bolt head if you need to remove. I bought a replacement 10 point tuner bolt tool (Amazon next day delivery) also ordered another set of locking bolts same brand McGard M14x1.5 tuner just in case I needed to replace.
Took the car to my independent garage this morning and explained the situation on what was wrong and what I had tried. He rang later , explaining that he had also broken the special locking tool , and had to use a scaffolding pipe extension to crack some of the standard bolts. He also had to butcher one of the locking bolts to remove it.

What he did tell me shocked me.

I am thinking the last person who had the wheels off must have really over tightened them , but that wasnt the case… they had actually corroded and seized. My van is a 2018 and the alloys were fitted straight after leaving the dealers . In my ownership its had 1 MOT and one service at the main dealers . (next MOT and main service due in 2 weeks ) hence new rubber and new brake pads which were low.

I am off on a family holiday to the South of France in July/ August 2 kids 2 big dogs , now imagine having a puncture and finding this problem ! Lesson learnt. with any vehicle you should check that you can remove the wheels, eg is the jack working do you know how to use it , lifting points, correct extension bar (some of the standard stuff wouldnt cracking open the bolts. and also ability to open your locking wheel nuts.

I have now decided to go for the swamper look ( 20 inch wheels with rubber bands might look nice but with the state of our roads near me it's not pleasurable to drive. So I have ordered some Oz Racing Raids in black on 235-65-17 with General Grabber AT3 tyres. plus new bolts and locking wheel nuts. Get them fitted next week. Looked at all the reviews and they appear very good.IMG_1374.jpegIMG_1375.jpegIMG_1376.jpegIMG_1377.jpeg

Just a word of warning for those with aftermarket alloys and wheel bolts . (could have been costly and caused a lot of heartache.)
Took my van which is fitted with 20 inch alloys to Costco for new tires, dropped it off and left them along with the Tuner McGard locking wheel bolt tool and the 10 point spline tool for the Tuner bolts .Within 15 minutes of shopping I receive a call stating they had broken the tool and unfortunately there is nothing they could do as they aren't authorised to do this type of work.
The tool is a unique shape and only fits in the bolt about 5mm. Obviously my initial thoughts were they have buzz gunned it and broke it. ( I never said it but thought it ).
I had my car booked into a garage the following Friday (today) for front pads (Mot in a few weeks) and aircon re-gas and cleaning. Therefore I desperately needed the replacement tool. Monday was a bank holiday in most of Europe and McGard is in Germany. I eventually paid for express shipment next day delivery so it arrived Wednesday. (very costly)

I am now thinking should I try it myself to ensure the garage doesnt have the same issue, so thought I would just try cracking the standard bolts (10 point spline tuner bolts) I struggled cracking them with a longish extender bar I eventually bent the tool badly. My alloys which are aftermarket have deep seated bolt holes with little to no clearance to get these special sockets that sit over the bolt head if you need to remove. I bought a replacement 10 point tuner bolt tool (Amazon next day delivery) also ordered another set of locking bolts same brand McGard M14x1.5 tuner just in case I needed to replace.
Took the car to my independent garage this morning and explained the situation on what was wrong and what I had tried. He rang later , explaining that he had also broken the special locking tool , and had to use a scaffolding pipe extension to crack some of the standard bolts. He also had to butcher one of the locking bolts to remove it. What he did tell me shocked me. I am thinking the last person who had the wheels off must have really over tightened them , but that wasnt the case. they had actually corroded and seized. My van is a 2018 and the alloys were fitted straight after leaving the dealers . In my ownership its had 1 MOT and one service at the main dealers . (next MOT and main service due in 2 weeks ) hence new rubber and new brake pads which were low.

I am off on a family holiday to the South of France in July/ August 2 kids 2 big dogs , now imagine having a puncture and finding this problem ! Lesson learnt. with any vehicle you should check that you can remove the wheels, eg is the jack working do you know how to use it , lifting points , correct extension bar (some of the standard stuff wouldnt cracking open the bolts. and also ability to open your locking wheel nuts.
I have now decided to go for the swamper look ( 20 inch wheels with rubber bands might look nice but with the state of our roads near me it's not pleasurable to drive. So I have ordered some Oz Racing Raids in black on 235-65-17 with General Grabber AT3 tyres. plus new bolts and locking wheel nuts. Get them fitted next week. Looked at all the reviews and they appear very good.View attachment 242620View attachment 242625View attachment 242627View attachment 242628
I had similar experience 4 years ago so I binned the locking wheel bolts and replaced with OE wheel bolts. No regrets.

No end of crap replacement parts on the market, stick with OEM.
Normally I remove wheels and take to the tyre fitters as the competition factor often means they are time monitored and don’t bother with a torque wrench.
You are more likely to have some success with a T bar using torque applied evenly at 180 degrees.

Last edited:
W o W . I,m not really an alloy person as I haven’t found the correct wheel yet probably. Me being very picky too. I have always just ran steels. But this is a wee eye opener. Thanks for putting it up, you have probably saved people a few quid.

Use only OEM or TUV approved. I don’t use the locking bolts as they are easily damaged by the poor design. Wheel bolt maintenance is often overlooked. A simple clean of the threads and a tiny smear of copper grease will save a lot of hassle with rust and corrosion. I personally never let anyone use a battery or air tool to remove or tighten the bolts. I crack them with a breaker bar using proportionate effort. Similarly I use my own torque wrench set to the correct setting - depending on alloy or steel wheels. - most tyre monkeys don’t bother with correct torques tend to over tighten bolts.

I don’t use the locking bolts as they are easily damaged by the poor design
I think they are damaged by the wrong tools and technique, I’ve been using the same set for 8 years and they are as good as when I first got them.

Back