18 Inch Tyres For 4motion Struggles

duffersj

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi I'm struggling to find any all weather at tyres for 18 inch sport line wheels for my newly acquired van . ( I love it )
The only ones I can find in 255 45 18 are Bridgestone weather control, I tow a twin axle caravan so want something that will help ,
Worries about br goodritch in the weather whilst towing but need something for getting off of festival sites etc.
Starting to think about changing to 17 or 16 inch wheels possibly steel rims any advice please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think those Bridgestones would be a perfect tyre,
You could go a size bigger at 235/55/18 Nokians Weatherproof SUV Also very good tyre, but will slightly alter the gearing.

I have run all season /all weathers for while now, and generally they are brilliant imo, particularly for a van; they have the M&S rating so are better on muddy sites; plus better performance in rain; and all year around ability; plus they often last 35k mile plus with 3mm of tread still left. There is no down side in my experinace

Hi Chris thanks for your reply .
I've also found 235 50 18 tyres that are less than .08 size difference so might me worth looking at .
I'm concerned about going to an AT tyre because they look fab but I dont want to compromise on road ability

Hi Chris thanks for your reply .
I've also found 235 50 18 tyres that are less than .08 size difference so might me worth looking at .
I'm concerned about going to an AT tyre because they look fab but I dont want to compromise on road ability
Yes I agree, I've ran them before (AT's), and I wouldn't again unless I was doing some off roading that could damage the tyres, as AT's usually have more robust abrasion/cut resistant rubber.
The Nokians and Bridgestones I would recommend aren't AT's; they are all season/all weather with really good road characteristics; If I was picking tyres for a hot hatch, I may not pick these for summer use, but for a Van they are spot on all year round imo.:thumbsup:; in-fact they are often better than summers in standing water, which is often the most difficult summer conditions you are likely to encounter on road.

Last edited:
Just bought 4 Bridgestone A005's from Autodoc.co.uk.
They had the best price I could find for these delivered at £147.23 each at the moment.

I've got Bridgestone weather control 18s on mine. Been on 6w and like them a lot so far. Fit is perfect and noticeably more stable than Devonports with the factory skinny tyres.

Mine are still in the wrappers waiting on my banded steels from Duchy, due to arrive tomorrow, might get them mounted at the weekend depending on access to tyre machine.

I've got Bridgestone weather control 18s on mine. Been on 6w and like them a lot so far. Fit is perfect and noticeably more stable than Devonports with the factory skinny tyres.
Hi ann3x
So you have a pic of them o the van.
I'm wondering if I should buy some devonports and put latitude cross tyres on them
But if thdc weather controls are chunky enough could stick with the 18s

Hi ann3x
So you have a pic of them o the van.
I'm wondering if I should buy some devonports and put latitude cross tyres on them
But if thdc weather controls are chunky enough could stick with the 18s
I think the 18" wheels with Bridgestones All-season is the way to go, if you want all-year round performance, my choice is 18" Amarok wheels, powder coated. (when my 17" nokians get close to wearing out......)

I think the 18" wheels with Bridgestones All-season is the way to go, if you want all-year round performance, my choice is 18" Amarok wheels, powder coated. (when my 17" nokians get close to wearing out......)
Exactly what I've got. Will take a pic tomorrow

This is the tread pattern, not an off road tyre as the tread blocks are quite close together, more like a snow tyre (which is backed up by their 3 peak snowflake rating) but in a compound that will last 30,000 milesIMG20190411072232.jpg
They are A rated for wet grip and I can see why with all those grooves to get rid of the water. They look like an F1 wet tyre. setup_rain_tires.png

Last edited:
Back