16" (Crafter) steels won't fit over T6 brake callipers

campergeek

Alex
VIP Member
Got my new (2017) T6 (T28) this weekend, and it has 16" Claytons on it. I've bought some black VW OEM 16" steels that I thought would be a straight swap, sold as T5/T6 wheels. Just been told by my tyre guy that the steels are rubbing on the caliper and won't fit. Do I need spacers or different wheels or something else? Thanks.

You sure it’s a t28? Or has it had bigger brakes fitted? The t32 has bigger brakes I believe which 16” wheels won’t fit over without catching the caliper. Theoretically if it’s a t28 they should bolt straight on.

They can't be transporter wheels, 16" Clayton wouldn't have a chance of fitting over the larger brakes and I know 16" T5/5.1/6/6.1 will fit over the smaller brakes so either your tyre guy is mistaken or they're not the right wheels.

If I'm not mistaken I think they may be crafter wheels - I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will confirm.

They're definitely the smaller brakes, genuine 16" T5 onwards wheels will fit over them.

If I'm not mistaken I think they may be crafter wheels - I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will confirm.
You could be on to something there, looking at the weight rating I can't think what else they could be from?

From Crafter - 2N0601027L, ET60 (vs. T6 ET52 or ET51).

Spacers? Transporters always benefit from spacers anyway, that's if the PCD is correct.

As far as I understand, the PCD and centre bore do match. If so, how do I know what size spacers I need and where do I get them? This is all new to me! I assume this just means the wheels will stick out a little more then? Might not be worth the hassle as it's only about £100 for a set that fit.

Last edited:
People are giving away 16” steel wheels on here. I gave away a set with tyres a few weeks ago.

Pete

Back