140PS. Oil Leak?

mindthegap

Hi, I've been to look at a 2016 140BHP Manual camper today. It's done 115K miles and 2 mots ago there was an advisory for an oil leak but not excessive. Owner said it was sorted when cambelt changed but looks like cambelt was done before the mot with the advisory.

I have had a look under front of van and looks like there is definitely oil there which is wet. Photos show near side front wheel and leak. Any ideas what it could be or should I steer clear and keep looking for another van?

Thanks

PXL_20231014_151920921.jpg

I think getting better access is essential to identify the source of the leak, we could all guess about it but I think you need certainty, not guesswork.
It might be power steering fluid leaking from the rack, until you've got a better view you'll never know.
A seller who wants to sell a van with an obvious leak shouldn't object to putting the van on ramps for you to have a better view, if he does object, walk away.
Edit; If a professional had rectified the leak they should have used some degreaser to lean the area afterwards. I know I would and I'm just a DIYer.

Give the seller the opportunity to degrease it and then go out for a 20 mile drive with them and check if there’s still a leak.
OR
Get a quote for a crankseal replacement and get a discount on the asking price.

The leak in the picture looks like it would just be the output seal (driveshaft seal) on the gearbox.

Are you saying there is another leak on the timing belt side of the engine too? Or is the gearbox side leak the only one it has..?

The leak in the picture looks like it would just be the output seal (driveshaft seal) on the gearbox.

Are you saying there is another leak on the timing belt side of the engine too? Or is the gearbox side leak the only one it has..?
Thanks for the reply. Leak looks to be just on that side

Back