1st Mot passed with minor oil leak!

Clyro

VIP Member
Had the vans 1st mot done which it passed but the tester noted a minor oil leak. After I investigated it I found the source see photo. So it is either the crankshaft seal or sump seal on the plastic part that houses the crankshaft seal or both - that's the bad news, good news is I had the mot done early and the 3 year warranty runs out on 9th june. So it booked in on the 7th. Can anyone tell me if this is normaly covered with a trim to pretect it from the elements?

IMG_20230531_110422.jpg

I had my crank seal replaced at about 39k. Quite a common fault apparently. I had it done when I had my cam belt replaced.

I also bought an undertray to protect the underside of the engine. About £60 and easy to fit.

No, it’s open to the wheel arch and under engine if no cover fitted.
While you are changing the seal / housing I suggest getting the timing belt kit (inc water pump), aux belt and tensioner renewed. It’s a good chance to check the alternator free wheel pulley clutch function with the aux’ belt removed IF it’s a Bluemotion smart alternator model.
Good news that VW agreed to warranty as I was under the impression that oil seals were not covered.

I had my crank seal replaced at about 39k. Quite a common fault apparently. I had it done when I had my cam belt replaced.

I also bought an undertray to protect the underside of the engine. About £60 and easy to fit.
Good idea to protect the engine for sure. I'll look into that but glad it wasn't fitted before mot as tester might not have noticed oil leak as it wasn't even showing up on the driveway.

No, it’s open to the wheel arch and under engine if no cover fitted.
While you are changing the seal / housing I suggest getting the timing belt kit (inc water pump), aux belt and tensioner renewed. It’s a good chance to check the alternator free wheel pulley clutch function with the aux’ belt removed IF it’s a Bluemotion smart alternator model.
Good news that VW agreed to warranty as I was under the impression that oil seals were not covered.
Oh the van has only done 19k miles and still under manufacturer's warranty until the 9th june anyway. Do you think they would do that if I pay for parts and extra time for labour?

Oh the van has only done 19k miles and still under manufacturer's warranty until the 9th june anyway. Do you think they would do that if I pay for parts and extra time for labour?
There is no extra labour other than unbolting the aux belt tensioner (5 min). Unfortunately main dealers book on the job rather than what it takes to actually do the job.
You might get a large discount if you moan about the inconvenience and poor reliability at just 19K miles.
Whatever they offer get a written quote for parts and labour before agreeing to the work.
I assume as they are doing invasive work into the sump you are also getting an oil service in the warranty deal.

Good idea to protect the engine for sure. I'll look into that but glad it wasn't fitted before mot as tester might not have noticed oil leak as it wasn't even showing up on the driveway.
I noticed a slight weep when I took the undertray off to change the oil, and it was picked up again when I got the cam belt done. It was so minor it’d not have dropped any on the driveway.

There is no extra labour other than unbolting the aux belt tensioner (5 min). Unfortunately main dealers book on the job rather than what it takes to actually do the job.
You might get a large discount if you moan about the inconvenience and poor reliability at just 19K miles.
Whatever they offer get a written quote for parts and labour before agreeing to the work.
I assume as they are doing invasive work into the sump you are also getting an oil service in the warranty deal.
Report from garage confirming crankshaft seal leaking and will be replaced free of charge under original warranty as the part is under 3year old.

Report from garage confirming crankshaft seal leaking and will be replaced free of charge under original warranty as the part is under 3year old.
Good news, see if you can get the timing belt kit replaced labour free, no harm in trying.

Good news, see if you can get the timing belt kit replaced labour free, no harm in trying.
Got van back today and all good. I had asked about the timing belt and was told it has to be replaced at 120000km (75000 miles) and in the unlikely event that it was to snap it would be covered as I have taken out the all in deal for servicing and extended warranty. Apparently there is no age requirement for this part. So the timing belt will probably get done in about 2 year's.

Got van back today and all good. I had asked about the timing belt and was told it has to be replaced at 120000km (75000 miles) and in the unlikely event that it was to snap it would be covered as I have taken out the all in deal for servicing and extended warranty. Apparently there is no age requirement for this part. So the timing belt will probably get done in about 2 year's.
Im not sure about that. My van went in today and they found crankcase seal leaking. Under all in warranty and it doesn’t include oil leaks. They said cambelt due as just turned 4 years old. 20000 miles. Ill pay for the cam belt but they’ll have a fight regarding the crank seal leak.

Im not sure about that. My van went in today and they found crankcase seal leaking. Under all in warranty and it doesn’t include oil leaks. They said cambelt due as just turned 4 years old. 20000 miles. Ill pay for the cam belt but they’ll have a fight regarding the crank seal leak.
My van is just 3 years old and the crankshaft seal leak was discovered 10 days before warranty ran out. So it was replaced FOC. If it was after the warranty ended then I would have had to pay for it as it is considered a wear and tear part over 3 years old. Van going back in for software update on head unit tomorrow so I ask for a third time re the timing belt replacement schedule. The question is replacement of timing belt a recommendation or mandatory at 4 years? I believe there is no age requirement in the service schedule.

My van is just 3 years old and the crankshaft seal leak was discovered 10 days before warranty ran out. So it was replaced FOC. If it was after the warranty ended then I would have had to pay for it as it is considered a wear and tear part over 3 years old. Van going back in for software update on head unit tomorrow so I ask for a third time re the timing belt replacement schedule. The question is replacement of timing belt a recommendation or mandatory at 4 years? I believe there is no age requirement in the service schedule.
It’s your van, there is no ’mandatory’, it’s your decision. Very long discussion already on the Forum with different opinions.
My 2016 van is at 59K miles on the original belt, I inspect it annually.

I’ve just had the second MOT done on the van and have the all in warranty which wouldn’t cover the belt but I have the same dealer handle all my van service so was surprised that they haven’t raised the timing belt etc with me. Last time they recommended changing the brake fluid as I believe that was due according to the schedule but nothing mentioned on the belt/pump.

Now going outside to check for oil leaks!

It’s your van, there is no ’mandatory’, it’s your decision. Very long discussion already on the Forum with different opinions.
My 2016 van is at 59K miles on the original belt, I inspect it annually.
Yes and I have read it but I am not looking for an opinion but rather the correct information. I spoke to the service agent again and he confirmed 210000km for replacement if inspected every 45000km (30000 miles) or 5 years (same as Germany?) whichever is sooner. He showed me the relevant parts on the online service schedule for my specific engine. He also confirm if it was to fail it would indeed be covered under the all in warranty as would the new crankshaft seal that has just been renewed. He also said he didn't know were the 4 years that everyone quotes comes from. The fact that your belt has lasted 6-7 years and you inspect annually shows that it can last longer and think I will start an inspection regime myself. Do you service annually or the long service?

How did yo get on with the crankshaft seal?

Yes and I have read it but I am not looking for an opinion but rather the correct information. I spoke to the service agent again and he confirmed 210000km for replacement if inspected every 45000km (30000 miles) or 5 years (same as Germany?) whichever is sooner. He showed me the relevant parts on the online service schedule for my specific engine. He also confirm if it was to fail it would indeed be covered under the all in warranty as would the new crankshaft seal that has just been renewed. He also said he didn't know were the 4 years that everyone quotes comes from. The fact that your belt has lasted 6-7 years and you inspect annually shows that it can last longer and think I will start an inspection regime myself. Do you service annually or the long service?
Isn’t 4 years it stated in the documents somewhere?

Well, at 4 years and 20k I’m not doing it anyway. Next time I feel flush I’ll consider but that’s not going to be this year. But is it not official guidance in UK to change at 4 years and therefore failure now would not be covered by the extended warranty but as you say there are many discussions ongoing on other threads so I’ll stop now.

Reactions: DXX
As I said for my engine 110bhp 2.0l I spoke to service agent today who showed me the relevant pages on his computer and verified 210000km and 5 year subject to inspection. Also verified it would be covered under extended warranty if it went. So i will get it done in 2 years and possibly extend warranty for another 2 year's. This isn't my opinion it is what I was told by VW garage and I'm happy with that.

Back