12v socket not powering devices?

TheDumbOx

ETA: I'm a complete muppet. I thought it was running on an inline fuse and it's not, it's going via the fuse unit so it wasn't fused .... the shame and humiliation!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hoping someone can please help.

I have a 12v socket connected to my leisure battery but it's not powering any devices.

I checked the socket with the multimeter and it's showing 10.84v so it is getting juice. It's a new socket (CBE), so it should be good. I've tested it with various devices from the 12v fridge (which is why I installed the socket), to a couple of USB adaptors and a sat nav but none of them power up, even with wiggling, ensuring the contacts are lined up etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this should be? Is it just that the socket is not good for devices? I can't understand why it won't work.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA, Liz

Last edited:
Can you measure the voltage when something is connected ?
10.8v is very low, implying a discharged or damaged battery. It should be at least 12v

Pete

First job is to charge the battery and try again.
I'll take it for a run and see what happens. What kind of voltage should we be getting from the socket and how much voltage does it need to power up a USB adaptor? I'm more concerned that even a small device isn't working.

Back