1 week to go....

@Walski - 31st of July for us. Plymouth-Santander, touring Galicia and Portugal then back on the 1st September. Rather excited!
Managed to rent our house out for most of it too which covers the entire holiday. Hurrah!

That's nice, really nice!

The only thing I don't get with VW campervans is where do you put everything? If I went away with my mob Mrs, 4yrs & 1yrs old girls there wouldn't be enough space to live out of the van for 24/48hrs. Came across a German plated Sprinter 4x4 near Dover yesterday now that just seemed so much more practical. I get that the T5 &6's can get more places and car parks etc but it seems to come at such a compromise. I kept flirting with the idea of a caravan to get away in of a weekend but not sure we want to spend weekends surrounded by the strange folk who I remember inhabitanting camp sites when we where kids and proffer the idea of rough camping but not so easy with a caravan towed by a van lol!

Thanks @mhill, to be honest with kids at 4 & 1 and all the kit you need at that age I'm not too sure it's doable either!!! My boys are 9&7 and wanting to get all adventurous so we thought we'd give it a go. Mrs has never really camped so could be interesting. More than anything we wanted something that we can get away in on a weekend spending quality time as a family as a bit of "it's Friday eve, weathers good, let's go somewhere type thing". We are going away for 2 weeks in France but we've only got a few nights in the van in between a few nights in various cottages etc. One thing that makes a big difference is the rear seat on sliding rails..... Move it forward right up behind the front seats for travelling (better for kids), chuck all you stuff behind the rear to the site, put the awning up, chuck all the stuff in the awning, push seat back, put kettle on/crack a beer!!!
Happy days

We've done a week in Mull with the kids aged 18 months and 3 (plus a dog) then two 5 week Euro trips as the kids got older.
They are now 5 and 7; less clobber, more space.

We pack light and have plenty of space. Just plan well, be prepared to wash clothes, etc. It's really not a problem.

The van looks stunning @waski , i am in the same boat as you guys with 2 young children. me and the wife have been thinking about the idea of camping with the t6 maybe have it converted like yours @Walski, get a tent etc so we can just grab the kids and dogs etc and go anytime we want , my wife suffers with her heath so this makes planning breaks hard sometimes, so the flexablty would be a benefit to us also.

We use a cheap pop up tent from Decathlon. The dog goes in it when we're in the UK, we use it to stash clobber (child seats, etc) when abroad. We've never been charged any extra for it and it slots in easily in the boot.
Do think long and hard though SG - it would be a real shame if you converted your van then realised it wasn't possible to use it properly. I know of several who have shelled out for an all singing, all dancing Cali or converted van then realised it's not for them - you won't have a loo, or shower and while you can wash up in the little sinks, it's FAR easier to use site washing up facilities.
Your first night WILL be hard too - get through that (get the kids utterly knackered - ignore normal bed times) and you should have a ball.

We have considered the good points you make @Polzeylad + as you say it is a big investment not to work out really. we will have to see how it goes in time and maybe try it first. many thanks

Last edited:
There's places you can hire a Cali, I'm considering it to see how we get on with three little ones

Pauly - four of you in total or five? Cali's (well the Ocean and SE) are strictly four seaters. You can get an extra seat but it's in the middle of the floor and totally in the way!
A Cali Beach has more seats but less camping kit.

As well as weekend camping trips away we also do quite a bit of driving around visiting friends and family. We got fed up with everyone piled into the family car (Golf), two child seats in the back, dog sat on back seat in between kids. Stopping off at services, can't go in to eat 'cos of dog, can't eat outside 'cos of weather so your all crammed in the golf trying to scoff a McMuckies!!! So we are thinking of it as a people carrier type family wagon too!!!

@Polzeylad theres five in total so would be a two vehicle operation but want to try sleeping in it to see how's kids get on, they would all fit on a double bed, I have kombi six seats and considering large drive away tent and/or pop top roof/bed setup, plenty of room in back with triple bench flipped right forwards just not sure best plan thought a rental Cali might give us a better insight ??
Have also been looking at removable stand alone self contained sink/cooker units with integral water and waste containers inside as it's also a day to day vehicle, lots of options not sure best plan for daily run about/day van/occasional camper

Good idea to try before you buy.
I reckon a high quality conversion company (Three Bridges or similar) would be ideal but renting one could work too.
The lower bed is quite narrow BTW!!

Back