Biggest fridge capacity in a camper conversion?

Cymru

Hi - what is the largest capacity fridge (with freezer compartment) that can be fitted in to a side conversion?

Most standard fridges seem very small, only enough for basics for a couple of days. We want to self cater in hot countries, without going to a shop more than once a week. Our previous coach built motorhome had a 90litre dometic tower fridge (which we fillled). Anything similar suitable for a transport side conversion? Thanks!

Reactions: CAB
TBH, there's a reason why the Dometic CRX50 (or similar) is probably the most widely used fridge in camper side conversions and I doubt you would get anything significantly bigger in without sacrificing space elsewhere. That said, IMHO you might be better off with a top loading fridge which has the advantage of using the same volume more efficiently (ie. stuff doesn't try to fall out when you open the door!) and also doesn't lose so much cold air every time you open it in really hot weather. We've never actually had one of the latter but I can imagine a downside would be rummaging through the thing as everything that I wanted would inevitably be right at the bottom! Either way, a weeks worth of supplies might be a bit of a stretch when only 50 litres of space is available (with or without a freezer compartment). Another option might be a fridge plus a separate compressor cold box but, again, it needs more space. Just a few thoughts from a non-expert.

We still use our old crappy electric cool box when staying for a while at places. Usually put all the beers in that and keep the fridge for food. We keep it in the awning most of the time. It’s not a big one but I think one sized to suit would be a better option than filling the limited space in the van with a permanently installed solution

I have a 65L fridge like this one (many suppliers all using the same unit). 65L, and shallower front to back than a Dometic, but a bit wider. This allows my sliding bed to slide past it, by having it back into the void space of the van wall. Excellent price £329, and so far works well (had it for a year).

IMHO you might be better off with a top loading fridge which has the advantage of using the same volume more efficiently (ie. stuff doesn't try to fall out when you open the door!) and also doesn't lose so much cold air every time you open it in really hot weather. We've never actually had one of the latter but I can imagine a downside would be rummaging through the thing as everything that I wanted would inevitably be right at the bottom!
I'd suggest that a drawer fridge combines the best attributes of a top-loader and a conventional, hinged-door fridge. You don't get things falling out or lose the cold air, as with a conventional fridge, but you also avoid the pitfalls of a top-loader - i.e. the "rummaging" and having to clear the worksurface above every time you need to access.

Agree, though, none of the three designs address the OP's requirement for additional capacity. Perhaps a taller, narrower fridge positioned where the "wardrobe" cupboard is usually located might work. Not seen one myself - has anyone come across such a beast?

Dometic/Waeco CRX65 Coolmatic Compressor 12v Fridge, no problem with a bit of ingenuity with the side of the van. The later versions do not need clearance at the back for air circulation as long as you can provide an airway across the top of the rear where the compressor is fitted.
1708702764470.png

Fitted like this and used in normal UK ambient temperatures the integral fan will keep it cool. I have an additional thermostatically controlled fan which extracts air from the rear cavity and works well in hotter summer temperatures when on holiday in Europe.

Thanks all - really helpful! It looks like 65 litre might be a reasonable option. Does anyone know of any reputable converters that include this size of fridge as standard?

Rod_vw: we are very interested in your photo above as along with a 65 litre fridge, it also has an angled unit behind the drivers seat - something else we are also keen to find so that we can recline the drivers seat a bit more. Do you know who did the conversion in your photo?

Many thanks all

I have a dometic 80l fridge fitted in my van. As I live in Australia I need a bigger fridge to keep our food and drink cold on longish trips.
I have a lithium lifepo4 battery and plenty of solar to keep it running when off grid .
It fits in a lwb van easily.

Thanks all - really helpful! It looks like 65 litre might be a reasonable option. Does anyone know of any reputable converters that include this size of fridge as standard?

Rod_vw: we are very interested in your photo above as along with a 65 litre fridge, it also has an angled unit behind the drivers seat - something else we are also keen to find so that we can recline the drivers seat a bit more. Do you know who did the conversion in your photo?

Many thanks all
@Cymru I know that camper rather well as I converted it myself back in 2016/7.

Although I do still have it, it is now sold but you can see details on my website.

The T6 has been replaced by a LWB MAN TGE, however not built by me.

1708719665682.png

We have a 50l drawer fridge, that’s fine for a weekend or where you can frequently re-stock. When we go for longer trips to warmer climes, we take our National Luna weekender. This gives us a further 50l of fridge & freezer space. The advantage being that it sits outside the van when we’re parked up & doesn’t take up space in the van. We find this “split” approach is more flexible & we can adapt it to our needs.

@Salty Spuds. The prospect of leaving over a grands worth of shiny box outside the van fills me with horror but it looks a lovely bit of kit.

Reactions: Bav
If you're happy fabricating custom gelcoat you can do what the yachts do and build a custom shape that maximises space and add a compressor and heat exchanger.

Generally a top loader approach but the handy thing is you can get the compressor away from the cooling compartment so the compressor gets good ventilation and the heat doesn't bleed back in.

Back