YouTube ‘How To’ or ‘Familiarisation’ video requests

JFWerkstatt

joshuaaitken
VCDS User
Trade Member
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone,
I own a small garage in Gloucester that is trying to target the Transporter maintenance market.

I’ve recently jump started my YouTube channel back into life. The new idea is for me to do 5 uploads a week, Mon-Fri. I’d like to do a ‘DITLO’ ‘day in the life of’ for my small garage.

An addition will be some extras where I’ll do a short video to familiarise you to a system. These can be literally anything you’d send your van to a garage for as I literally do everything.

Providing this post doesn’t breach any rules, my hope is that you’ll comment the systems you’d like me to include then I can reply to your comment with the link.

In the interest of honesty, this post benefits both me and you:

Me) I/JF Werkstatt get an insight into the common issues you guys would like to see, enabling me to target certain areas to up the view count

You) Get to request a video to help yourselves before attempting a job or to decide whether you’d like to even attempt it

08AF0954-120D-4680-A9D2-271E9D4323E1.jpeg
These are 2 of my 3 rigs

An interesting proposition. The DITLO vids should provide a useful insight too. :thumbsup:

Five videos a week is going to be hard to sustain. Better start with less videos per week with better quality and more interesting than just putting out vids because you have to. Quality not quantity.
I have all the clobber to do a better quality video but not the time to do so. My thoughts are that I’d do everything on my phone and capture more without having to transfer files to the laptop etc. It’s never going to be Mr Beast but I can edit a video in about 10 minutes meaning I can get a tea time upload done, I might swap to 3 times a week to give myself a bit if breathing space, though. Todays is nearly done and half edited so it might not be as bad as you think?

Even at 3 uploads a week, you'll soon burn through your content, which might be OK to start with, and help build your channel, but viewer's can be fickle, and can actually become overloaded, especially with the 'how to' type of videos you are talking about.

Speaking from personal experience as a YouTube content creator, you need to concentrate on building a following to start with, and a couple of videos a week is a good place to start.

Try to resist monetizing your videos to start with, as, believe it or not, you will make better content if you're not thinking how much they will earn. (I didn't monetize my content until over 1 million veiws and 10k subscribers).

Definitely look at what other T5/6 content there is on YouTube as well, and try to bring something different.

I have watched a few of your videos, and I don't see any reason why your channel shouldn't grow. (oh yeah, and refrain from swearing, politics and playing music in the background)

Good luck

Editing is key for my short attention span on a video. Show me clearly what’s going on, avoid rambling introductions.

Videos I have found most useful recently are Kiravans how to fit windows, and a variety of ‘where the clips are’ from YouTube. The ‘where the clips are’ let you into the secret knowledge that is hard to find on a drawing or written word.

Reactions: CAB
Editing is key for my short attention span on a video. Show me clearly what’s going on, avoid rambling introductions.

Videos I have found most useful recently are Kiravans how to fit windows, and a variety of ‘where the clips are’ from YouTube. The ‘where the clips are’ let you into the secret knowledge that is hard to find on a drawing or written word.
I have a short attention span too so this advice will be reflected in future videos. Would make life a lot easier for everyone if I was to identify key stages rather than show what I’ve just done.
I’ve diagnosed a steering rack leak today so I’ll have a go in tomorrows video doing this in a ‘where the clips are’ kind of way.

Even at 3 uploads a week, you'll soon burn through your content, which might be OK to start with, and help build your channel, but viewer's can be fickle, and can actually become overloaded, especially with the 'how to' type of videos you are talking about.

Speaking from personal experience as a YouTube content creator, you need to concentrate on building a following to start with, and a couple of videos a week is a good place to start.

Try to resist monetizing your videos to start with, as, believe it or not, you will make better content if you're not thinking how much they will earn. (I didn't monetize my content until over 1 million veiws and 10k subscribers).

Definitely look at what other T5/6 content there is on YouTube as well, and try to bring something different.

I have watched a few of your videos, and I don't see any reason why your channel shouldn't grow. (oh yeah, and refrain from swearing, politics and playing music in the background)

Good luck
I get what you’re saying but the beauty of my little garage is that there’s so much variety, I get something different in each day (other than services and timing belts).

I’m not too bothered *at the moment* about monetizing the videos but I’m sure that’ll change when I can earn a few pennies for doing something I am already doing. I actually enjoy doing it which I think is the reason for my return. I’ll never have the money or funds to do it as a professional but I have seen a few people in other industries gain a good following from the regular upload schedule. Olly Agricontract and Chris Allen are the two I regularly binge.

I’ll see how this week goes, if anything like today it’ll end up being less than 5 a week as the afternoon was taken up by invoicing and visitors. I’m back this evening on the steering rack so I’ll have another stab tonight at the short and sweet videos.

I realise I need to stop swearing

I meant where the hidden plastic clips are that you have to prod with 6 hands at once.

I think everyone’s alternative interpretation of indexed clips is also a good idea!
I think you’re into a winner with this or at least my interpretation of what you meant. Apply the ‘where are the clips’ to everything common and it serves as a benefit to everyone

Back