Hi everyone, update on the illegal tyres saga. I spent 40 minutes arguing with the staff of www.yourcamper.co.uk this evening, funnily enough the salesman in question did finally admit that his initial method of calculation was wrong (worrying that he sells camper vans and for a living) and that the tyres were illegal, unfortunately he couldn’t go as far as to stomach an apology. The owner was finally sent out to speak to me, for some reason he still persisted that a load rating of 97 was fine even though he had no idea as to how this was calculated. Once I quoted the regs and demonstrated the calculation in front of him he seemed to change tact a little. I quoted the sales of goods act and reminded www.yourcamper.co.uk that I was entitled to a full refund or the tyres replaced for legal ones. For some reason your camper only wanted to offer me £350 and then £450. I reminded the staff that I was also entitled to a refund of the VAT I paid on the wheels on purchase. For some reason the owner of www.yourcamper.co.uk thinks that as I am not a business I am not entitled to a refund of the VAT on the initial purchase???? After some healthy debate and mention of trading standards intervention the manager finally agreed to refund me the VAT I paid on the wheels at purchase(DUH). After the challenges of last nights phone conversations and today’s drama on the forecourt I would not recommend this company to anyone. The aftercare has been horrendous. The companies customer service has given me no reason to sugar coat this message. The company have 6 vans on their forecourt with illegal tyres all ready for sale right now. The only vans with legal tyres on the forecourt are vans with original VW wheels (this is a clue that you are doing something wrong www.yourcamper.co.uk). Sadly I have a 12 month warranty on the conversion provided by the company, no surprises to say that I have no faith in any aftercare now. Thanks to forum members for taking the time to share knowledge, without your info I may have allowed these people to pull the wool over my eyes and baffle me with BS!!!!!!!
I’m glad you eventually got the refund that you should and also glad that you found the help you needed on this forum. It does make me wonder how many people are being taken advantage of by companies like this.

Glad you eventually got the right outcome, once you’ve had a chance to gather your thoughts it might be worth leaving a review in the relevant section on this forum to potentially warn others of the service you have received. (This thread will easily be lost)

Hi everyone, update on the illegal tyres saga. I spent 40 minutes arguing with the staff of www.yourcamper.co.uk this evening, funnily enough the salesman in question did finally admit that his initial method of calculation was wrong (worrying that he sells camper vans and for a living) and that the tyres were illegal, unfortunately he couldn’t go as far as to stomach an apology. The owner was finally sent out to speak to me, for some reason he still persisted that a load rating of 97 was fine even though he had no idea as to how this was calculated. Once I quoted the regs and demonstrated the calculation in front of him he seemed to change tact a little. I quoted the sales of goods act and reminded www.yourcamper.co.uk that I was entitled to a full refund or the tyres replaced for legal ones. For some reason your camper only wanted to offer me £350 and then £450. I reminded the staff that I was also entitled to a refund of the VAT I paid on the wheels on purchase. For some reason the owner of www.yourcamper.co.uk thinks that as I am not a business I am not entitled to a refund of the VAT on the initial purchase???? After some healthy debate and mention of trading standards intervention the manager finally agreed to refund me the VAT I paid on the wheels at purchase(DUH). After the challenges of last nights phone conversations and today’s drama on the forecourt I would not recommend this company to anyone. The aftercare has been horrendous. The companies customer service has given me no reason to sugar coat this message. The company have 6 vans on their forecourt with illegal tyres all ready for sale right now. The only vans with legal tyres on the forecourt are vans with original VW wheels (this is a clue that you are doing something wrong www.yourcamper.co.uk). Sadly I have a 12 month warranty on the conversion provided by the company, no surprises to say that I have no faith in any aftercare now. Thanks to forum members for taking the time to share knowledge, without your info I may have allowed these people to pull the wool over my eyes and baffle me with BS!!!!!!!
Just looked on their website, all the T5's have the 17" Devenport wheels on from a T6. They must shift the legal VW wheels onto the T5's to make them look newer and stick the illegal 20" wheels on the T6's & T6.1's. well done on today's victory.

Let’s just hope that your legitimate complaint might get through to www.yourcamper.co.uk and in future they will do the right thing and fit the correct tyres to these vehicles.... surely it can’t cost that much more for them to fit the right tyre in the first place! Why can’t folk just do what’s right instead of trying to make a quick buck?

Let’s just hope that your legitimate complaint might get through to www.yourcamper.co.uk and in future they will do the right thing and fit the correct tyres to these vehicles.... surely it can’t cost that much more for them to fit the right tyre in the first place! Why can’t folk just do what’s right instead of trying to make a quick buck?
My thoughts exactly. I think the guys pride got in the way and instead of putting his hands up and admitting he was wrong he got the shovel out and dug, and dug and dug...... either that or they are just money grabbing dodgy salesmen!

My thoughts exactly. I think the guys pride got in the way and instead of putting his hands up and admitting he was wrong he got the shovel out and dug, and dug and dug...... either that or they are just money grabbing dodgy salesmen!
It doesn’t hurt to admit you’re wrong sometimes.... that might cost him dearly in the future.... I’m sure he doesn’t realise the power or reach of this forum!

Wessex Vans did similar to me as well, selling me wheels with incorrectly load rated tyres and then being adamant that I was in the wrong.

I got an email from the technical department of Dunlop categorically stating that Wessex were wrong and the tyres were not load rated for my van.

It just shows how many shitty conversion companies are out there, even the well established companies.

I really feel for you guys who have been sold unfit for purpose tyres, it could happen to any of us. It either shows a naivety of the company or unprofessionalism in not knowing your product or business, either way, waving off a family in an illegal and dangerous camper van is really quiet a serious error.

The measure of a good company is what they do moving forward. A decent honest company after being pointed out it's errors, should be removing the illegal tyres from all its current stock and making contact with previous customers and advising them of its mistake and offering a solution.

Iets hope that the companies mentioned in this thread do the right thing.

If I was you I would still let trading standards know especially if you have seen vehicles on the forecourt with wrong tyres , unfortunately there will be people out there that won’t have a clue and will have the wool pulled over there eyes. Please for your out come tho :thumbsup:

If I was you I would still let Trading Standards know - especially if you have seen vehicles on the forecourt with wrong tyres...
unfortunately there will be people out there that won’t have a clue and will have the wool pulled over there eyes.
I agree.

I also agree. I would also go back to the company and ask them if they are going to fix the problem with the vehicles on their forecourt, and are going to contact people they have sold to already, to get this fixed.

I would be interested in their response.

Pete

I am almost certain they will do nothing about the vans on the forecourt and about the vans previously sold. I have found the whole episode pretty exhausting and would like to forget about it all, but in truth I feel morally obliged to do something and make the relevant people aware. The service provided by the company has given me absolutely no reason not to.

Last edited:
Other companies have been complicit in selling vehicles with incorrectly load rated tyres too.

Leighton and Richter Sport too, but after I kicked up a stink and copied them all in on the reply from Dunlop so I got my money refunded, no apology though.

I've no idea of its legality but here's a tactic that I used years ago when an 'approved' car that I had bought from a main dealer had a fault in the drivers seat base which came up at MOT time - the dealer basically said 'pay for it to be fixed or fail the MOT'. It was about 14 years ago now but if IIRC, the job circa £1K. They tried to tell me that the warranty wouldn't cover it as they regarded the seat base as a 'piece of trim' and trim was specifically excluded. My view was that a piece of trim should never cause a car to fail the MOT test but they refused to budge. I turned up early the next morning and showed them a placard and printed handouts that I had produced warming prospective customers not to buy from them and said that I would be standing outside on the pavement waving at those prospective customers and handing out leaflets should anybody want to talk to me. After about 10 minutes, the manager came out and asked me in for a cup of coffee. He apologised and said that it was the first that he had heard of my problem but be assured that it would be fixed FOC and the car would be retested at their expense. Result!

Back