You may not have deadlocking...

Yes that's how it should work, sadly it doesn't work like that on mine :( I'm getting nowhere, all the parts list web sites list a lock for vehicles with central locking and one for vehicles without, but no third type. I suppose I should be grateful I've got central locking then :rolleyes:

My two pennies, thrown in:-

Wound the window down, locked the van with 1 touch of the key fob, van deadlocks (you hear second clunk after the first one). Reach through the window pull the door handle, door does not open. The nob on the trailing edge of the door pops up as you pull the handle, but goes back down when you release the interior handle.

Second time round tried the b-post button to isolate the interior volumetric (often leave the dog in the van with a window down). Same finding as before, you can't open the van using the interior handle.

Third test, with the window open and one press of the key fob lock button, the lock/ unlock buttons by the mirror adjuster are equally isolated.

Now the real interesting one!!!!!!!
Fourth test. Open the window, press the key fob button once, get the double 'thunk' from the locking mechanism, now press the key fob lock button for a second time, you get a single 'thunk' from the lock. Now reach through to the interior door handle, pull it once and release and the door nob on the trailing edge of the door card pops up, pull the interior handle a 2nd time and the door opens!!!!

Conclusion. Pressing the key fob lock button once, turns on the deadlock, press it more than once cancels the deadlock.
This is the finding for my highline kombi Euro 5. Hope it sheds some light for others.

Just ran this past the wife, and she tells me she always presses the lock button on multiple presses to ensure!!!!!
This is what the manual says to, I checked earlier. Came as a surprise as I also always press the lock button twice just to be sure!!! Need to learn to stop doing that :)

@DaveyB That is how I was expecting it to work, except on your test 2 pressing the b pillar button also allowd me to open door with a double pull.

@DaveyB - I'd never noticed the double thunk before - just been out to check and mine seems to work as described (mine is a Euro 6 Highline). I'm another one who has a habit of checking things at least twice so I too have probably been inadvertently taking the deadlocks off - doh!!

I also have a sticker on the base of the pop top bed, together with a warning in the user manual the convertor gave me, reminding me to not lock the doors with the key fob when the van is occupied - never really thought about why before!! I wonder if the second push of the key fob would work from inside the van?

@DaveyB - I'd never noticed the double thunk before - just been out to check and mine seems to work as described (mine is a Euro 6 Highline). I'm another one who has a habit of checking things at least twice so I too have probably been inadvertently taking the deadlocks off - doh!!

I also have a sticker on the base of the pop top bed, together with a warning in the user manual the convertor gave me, reminding me to not lock the doors with the key fob when the van is occupied - never really thought about why before!! I wonder if the second push of the key fob would work from inside the van?
But you will set the alarm and risk waking up other campers if you get out of the side door in the night. Best to just press the inside lock button.

I really doubt that the van will know the difference between the key being pressed inside v's outside. An option for you could be to turn off the volumetric, double press the key fob lock button twice to turn off the deadlock, but then you have the added ability to get out of the van from the inside with a double pull on the interior door handle, but with the added piece of mind that if someone forces the door from the 'outside' it should alert you by setting off the alarm. Perhaps be worth a bit of a test?

I really doubt that the van will know the difference between the key being pressed inside v's outside. An option for you could be to turn off the volumetric, double press the key fob lock button twice to turn off the deadlock, but then you have the added ability to get out of the van from the inside with a double pull on the interior door handle, but with the added piece of mind that if someone forces the door from the 'outside' it should alert you by setting off the alarm. Perhaps be worth a bit of a test?
That sets off the alarm.

To be perfectly honest, I've not once felt the need to lock the doors when we have been camping on sites and are in the van - we've camped for years with nothing but a couple of zips and some canvas between us and would be attackers so the van is already a step up in security. Attitude may change if wild camping and or travelling to less familiar places.

So it really is just the two of us, on opposite sides of the world, that don't have Safelock!? Been googling everything I can find and even the base model of the bloody UP seems to have it :cry:

I have been looking at wiring diagrams for central locking and only rear doors have an extra wire marked with an asterisk stating only present for vehicles with safe lock front doors only have one setup no variations !?!?

More investigation required I think

Could it be a feature of the volumetric alarm and controllled by its module? That's another thing I was peeved about, the Westfalia options list is a cut-down version of the VW one, all at the same prices, and I went for the option marked "Factory alarm" for £300 and wasn't chuffed when I got it and found it was perimeter only. The combination of no internal alarm and no deadlocking is not a happy one.

Cor blimey, me bleedin' 'ed 'hurts. I dunno if t' d'ors is lokd wiv der alarum set or wot :rofl:.

Seriously, what a complicated system that needs very careful operation to avoid undersetting security features by inadvertently cancelling them. Nightmare.

A very clear guide is required please along the lines of @DaveyB's post that all those who have conducted tests agree is how the system operates fully functions.

Last edited:
A related question on the B pillar button; after having a small moth set the alarm off on my drive I now use this button quite a lot when leaving the van for any length of time whilst camping to stop similar happening and annoying fellow campers. I was under the impression that after pressing the button I had to manually lock the van using the key in the drivers door - is this correct or, after pressing the button, can I then lock in the normal way via the key fob but without the volumetric alarm setting??

A related question on the B pillar button; after having a small moth set the alarm off on my drive I now use this button quite a lot when leaving the van for any length of time whilst camping to stop similar happening and annoying fellow campers. I was under the impression that after pressing the button I had to manually lock the van using the key in the drivers door - is this correct or, after pressing the button, can I then lock in the normal way via the key fob but without the volumetric alarm setting??
Nope. I use this button all of the time due to the dog and never put the key in the lock. Press the b-post button, tap the remote button. Dog hasn't set the alarm off once when doing it this way; and he's a damn sight bigger than a moth!

I have been looking at wiring diagrams for central locking and only rear doors have an extra wire marked with an asterisk stating only present for vehicles with safe lock front doors only have one setup no variations !?!?

More investigation required I think
I was just looking as well, did you notice that the button is wire differently depending on which way its pressed?
Also it states its only for volumetric and anti tow, no mention of safelock so I must have changed this operation by the bcm coding, so I am going to put that module back to factory tomorrow and test it again.

My two pennies, thrown in:-

Wound the window down, locked the van with 1 touch of the key fob, van deadlocks (you hear second clunk after the first one). Reach through the window pull the door handle, door does not open. The nob on the trailing edge of the door pops up as you pull the handle, but goes back down when you release the interior handle.

Second time round tried the b-post button to isolate the interior volumetric (often leave the dog in the van with a window down). Same finding as before, you can't open the van using the interior handle.

Third test, with the window open and one press of the key fob lock button, the lock/ unlock buttons by the mirror adjuster are equally isolated.

Now the real interesting one!!!!!!!
Fourth test. Open the window, press the key fob button once, get the double 'thunk' from the locking mechanism, now press the key fob lock button for a second time, you get a single 'thunk' from the lock. Now reach through to the interior door handle, pull it once and release and the door nob on the trailing edge of the door card pops up, pull the interior handle a 2nd time and the door opens!!!!

Conclusion. Pressing the key fob lock button once, turns on the deadlock, press it more than once cancels the deadlock.
This is the finding for my highline kombi Euro 5. Hope it sheds some light for others.

Just ran this past the wife, and she tells me she always presses the lock button on multiple presses to ensure!!!!!
Bloody hell......I've been doing that and unwittingly unsetting the dead locking! Gonna check mine tomorrow!

Nope. I use this button all of the time due to the dog and never put the key in the lock. Press the b-post button, tap the remote button. Dog hasn't set the alarm off once when doing it this wary; and he's a damn sight bigger than a moth!
Thanks - I've been opening the drivers door, as best I can with the thermal screens on, blindly reaching in for the button, closing the door and then putting the key in the lock lol. Does it not matter which door you close last either then, i.e. can I press the button from inside the van and then exit via the sliding door?

I was just looking as well, did you notice that the button is wire differently depending on which way its pressed?
Also it states its only for volumetric and anti tow, no mention of safelock so I must have changed this operation by the bcm coding, so I am going to put that module back to factory tomorrow and test it again.
If you mean the drivers door lock/unlock button i have seen that, one side is straight switch, the other side applies a resistor to the same terminals
This is the reason its tricky to relocate this button as additional wiring can affect the circuit resistance and throw the value outside the threshold the BCM will accept, i think its possible and cant see a couple metres of cable would significantly affect the resistance enough to upset the BCM but if it does an additional resistor wired in parallel could possibly be used to bring it back to acceptable value ??

I'm pretty sure i don't have dead lock either from reading this, ill have to check it.

It could just be that as Aus delivered VW, we don't get the dead lock, most likely due to ADR rules on escape.

not that I've looked into ADR rules on this issue, just a guess, or that VW australia are cheap

Thanks - I've been opening the drivers door, as best I can with the thermal screens on, blindly reaching in for the button, closing the door and then putting the key in the lock lol. Does it not matter which door you close last either then, i.e. can I press the button from inside the van and then exit via the sliding door?
The pillar button only works with the drivers door open, but once selected you can exit and lock from any door.

Back