You may not have deadlocking...

The pillar button only works with the drivers door open, but once selected you can exit and lock from any door.
Thanks - that might be where I'd go the idea that I had to use the key - away from tomorrow so I will have a play with it.

I'm pretty sure i don't have dead lock either from reading this, ill have to check it.

It could just be that as Aus delivered VW, we don't get the dead lock, most likely due to ADR rules on escape.

not that I've looked into ADR rules on this issue, just a guess, or that VW australia are cheap
So that's three of us then. But the Aus market factor can't be the only reason cos mine is based on a German market T6 and so are Calis and I don't see any of them saying they don't have deadlocking. Or do all Calis come with volumetric alarm as standard, that would bear my other theory out

I reset my module coding back to how it was from the factory this morning and the deadlock operation via pillar switch is still the same... I'm going to have to compare a similar California now to see if its by design...

My two pennies, thrown in:-
Now the real interesting one!!!!!!!
Fourth test. Open the window, press the key fob button once, get the double 'thunk' from the locking mechanism, now press the key fob lock button for a second time, you get a single 'thunk' from the lock. Now reach through to the interior door handle, pull it once and release and the door nob on the trailing edge of the door card pops up, pull the interior handle a 2nd time and the door opens!!!!
That is how it is supposed to work.

I just rang a mate of mine with a new California and his is the same as mine...

I think I have a scan of yours @DaveyB from Bala so I am going to compare coding.....

I have plenty of scans if you need to compare coding but no other calis though

That is how it is supposed to work.

I just rang a mate of mine with a new California and his is the same as mine...

I think I have a scan of yours @DaveyB from Bala so I am going to compare coding.....
@Loz. Please do buddy. Happy to help anyway I can. If you need me to try any specific other combination in a test just drop me a line.

I need to get hold of VCDS so I can get a scan to compare I think, I've been looking for an excuse to get one anyway. Is Ross-Tech still the advisable place to get it from?
Still holding out hope that it's just a software thing, I find it hard to believe that VW would find it economical to produce a different door lock for what seems like a small minority of vehicles

@andys if you pm me your reg & vin (as may not be a UK designated model) i can compare the part numbers on your locks to mine and see if i can spot any obvious differences ??

I tried out all the differences between mine and @DaveyB's bcm coding with no joy. There were a few undocumented bits on his selected that made no difference and one that threw up some instant errors on my display including, front assist, start stop error and the glow plug symbol.

The undocumented bits are frustrating so I will have to research further.

Can you PM the codes and in particular the ones that threw errors, i know what some of the unlisted bytes do/affect but not in detail

Bizarre that they threw up loads of errors on yours. Are you E6? Maybe that's the thing as I'm an E5.

Hmmm that euro 5/6 thing again like the mirrors...

Need to find a euro 6 van that has deadlocking that doesn't get turned off by the door piller switch.

I have some notes on the comparison that I'll type up tomorrow.

Might have to jump on the band wagon and get a VCDS cable so I can compare scans as well. Been meaning to grab one to turn stop/start off anyway

Had a cursory look on etka today to see what parts are fitted
parts numbers of locks fitted to @andys van without deadlocking are
3B2 837 016 AD
3B2 837 015 BA
The locks on my van with deadlocking are
3B2 837 016 AA
3B2 837 015 AM

Certainly not conclusive as they are different model vans etc 2015 vs 2017 so will keep doing a bit more digging and get a comparable van and go again

Thanks @Pauly , so does that mean we just need a VIN from a 17 MY that has deadlocking to see if those part numbers match or not? Any volunteers?

Back