You may not have deadlocking...

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
This is rehash of something that came up in the Autolocking thread but I though it was important enough to bring up again for anyone who didn't see that. (Sorry if this in the wrong forum Mods, couldn't decide which it should be)

An Australian member, @Ketan , had noticed that he didn't have deadlocking in his van and my initial thought was that it was a local regulation thing, but when I went out to check mine I found that it didn't deadlock at all - not with one button press, two button presses, turning and holding key in lock, nothing. Whatever I did, all doors could be opened from the inside. The common factors of our two vans were both PVs with no interior alarm disabling button on the B pillar so if yours is the same and you think you have deadlocking, it's probably worth you checking. When I get chance I'm going to go through the online parts catalogues and see if there are different lock modules on the doors or whether it's a coding thing, or if there's some other way I can make the vehicle secure. I'm really mad that, unless I'm doing something very wrong, it seems VW have deliberately cheaped out and taken this important security feature away unless you upgrade.

Those who don't seem to have it : Do you get the "safelock" warning on the dashboard when turning off the ignition?

(I am actually trying to work out how to disable that if, for example, I leave the kids in the van)

Interesting. I'm to sure if I have the deadlocking and can't check ATM as I'm at work. I get the safe lock warning on the dash when turning the ignition off but not sure what it means. I do have a little button near the windows and mirror switch that just simply unlocks and locks the van, is that the button you're ref to @Ketan?
I'm also not sure if to just my van all that they all do it but the back seems to unlock and lock a section no behind the front doors. It sounds as if the locks bounce but they are behaving as normal if not just a little delayed.

@Ed Webb the deadlocking button that I think is being referred to is on the B pillar behind the driver's seat. This allows the van to be locked while occupied but disables deadlocks (and alarm if fitted) I believe.

@Ketan Would that be a T5 though? My old 2009 T5 PV had deadlocking which is why it's so maddening that an 8yr newer vehicle doesn't have it!

@GoatBoater No, no mention of Safelock on anything in mine

Last edited:
@Ed Webb the deadlocking button that I think is being referred to is on the B pillar behind the driver's seat. This allows the van to be locked while occupied but disables deadlocks (and alarm if fitted) I believe.
no, the button on the B piller is the switch for the volumetric sensor disable and an indication of the level of security system installed only.

Those who don't seem to have it : Do you get the "safelock" warning on the dashboard when turning off the ignition?

(I am actually trying to work out how to disable that if, for example, I leave the kids in the van)
to disable the safelock(deadlock) you press the remote twice when you lock the van, or let the occupants press the lock button on the drivers door.

Thank you @Loz, my misunderstanding as for some reason I thought that button did both the locks and internal alarm. Something else that I have learned today.

Surely it's a safety feature? I.e you can open a locked door from the inside if you need to escape from the van say after a crash. My Audi is exactly the same, first pull of the handle from inside unlocks the door and second pull opens it.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the issue?

Ok just went down to the van to check what mine done.

From inside after pressing the fob lock button I can't open the doors by pulling the handles no matter how many times I pull them

From inside after pressing the central lock button on the drivers door beside the window buttons the first pull of the handle unlocks that particular door and the second pull opens it. All other doors remain locked.

So it seems like deadlocking only activates with the key fob

I should also add mines is a startline so doesnt have an alarm or an alarm bypass button on the B pillar

Last edited:
Yes you are :) You're right in that you can get out that way when you're inside the locked van, but with the key you're able to deadlock it so that no one can break a window, pry open a sliding window, or just use a slim jim, and open your doors. It should only be used when no one is in the van or, like you say, no one could get out which could be dangerous.

The problem is that some of us (well, two of us so far) have found that our vans don't have this deadlocking, making them a lot less secure

I've not looked at any options via VCDS but you may like to read this thread on the Ross-Tech forum, it's not T5/6 related but makes interesting reading...

Deadlocking doors

I think deadlocking is fitted if you get the 'Safe lock' message on the radio.

Rod

Thanks @rod_vw , that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for! So it seems vehicles with deadlocking have an additional electric motor inside the locks to operate this. I need to see if I can just (just! :rolleyes:) replace the locks with the other type, or whether it would need another control module to work. It does concern me that there are no coding options in VCDS as I would expect there would need to be some way of interpreting whether the fob button has been pressed once or twice (second press does nothing on mine).

There is no Safelock message on the dash or radio at any point

Thank you @Loz, my misunderstanding as for some reason I thought that button did both the locks and internal alarm. Something else that I have learned today.
Actually you are correct, it does now, but didn't used to.
I was out experimenting with it today and now pressing the B Pillar button disables the volumetrics and disables the deadlock. So somehow I have altered its operation as that is not what I want it to do, as I might want to leave a window partly open (so no volumentrics) but still have the deadlocks so an arm cannot be reached inside to unlock the door.
I can only assume I have changed this in the coding in the last few months and will have to figure out what setting I changed.

I can still un-deadlock with a second press of the fob as before (as long as you pause between presses)

The vagaries of VW electronics @Loz ?

Bye-the-bye, have you seen @Twoguns latest about VW UK's offer for all of his engine management problems over recent months ? It beggars belief.

Last edited:
Actually you are correct, it does now, but didn't used to.
I was out experimenting with it today and now pressing the B Pillar button disables the volumetrics and disables the deadlock. So somehow I have altered its operation as that is not what I want it to do, as I might want to leave a window partly open (so no volumentrics) but still have the deadlocks so an arm cannot be reached inside to unlock the door.
I can only assume I have changed this in the coding in the last few months and will have to figure out what setting I changed.

I can still un-deadlock with a second press of the fob as before (as long as you pause between presses)

@Loz Thinking about this a bit further, could it be a safety item as normally disabling the volumetric might be because their is a person occupying the vehicle when the application of the deadlocks would prevent exit/escape ?

I agree with your required usage so one would expect there to be an either/or selection as with the front passenger airbag. Perhaps a modification by VW Germany for the future ?

@Loz Thinking about this a bit further, could it be a safety item as normally disabling the volumetric might be because their is a person occupying the vehicle when the application of the deadlocks would prevent exit/escape ?

I agree with your required usage so one would expect there to be an either/or selection as with the front passenger airbag. Perhaps a modification by VW Germany for the future ?
and I just read through the manual and nowhere does it link the button to the deadlock(safelock) only volumetrics and anti tow...

My two pennies, thrown in:-

Wound the window down, locked the van with 1 touch of the key fob, van deadlocks (you hear second clunk after the first one). Reach through the window pull the door handle, door does not open. The nob on the trailing edge of the door pops up as you pull the handle, but goes back down when you release the interior handle.

Second time round tried the b-post button to isolate the interior volumetric (often leave the dog in the van with a window down). Same finding as before, you can't open the van using the interior handle.

Third test, with the window open and one press of the key fob lock button, the lock/ unlock buttons by the mirror adjuster are equally isolated.

Now the real interesting one!!!!!!!
Fourth test. Open the window, press the key fob button once, get the double 'thunk' from the locking mechanism, now press the key fob lock button for a second time, you get a single 'thunk' from the lock. Now reach through to the interior door handle, pull it once and release and the door nob on the trailing edge of the door card pops up, pull the interior handle a 2nd time and the door opens!!!!

Conclusion. Pressing the key fob lock button once, turns on the deadlock, press it more than once cancels the deadlock.
This is the finding for my highline kombi Euro 5. Hope it sheds some light for others.

Just ran this past the wife, and she tells me she always presses the lock button on multiple presses to ensure!!!!!

Back