Wood painting

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi
I recently purchased a wooden rock and roll bed. I know that's against the grain Assembled it and put it in yesterday and well pleased with it.
In a pure grey van, with oak laminate and floor and mixed grey it looks a bit bright..
Has anyone painted such wood successfully and what did you use?
If I can't get a good match, I'm thinking about a contrast, but the finish is more important than the colour..

IMG_20210725_143609574.jpg

I would use eggshell finish, applied with a small gloss roller. Fine sanding between each coat. Your colour choice from B&Q is limitless.

For items that are high usage I prefer a spirit based paint or varnish. You could just clear coat it with a polyurethane wood varnish that matches the floor / cupboard door?

A few years ago I had paint mixed by the local Dulux decorating centre to match a particular pantone reference (actually a vehicle colour 298C) This was a spirit based gloss and appropriate undercoat. The likes of B&Q, Wicks can mix paints but not sure they have the range of paint types like a trade outlet.

It was quite expensive for the mixed paint (£25 for 750ml seems to ring a bell) but cheap if you want the colour spot on!

Ian

Last edited:
As above, and test it first on the inside in case your first colour choice doesn't turn out how you expect.

Pete

On another project I used a blue wood stain (Chestnut spirit stain) from Axminster Tools on OSB boards I’d fashioned into wardrobe doors than put several coats of Screwfix water based clear floor varnish on them. Skate board wheels for handles. Standing up OK after 4 years in sons bedroom! The pattern of the OSB shows through.

Back