Wiring Dash Cam and Tracker

Bob Wallace

VIP Member
Hi all,

Just bought a T6 and the electrics mystify me. I've fitted burgler alrams, radios extra lights , dash cams, and trakers to vehicles for the last 30 years so I have some experience.
For my traker I need a constant live which could come direct from battery with an inline fuse but as I want it hidden I'm looking for a better connection point preferably some where high as there are plenty of places in the hightop where a tracker can be hidden and the plastic top won't screen the GPS signal. I tested the feed of the rear compartment courtesy light and it was live so I thought that would be good, but tested again later when doors had been closed and it was no longer live and light will not turn on manualy until a door is opened.
For my dash cam I want an ignition controlled live; so I thought I could tap in to the fuse box at the radio supply (fuse bank C No 10) but this is a constant live despite the fact my radio goes on/off with the ignition.
Please can any one suggest suitable connection points.

For your dash cam you can come from that fusebox but you need to use the middle row, these are ignition lives
Interior lights have a timeout relay fitted to stop flat battery if lights are left on, they timeout after a while regardless if doors are open or closed, the third pin (door control) is switched negative so it's possible the rumour relay is as well, have you tested from live to chassis to see if it actually still has a permanent supply but just needs an alternative negative ??

Failing that it's easy enough to pop of the A pillar and run a perm feed from the fusebox in dash (which I think would be my preference anyway so a blown fuse doesn't interfere with tracker)

Thanks Pauly, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and run a permanent and an ignition controlled from the fuse box up through the A pillar

What about looking for a wiper motor feed or something in the main loom, then hooking the tracker off of that mid roof from the OEM loom to hide the fact it has one? There must be a perm live somewhere?

Back