Winter Woes

KR.

T6 Guru
I parked up last night in the Highlands, the temperature dropped to about minus 5 which is cold but nowhere near as low as it will go any normal winter.

My Propex heater, fuelled by a butane 907 cannister refused to work as it was too cold, the hob worked but not powerful enough to make a brew before setting off this morning. The 907 is half full. I managed to boil the kettle on my return to the van (up to a balmy 0 degrees by then) but the heater wasn't for playing.
To be fair I had been expecting this to happen.

My windscreen washer jets froze, and on using the wipers smeared the dirt across my windscreen rendering me 95% blind. A brown trouser moment as I was overtaking at the time. The temp gauge dropped to minus 5 during the drive home but it's winter screenwash in the reservoir, I suspect the jets are freezing right at the point the spray exits.

I've still not changed my H4's either, and I still dislike driving in the dark....

I propose to fix the heater problem by fitting an underslung LPG tank which operates down to about minus 20 I believe, the headlight issue will be sorted once I see reports coming in from forum members who have successfully swapped out their H4's for the H7/Led DRL options available. I'm unsure what to do about the winscreen washers.

On a positive note - the Michelin Cross Climates held well last night on an icy uphill B road, I've a normal FWD.

Any advice or comments welcome.

Last edited:
My van has heated washer jets, maybe you can add these, or maybe you already have them and they don't work properly????

Reactions: KR.
Won’t help with your heater issues but it might be worth getting a cheap cassette stove as a interim measure to help with your morning cuppa problem. These can be run on either butane cartridges (no use as you will be in the same situation as you are now with your 907 butane issue) or canisters with a butane /propane mix which will cope with much lower temps. Eg. Dynasty Compact II Stove

Winter Gas (Butane-Propane mix) 227g (Pack of 4)

Reactions: KR.
Won’t help with your heater issues but it might be worth getting a cheap cassette stove as a interim measure to help with your morning cuppa problem. These can be run on either butane cartridges (no use as you will be in the same situation as you are now with your 907 butane issue) or canisters with a butane /propane mix which will cope with much lower temps. Eg. Dynasty Compact II Stove

Winter Gas (Butane-Propane mix) 227g (Pack of 4)

I've got a Jetboil with Butane/Propane mix for camping, it packs down quite small so I think I'll bung that in the van until I come up with a permanent fix - thanks for the suggestion. I've bit the bullet and ordered replacement H7 headlights as I've decided that problem is top of the list with the washer jets.
I note that in my OP I referred to my 907 as containing Propane, of course the blue 907 contains Butane, not Propane. OP corrected.

Them only come as standard with LED headlights I think
Interesting. Not sure mine has heated jets although it does have factory fit led’s. The nozzles were defo frozen when I tried to use them the other week after driving 1.5 hours up the motorway. May need to look into this, as I just assumed it wouldn’t have them.

Heated washer jets and heated windscreen were standard on the Exec, mine has them and I never want another car without them.

-4 this morning and windscreen was clear in 30 secs!

I've got heated windscreen but don't know if I have heated jets. Will find out next time I take the van on a frosty morning.

I have embarked on a voyage of discovery and just ordered two heated jets and connectors
The heater jets are £22.38 + vat each and the connector for them is £8.08 + vat each (yes really £8 for a 2 pin plastic connector !!!)
Will see what they are like when they turn up but hoping its a straight swap and just need a 12v supply ?

Low temperature peformance of 'gas' was one of the reasons I decided to go for the Wallas CX Duo which runs straight off the diesel tank. I pick it up next month, hoping not to be disappointed ;-)

oh, and heated washer jets were standard my Highline (over here in NL)

I have embarked on a voyage of discovery and just ordered two heated jets and connectors
The heater jets are £22.38 + vat each and the connector for them is £8.08 + vat each (yes really £8 for a 2 pin plastic connector !!!)
Will see what they are like when they turn up but hoping its a straight swap and just need a 12v supply ?
"A Voyage of Discovery" you say!; sounds like a dramatic New Year's Resolution!;). Heated washer jets; What ever next?:eek:

Do they power up with the rear de-mist? Looks like I've probably already got them on mine, I guess It's one of those things I'll only become aware of when it fails, and like all things electrical/mechanical, fail it will; unless the van is scrapped first.

I checked the wiring diagram and it takes a straight switched feed from the fusebox so looks like if the ignition is on they are on

I checked the wiring diagram and it takes a straight switched feed from the fusebox so looks like if the ignition is on they are on
Surprising that!, I guess they would only need to heat to a low temperature say 10c, so perhaps in summer there is no real power draw, when ambient temps is above 10c????????

Back