Are you a winter or summer campervaner ?

All year round for us, but with the caveat that we avoid it when it’s non stop rain. It’s just miserable and you don’t want to leave the van.
Love it when it’s cold and crisp and clear skies.
We normally do Scotland Christmas time and Feb school holidays.
Would have gone to Stonehaven last month for the new year then on to Orkney if the van hadn’t spat its dummy out.

Totally weather dependant, but all year: In Winter, last minute bookings based on weather forecast.
We like it dry, but don’t mind the cold as van is cosy and warm. We keep the pop top down in Winter months, use EHU and hardstanding pitches only; don’t bother with an awning and only stay for a couple of nights.
Tend to use an electric heater rather than our diesel heater, put the bed down and leave it down.
Just have to be more organised and take less stuff.

All year round for us. No such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes( or van kit). Have an electric plinth heater for EHU diesel heater if not, thermal wrap for pop top , 10.5 tog duvet with fleece blanket if required, cos you just never know. Picture taken on 26 th August last year on a campsite in Borgata near Sestriere. 2 days previous was 27 degrees C, that day minus 2. TBH slept better in nights with minus 10 outside than sweltering at the end of 40 degree days.C4E30B0C-01DD-4E24-A7D9-AADF230EAC6C.jpeg

Glencoe just before Loch Achtriochtan (in the photo it's to the right) if I'm not mistaken...? The bottom of Aonach Dubh top right.
Spot on! They had closed the A82 due to a jack-knifed lorry. So had a wander up and down the road in the snow, until it was cleared. :D

Spot on! They had closed the A82 due to a jack-knifed lorry. So had a wander up and down the road in the snow, until it was cleared. :D
Ah the joy of A82 closures: a few years ago I had finished a cracking day in the mountains and was heading back home (near Loch Lomond/Clyde) and they closed it (accident I think). Only route was heading back round the Lorne coast (west of Glencoe) and down via the bridge at Connel. But it's a single track bridge with traffic lights (it's a road bridge converted from an old rail bridge!). The hour long traffic jam and queue to get over the bridge was fun... :confused:

We're strictly fair-weather campers - mid-spring thru mid-autumn is our window for overnight stays in the van (and, even then, only when the weather is forecast to be predominantly dry). Under a 10-tog duvet, I prefer 14C, but the missus prefers 18-20C. I suspect this is the usual way around, as women tend to be nesh compared to blokes.
'Tis true.

All year round.
  • Thermal windscreen cover;
  • Pop-top insulating cover (this makes a BIG difference);
  • Diesel heater, but not at night (think we've been down to -4 so far);
  • 10 tog Duvalay, plus long johns / thermal top / socks / gloves & hat (tends to be donned at a much higher temp by Mrs CAB than myself);
  • heater on in the morning with the kettle!
  • one time off-grid had to keep the gas cupboard open so the butane warmed up.
Cold and dry is much better that cold and wet though.

All year round. We have an oil radiator for EHU and a Webasto for off grid. Sometimes we will keep the pop top down, but we have an insulated cover for it if needed. I have stayed at Glencoe in the snow with the Webasto on low all night and was perfectly snug and warm.
IMG_2770.jpeg

it's all well and good saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing" and other such insinuations that "you're just not doing it right", but, ultimately, you pays money, and you makes your choice. I certainly won't be year-round camping - flights to warmer climes for me in the winter.

it's all well and good saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing" and other such insinuations that "you're just not doing it right", but, ultimately, you pays money, and you makes your choice. I certainly won't be year-round camping - flights to warmer climes for me in the winter.
Man up you wuss:uh run:

We'll make a Southener out of you yet!

Back