16 Claytons - Snow

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I'm looking at getting at getting a second set of wheels ready for a skiing trip. There seems to be a lot of the 16ins Claytons being advertised, so wanted to know if the size of them would cope if matched to a winter tyre. Is the Clayton to small to be going up a mountain in France?

We have factory fitted 16" Claytons on our LWB T6. They are fitted with Michelin Agilis All season Cross Climate tyres which are 3 peaks rated. We have not taken them to Ski resorts in Winter but have encountered some pretty unfavourable icy and snow bound roads in Winter in France with no problems.

In the winter, narrow tyres are better under extreme conditions as they provide higher surface pressure against the road. Narrow tyres also work better than wider ones in loose snow and slush.

As long as the 16” wheels fit over your brakes, some models need 17 inch wheels as a minimum.
I’d imagine the smaller diameter 16” wheels would make fitting snow chains much easier, if things got extreme.., and wheel arches tend to clog up with compacted snow, so more room the better.

As long as the 16” wheels fit over your brakes, some models need 17 inch wheels as a minimum.
I’d imagine the smaller diameter 16” wheels would make fitting snow chains much easier, if things got extreme.., and wheel arches tend to clog up with compacted snow, so more room the better.
The outer diameters are the same....... ;)

Someone was selling Nokian on a 17” on here recently It's what I use on Devonports. I’ve done 4 ski trips in my van this season and they are excellent.

Hi all, I'm looking at getting at getting a second set of wheels ready for a skiing trip. There seems to be a lot of the 16ins Claytons being advertised, so wanted to know if the size of them would cope if matched to a winter tyre. Is the Clayton to small to be going up a mountain in France?
This had me wondering cos I seemed to remember that my chains fitted 16’,17’ & 18’ So I went out to the van and had a look- they do.

Here is a couple of photos of my König Swedish chains: made by Thule Not cheap but awesome.

tempImageU8vrSj.png

tempImagefk3Plr.png

Back