Windsurfing Dream Van

I'm glad you have updated this post with more photos of your build. It now looks fantastic, so well done! :)
Thanks @hoggle appreciate the interest. It’s actually nice to review what I have done since I bought the van and how different it is to the Kombi it started out as. And of course we have been all over the place camping. Lots of Scotland of course but also Pembrokeshire and the Midlands. Currently parked on the sea front in Balintore having enjoyed a lovely meal and couple of pints at the Balintore Inn where they welcome customer Campervans overnighting. Throughly recommended

It's certainly different to when you started. I love seeing what other folk have done themselves to their Vans. And there's a lovely circular walk from Portmahomak to Tarbat Ness Lighthouse. Nice part of the country.

Hi love your build - designed around surfing kit : )

Can I ask a favour could you take a pic of the catches used to hold your pop top down? as I would like to use something similar to get rid of my straps

cheers Jim
Hi Jim, sorry I have been away from home for a few days and missed your message. The pop top is by Jerba Campervans and is their own design. It uses straps and also a metal pull down catch that you have probably seen in the photos. It's a belt and braces approach but seems to work well.
1701195989951.png
The guys at Jerba have always been very helpful and I am sure if you drop them a line they will be able to help with a part number for the catch system. It uses studs bonded into the roof but I guess you could make something up to retrofit one.
I believe its by SouthCo and like the one in the link but I can't see a part number on it.

Hi Jim, sorry I have been away from home for a few days and missed your message. The pop top is by Jerba Campervans and is their own design. It uses straps and also a metal pull down catch that you have probably seen in the photos. It's a belt and braces approach but seems to work well.
View attachment 221197
The guys at Jerba have always been very helpful and I am sure if you drop them a line they will be able to help with a part number for the catch system. It uses studs bonded into the roof but I guess you could make something up to retrofit one.
I believe its by SouthCo and like the one in the link but I can't see a part number on it.
thanks man thats really useful to see it close up. looks proper that!

After more reading its also going to get a Victron Smart BatteryProtect and possibly a smart shunt to monitor the battery but pretty happy with the BM2 at the moment.
Hi I'm looking at the Renology DCC50S - I see you added a battery protect
Victron Smart Shunt
Next @Dellmassive prompted me to try out the solar panel which was still in the box since delivery. I had already loomed in the solar cabling and put a cut off switch (in the right place second time round:mad:) on the B pillar. The good news is that it all worked fine or seemed to and the Renogy DC-DC is doing its thing with both the alternator and the solar panel. The panel was a recommendation from @Dieseldonkey and has concealed connections.
View attachment 67011 View attachment 67012
Its not fitted because there is a small problem with the Jerba Pop Top and its getting replaced by Jerba who have handled my issue very professionally but are of course on stop because of the virus. I drove around with it just lying on the parcel shelf and it actually seemed to get some power into the battery from there during the day. :)
what size Renogy DC-DC did you go with? whats the performance been like?

Hi I'm looking at the Renology DCC50S - I see you added a battery protect
Victron Smart Shunt

what size Renogy DC-DC did you go with? whats the performance been like?
Hi Jim, it’s the 50A Renogy DC-DC and it’s the latest version after the original 50A failed.
The new one has a larger heat sink and some other improvements. But because I have it mounted under the front seat with less than optimal cooling I used the Renogy App to dial down the maximum charging rate to 30A.
This works great off alternator, solar and also keeps the van battery topped up.
The Victron Smart Shunt isn’t really battery protection but gives me lots of info on the state of charge etc through the Victron app.
There is also a simple Bluetooth monitor on the battery which does a good job at history recording.
The Renogy app is OK and I probably don’t need the other two monitors.

Hi Jim, it’s the 50A Renogy DC-DC and it’s the latest version after the original 50A failed.
The new one has a larger heat sink and some other improvements. But because I have it mounted under the front seat with less than optimal cooling I used the Renogy App to dial down the maximum charging rate to 30A.
This works great off alternator, solar and also keeps the van battery topped up.
The Victron Smart Shunt isn’t really battery protection but gives me lots of info on the state of charge etc through the Victron app.
There is also a simple Bluetooth monitor on the battery which does a good job at history recording.
The Renogy app is OK and I probably don’t need the other two monitors.
Thanks for the response sounds like an easy set up.

Just trying to decide between the renology to do everything in one box or the victory Orion 30A as I already have a victron mptt which I can add to.

I have been told about the 50A victron but it too money

Back