Windsurfing Dream Van

After more reading its also going to get a Victron Smart BatteryProtect and possibly a smart shunt to monitor the battery but pretty happy with the BM2 at the moment.

I like what you have done with the fuse board, access wise. I have mine fitted under the passenger seat facing inwards, I'm going to have to refit it pointing outwards.

I like what you have done with the fuse board, access wise. I have mine fitted under the passenger seat facing inwards, I'm going to have to refit it pointing outwards.
Yes that sounds handier. Its a pain to reloom your wiring though. I have seen a lot of builds where the seat and swivel would have to come out to get at the fusebox which seems more than a bit daft to me. Even if you dont have a blown fuse on a camp site in the middle of nowhere its much easier to work on stuff that you can isolate easily from the fuse box.
The seat panel is clipped on and just pops off if you lift it up but can't be kicked off when the seat is swivelled. I will replace these with laminate board when I do the furniture.
It was a squeeze getting it all in under the seat but it does fit. I need to find space for the Smart Battery cut out but that should be OK and wil actually make it easier to connect supplies to the battery + terminal.

Hi Farnorthsurfer,
Really enjoyed reading your build thread! I am just starting out building my windsurfing van and wondered how you did the space planning? I (weirdly) also have a Hyper Nut 4 in 1 but I need to carry a smaller wave board too. I was planning to stow the bigger board along the drivers side (partitioned from the seating area) with the smaller board in a rack above and sails etc above the wheel arch but it doesn’t leave any space for a hob/fridge etc. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
cheers, Drew

A8345CF4-754F-41BB-BCF6-531F212E4C50.jpeg

Hi Farnorthsurfer,
Really enjoyed reading your build thread! I am just starting out building my windsurfing van and wondered how you did the space planning? I (weirdly) also have a Hyper Nut 4 in 1 but I need to carry a smaller wave board too. I was planning to stow the bigger board along the drivers side (partitioned from the seating area) with the smaller board in a rack above and sails etc above the wheel arch but it doesn’t leave any space for a hob/fridge etc. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
cheers, Drew

View attachment 77212
I can send you photos of boards stowed down the sides of the 1250mm Reimo seat if you like? You will be able to get two boards in bags down there depending on the rocker of the boards. Jerba Campervans have made a special windsurf van in the past, they made a box where the furniture usually goes to store boards and sails. This was a panel van style though. Photos below.1594532391209.png

1594532558903.png

Thank you - yes please to photos!

I was planning to have windows both sides to keep some light coming in, hence the racked upper board.

Slightly off forum topic, how are you finding the Hyper Nut? I have used mine for windfoiling and SUP so far, haven’t tried it out as a plain windsurfing board yet.

Thank you - yes please to photos!

I was planning to have windows both sides to keep some light coming in, hence the racked upper board.

Slightly off forum topic, how are you finding the Hyper Nut? I have used mine for windfoiling and SUP so far, haven’t tried it out as a plain windsurfing board yet.
Also use my ‘nut for windfoil and SUP surf. Makes a poor planing windsurfer unless it’s float n ride surfing. Great board though

I shall have a look at them. Still undecided on top loader or front door style.
Although small the 20litre is very power efficient and can easily take 4 pint milk bottles and or bottles of wine etc. It should run on my 160w solar when I get it hooked up. It will fit into the 370mm unit width that I have on my twin slider with the Reimo Variotec 1250mm seat.
I like that stuff can’t spill out of it and that the cold air stays in when the lid is opened.
Like others I once suffered spilt milk from a front door fridge that seeped under the carpet!
Although that was a MURVI on a Ducato chassis so I was surprised it cornered that fast :)

Went out windsurfing today, loaded with Quiverack roof box and stuff in the back. Jerba put me on their Facebook page with the roof up photo. The box is loaded with four sails, three masts and a boom. It works fine but is quite heavy to shove up. Some photos of boards in the back for @Drewmacaulay
1594928997391.jpeg
Room in the back for three boards although when the furniture gets fitted of course there will no room at the side.
The seat is not all the way forward here, could still take three passengers no problem.
1594929116908.jpeg

Thanks FarNorthSurfer - very helpful! Glad you had enough wind to get out for a sail.
Did the board on the floor of the van under the seat stick out much into the foot space? And is that the HyperNut? Am trying to work out whether to store the HyperNut (or other big board in the future) in a side compartment or on the floor. Last question: if the seat was laid flat as a bed, would the board fit under it?
Thank you! Drew

Thanks FarNorthSurfer - very helpful! Glad you had enough wind to get out for a sail.
Did the board on the floor of the van under the seat stick out much into the foot space? And is that the HyperNut? Am trying to work out whether to store the HyperNut (or other big board in the future) in a side compartment or on the floor. Last question: if the seat was laid flat as a bed, would the board fit under it?
Thank you! Drew
The board is a Tabou Manta 100 and it doesn’t stick out into the leg space for the rear seat. The full width of the board won’t go through the under seat space. On the right are a Starboard Futura 133 and Witchcraft Shaman 96l. All the bases covered.
With the seat folded as a bed there is just as much space underneath. It doesn’t fall into the space under the frame. If you are not having furniture down the side the big boards do fit better vertically. :thumbsup:

Anyone thinking about what will and what won’t fit in the way of surfboards and windsurfers remember mine is a LWB and that extra 400mm makes all the difference.

Thank you! Spoke with a conversion company today and think I have the donor van identified as well so could be moving forward next week! The donor has 80k miles (LWB 4M T6) which is a little higher than I wanted, but more of a concern is that it has barn doors. I suppose benefits are easier access to rear and to the roof, and I can open only one rear door at a time to keep warmth in, but downside is no rain protection and doors swinging in the wind. Trying to be patient and wait for the right van is a challenge.

What is your budget?
Hi Russ
I’ve got up to £33k for the base vehicle, maybe £35k at a push for something pretty new. Not sure how hard one can negotiate with a VW dealer for an approved used van.
The one described above is a fair bit less than that.

Ah sorry I was just going to post links to used vans on the VW site.

I tried everything to get some cash knocked off my van - Got £200 off in the end. This was on an £18k panel van though. Only other offer available was free services if I took VW finance.

I really wanted a 4Motion but just couldn't justify the extra cost at the end of the day. I live in the wet and snowy Peak District and just got a good set of winter tyres. Haven't needed four-wheel drive yet!

Good luck with the search!!

So about time I posted an update on the van, fitted - Solar panel, Victron Smart Shunt, Kiravans Blackout Curtains and some homemade furniture.
IMG_1296.jpg
The Victron Smart Shunt fits next to the TN Power 100ah battery under the passenger seat no problem. Works really well.
IMG_1250.jpg
The Kiravans Blackout curtains, sort of boring but work very well. Chosen in the end because they dont blow about when the doors are open at the beach.
Don't have a photo of either the Solar Panel or the Reimo Multirail but see @Dieseldonkey post as it looks just like his panel.

Back