Windows - DIY or pro job

kkbell

Hi,
so we’ve finally got the T6 panel van. We’re planning on putting windows in, on the sliding door and on the other side, behind the driver’s seat.
I‘ve seen the kits you can buy, but am nervous about cutting into the panel. Am I worrying overly, or am I best getting a pro to do this?
thanks!
Nicki

This was the one bit of our conversion that I was too scared to do to a 1 year old van. We got a reputable company to do it, and it’s perfect.

Pete

We did ours DIY. One window I did the carpet over the lip approach, but the others were with rubber trim. Rubber trim is much less stress. The panels cut easily enough with new blades in whatever tool you use.

I got a powered cartridge gun to apply the bonding (Ali Express) which made it much easier to direct a fat bead in the right place. There are some pictures on my build thread.

It’s remarkably easy to do.
It’s very easy to follow the inner skin to cut the perfect hole. My advice would be to use a nibbler attachment on a drill. This makes a perfect smooth straight cut and there’s no hot metal swarf. It’s effectively like a really fast hole punch. No filing required afterwards on the cut edge either.

Back