Will I have to remove deadening to fit floor?

dave_b

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have applied sound deadening to the floor of my Kombi.

when I convert the van to a camper, will I have to remove the deadening to install a floor?

011BB98C-00AE-4720-BE59-CDA849FADCBB.jpeg

I’ve deadened the floor like you but am not convinced it is needed. The deadening is usually to stop flat panels vibrating / drumming - the floor is highly ribbed to give it strength and is unlikely to vibrate IMHO.

If we fit a wood floor I’m anticipating removal of the deadening to bond the floor down properly. A tedious exercise involving a plastic scraper, white spirit and panel wipe. And disposable gloves!!

That’s my opinion anyway, rather than experience/expert knowledge!

Ian

Yeah, I’m kinda expecting the advice will be to remove the deadening. I imagine it will be a nightmare to take off.

Some have installed a floating ply floor over the top of the standard rubber mat, have a Search.
As already pointed out the floor is ribbed and stiff, adding sound deadening won’t make that much difference especially with a rubber mat on top.

What about something like this laid directly over the top?

How would one then fit the units?

i was thinking of going down the bonding the packers to the floor then a one piece floor over the top of the packers, you can sound deading and insulate in between the packers, I'm not at this stage yet for my conversion but it seems to be a popular way to go

T5/T6 FloorPacker Set

I would say you just need to cut a few strips out where you are going to put the packers when the time comes.
Also I really don’t see any need to put great big wide packers down that fill the complete width of every gap. It’s just to stop flex and allow a floor fixing. It doesn’t seem to bother people that there’s a gap in between every parallel floor rib, but for some reason they think it necessary to fill every mm of the wider gaps.
Nothing scientific there, just my hunch. Worked for me though.

Yeah, I’m kinda expecting the advice will be to remove the deadening. I imagine it will be a nightmare to take off.
Just removed my silent coat to bond the floor to the metal work. Otherwise you’d only really have the strength of the silent coat stick to the metal work holding the floor down

Back