Wifi Extenders

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mopardave, 28 May 2018.

1. mopardave

mopardave 150 Kombi Manual VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Gents and ladies.....I'm hoping to buy a house where the current owner has a range of wifi extenders plugged into the mains sockets due to the thickness of the walls. Can anyone offer any advice on what to go for? FWIW I've got a Vodafone router.
    Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

2. DaveBos

DaveBos Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    My mate at work, a computer programmer, raves about Wifi Mesh Systems, worth a google.

3. mopardave

Map
    @DaveBos …...never heard of that but I'll google it now! :thumbsup:

4. DaveBos

DaveBos Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Nor had I, quite pricey though when I looked.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Member

I’m a spark so these things can resolve issues or not ...

Firstly do you need Wi-fi extenders or some hard wired connections or both?

What sort of fuseboard / incoming supply do you have?

On a typical single phase site they should work BUT having2 or more rcds will affect performance .... the manufacturers say they don’t but they do.

I used devolo products very successfully in our house for a number of years before connecting up all the hard wired connections

Hope this helps

6. DaveyB

DaveyB Senior Member Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    @mopardave I have some units I purchased from maplins that put the router signal into the electrical ring main. Then you just need a specific plug on an outlet in each room you want it, and hey presto.

7. Insert Coin

Insert Coin Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I've got a Netgear Orbi system at my house, 1 router and 3 satellites gives 100% coverage in the house and garden, it's also a mesh system. It's not cheap, but works really well, never drops out, works ok with all my other wireless devices. It also supports Disney Circle, helps me to limit how long the kids can watch their iPads for.

Good article here - Get whole-home Wi-Fi coverage with one of these mesh network kits

8. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    If they work they're fine but can suffer from interference and can also become disconnected from the hub, when this happens you have a full wi-fi signal but you cant go anywhere.
    If you can, you would always be better to hard wire in a proper access point back to your router, also change the SSID and password to be the same on all access points so that you can roam about without having to keep entering new details for each point (especially for visitors if you let them on your network)

9. Gingercoastie

Gingercoastie Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I use BT ones as I have a BT hub, theory work fine.

10. Oldrat

Oldrat Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    BT whole home system. It’s the dogs!
    Simple to set up too.

Linky

11. mopardave

Map
    I'm trying to avoid BT if possible....they're fine until you need help....their customer service is appalling! I ditched them for Vodafone. Thanks for all the suggestions though. :thumbsup:

12. Flashollie

Flashollie Member T6 Pro

Map
    I have a biggish house with very thick walls and I had tried the TP Link extenders / boosters and others and they were crap.
    On the advice of my mate whose a network engineer he said suck up the cost and get google wifi.

Did it got two of their mesh units and its so much better. Before I had 4 boosters now I 3 google WiFi. If i didn't want WiFi in my man cave 30 yards from the house I would have only had 2 of the google units. you can by the signly and they are scalable so you can add as many as you want.
    And its very very easy to set up and you can prioritize certain devices and easily make it child safe turn it off at bed tiems for certain devices etc.
    Oh and it looks nice too which helped me justify the cost to get Wifi to my cave

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Wifi-system-set-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

Last edited: 11 Jun 2018
    DaveBos likes this.
  13. Dannyb6467

Dannyb6467 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I agree Mopar...however just for refence I use their live chat facility. I'd go so far as to say it's excellent. Can't be doing with the call centres in whatever country they are based now.

14. Dellmassive

Dellmassive MY18 T32 204 DSG LWB SPORTLINE TRANSPORTER VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Ive used these power-line extenders before, all worked well.

Powerline Adapters | TP-Link

Internet Booster - devolo dLAN WiFi Extender | devolo AG

Though IMHO if the walls are too thick then any WIFI based range extenders/Mesh will be compromised.

and power-line based extenders are subject to the quality of the ring-main fitted to the properety and quality/length of cable run.

Best option is always to run a cat5/cat6 from the router into each Dead-Zone and fit a local Access point (WIFI AP) - But that depends on how hard it is to get a cable there . . . . . if not the power-line adapters maybe worth as try.

ive done this with cheap ex-sky duel-band ADSL routers (£10 each on Ebay) Just use them as wifi access points buy disabling the "DHCP" setting in the menu and setup the WIFI SSID/password as you with. then just plug a cat5 in to join it up with your main router...( you may need to assign a statics IP address to each wifi-ap you install)

Phil_G likes this.
  15. Phil_G

Phil_G Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I do the same. Our family business is a boarding kennels so its quite a large area to cover.
    I buy any old cheap routers, cable them and set them up as a wireless bridge. My main router is of course
    the default gateway and dhcp server for everything, despite the multiple routers this is all layer 2.
    The router in reception is via a TPLink mains adapter, I use a few of these and they're fine as long as they're
    on the same consumer unit, you cant expect them to work through an RCD as it puts an inductor in each leg which
    will massively attenuate the carrier. Using old routers as remote AP's is a really cheap and effective method of
    expanding your wifi network. If you move around the place a lot, some devices are better than others at renegotiating
    from one AP to another, most phones switch instantly but some laptops you have to switch manually.
    All depends on your budget and if you mind running a cable or two [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jun 2018
    Montecha, xswind and Dellmassive like this.
  16. Ed Webb

Ed Webb Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Agree with @Dannyb6467 live chat facility is great. maybe worth noting that BT TV doesn't work very well through wifi extenders, even their own.

17. RussGT6

RussGT6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    i have recently found the same issue with BT TV, terrestrial channels seem ok but as soon as you try Bt sport it lags, will be running a Cat5 soon.