why have i got an auxillary heater?

andrewj1966

VIP Member
Hi,
been chasinga fuse blowing fault on my 21 plate panel van

fuse in question was identified on wiring diagrams as being the auxilary heater, i thought cant be true i havent got one.

thats were i was wrong i do have one, but i dont know why.

found the fault - once i found the aux heater and removed the electrical sockets - lots of water came running out it- and it smelt quite bad off burnt electrical things.

I have no controls for an aux heater, any idea why its there?

can i just leave it disconnected/ the fuse out? it shows as a fault that their is no comms to it with a reader, but doesnt show on my dash

Thanks for any wisdom given

Hi,
been chasinga fuse blowing fault on my 21 plate panel van

fuse in question was identified on wiring diagrams as being the auxilary heater, i thought cant be true i havent got one.

thats were i was wrong i do have one, but i dont know why.

found the fault - once i found the aux heater and removed the electrical sockets - lots of water came running out it- and it smelt quite bad off burnt electrical things.

I have no controls for an aux heater, any idea why its there?

can i just leave it disconnected/ the fuse out? it shows as a fault that their is no comms to it with a reader, but doesnt show on my dash

Thanks for any wisdom given

IMG_0757.jpg

It’s the auxiliary coolant heater, a bargain option on a new build van. It’s automatic & only kicks in when the ambient temperature drops below 5C. Search the forum for auxiliary heater.

These are prone to water damage. On my T5.1 I stripped it down, cleaned it up and it worked fine after but if this smells bad chances are it's knacked. The boards can be replaced /repaired. Remove it from installation list with VCDS and leave the fuse out if you don't want it.

I would say that you could expect to find that the heater's ecu has been goosed if the water has got inside. Someone must have gone through some pretty deep water to do that.

Hi

Thanks for the replies,

cant avoid going through water at present in my neighbourhood, T6.1 release info quoted 300mm wading depth will measure how high up it is and possibly broach it with VW.

if not, i'll strip it down and see if its repairable.

Leave the fuse out and find someone who has vcds to make it disappear maybe my best option

can anyone recommend anyone in the Newark / Doncaster area that can do the do with vcds.

cant really see what its supposed to achieve.

We can code it out, but personally I wouldn't I'd replace it and then look to have telestart installed so you can remotely warm the cab up on a cold winter morning without starting the van.

As a guide line and a quick look up. The heater on its own is a smidge over £1100 Inc vat plus fitting etc

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I thought these were part of the rear cabin heater equipment? Mine has one as well as the rear heater.

At some point I might want to remove the rear unit and wondered what to do about the diesel ‘boost’ heater?

@andrewj1966 would you be able to take some pics while you’re fixing it - particularly the coolant hoses. TIA

Ian

Rear cabin heater is on shuttles and caravelles. His is a panel van so I'd assume judging from the picture and vehicle model that it's the one located in the engine bay below the passengers feet

cant really see what its supposed to achieve.
It warms the van up quickly in cold weather. It kicks in when the temperature is below 5C. It warms the engine & the oil, thus reducing wear on the engine. It also warms the cab quicker, I have warm air coming out of the vents in under a minute, so the windscreen demists faster. As a factory option, they’re around £400, which makes them a bargain compared to the £1100+VAT replacement cost.

Rear cabin heater is on shuttles and caravelles. His is a panel van so I'd assume judging from the picture and vehicle model that it's the one located in the engine bay below the passengers feet
Not strictly true - I’ve seen them on vans and mine is neither a caravelle or shuttle (or Kombi). Mine was described as a ‘window van’.

Mine has the Webasto diesel coolant heater below the front passenger seat. There is a sticker on the jam of the drivers door showing what is present.

With the heater vents in the rear? Never seen one like that before

Yes that's related to the heater under the passenger footwell

Rare that buddy, never seen one before

If you have vents in the rear do you have controls to turn the rear on and off?

Back