B14 or Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkyrmcdo

T6 140 Highline Indium Grey
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

as the title suggest I’m looking to drop my van and improve the handling from stock

up until recently I was 100% sure I’d go for b14,

I’ve seen a few posts about issues near and around the 2 year warranty period

feel free to post up anything good and bad about all and every suspension people are running

cheers

lee

There's dozens of posts on B14s mate, just type it in the search box.

Saying that, i'm not aware of any issues other than one problem @RattyMcClelland had with one of his leaking I think. Mine are 2 years and 70k old and still perform as good as the day @BognorMotors installed them.

Lastly, if you want to improve the handling, i'd add that you should look at the H&R anti roll bars. They almost eliminate body roll, when coupled with a good coilover set-up, and good tyres.

When you say handling, do you mean how it goes round corners?.
It started life as a panel van, now it’s a kombi on panel van suspension, to say it wallows a bit pretty much sums up how it handles in corners and a straight line

There's dozens of posts on B14s mate, just type it in the search box.

Saying that, i'm not aware of any issues other than one problem @RattyMcClelland had with one of his leaking I think. Mine are 2 years and 70k old and still perform as good as the day @BognorMotors installed them.

Lastly, if you want to improve the handling, i'd add that you should look at the H&R anti roll bars. They almost eliminate body roll, when coupled with a good coilover set-up, and good tyres.

@Tourershine thanks for taking the time, yes I’ve read most of them and up until recently was 100% sure b14 was the way to go, then a few posts popped up here and there about blown shocks etc out of warranty or before

also I’m not sure if you can buy 1 replacement etc etc

just wanted some real life input from forum members in the experiences with all suspension

The Solow kit was another option but don’t want it sat in the arches lol

@Tourershine thanks for taking the time, yes I’ve read most of them and up until recently was 100% sure b14 was the way to go, then a few posts popped up here and there about blown shocks etc out of warranty or before

also I’m not sure if you can buy 1 replacement etc etc

just wanted some real life input from forum members in the experiences with all suspension

The Solow kit was another option but don’t want it sat in the arches lol

Solow doesn't necessarily mean slammed. It just gives you that option should you want a change in the future. The luxury of Solow is it sits lowish out the box on full height, but with far more comfort if you do want to go down low.
@T6180 has had B14 and now on Solow and he thinks his current Solow setup is much better.

Solow doesn't necessarily mean slammed. It just gives you that option should you want a change in the future. The luxury of Solow is it sits lowish out the box on full height, but with far more comfort if you do want to go down low.
@T6180 has had B14 and now on Solow and he thinks his current Solow setup is much better.
That’s very interesting, and exactly the sort of information I’m looking for, let’s hope I get some more comments good or bad

Suspension is a very interesting subject, and it's sometimes difficult to make informed judgments based on any recommendations unless you have experienced a given setup for yourself. For example, you'll get B14 fans (of which I am very recently converted to being one) recommending them, you'll get others recommending any of the cheaper options that offer a similar drop and you'll get others suggesting sport shocks matched to lower springs. There will be other options too, but in all honesty, unless you've driven the setup yourself, it's really difficult to make a judgement. It's really hard to truly know which is best for you.

Everyone's opinion of handling, comfort, ride quality etc is very subjective; what is sublime to some would be soft and wallowing to others, what would be firm, responsive, but refined to some would be harsh and unforgiving to others.

For what it's worth though, my B14s have exceeded my expectations, I went to @BognorMotors for mine and was able to test drive 2 different B14 equipped vans to understand if it would meet what I wanted from my suspension before I spent my money. That was really important for me. After reading about the Solows and discussing it with @T6180 and Andy at THQ I almost pulled the trigger on those. In the end it came down to being able to test the B14s before making my purchase, and the fact that the B14s fitted, including wheel alignment, was less than the cost to simply purchase the solow. The reason I didn't choose any of the lower cost coilover options is that I drive 30000 miles a year and need to be able to convince myself that I'm buying quality. I'm well aware that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but I just can't get my head around how a company can design, develop, test, bring to market and sell a set of high quality coilovers that will last the test of time for less than £300, or even £500 for that matter. There are many people who have them fitted and would argue with that and perhaps I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!

Whatever you choose, let us all know what you think once you've got them.

Last edited:
Suspension is a very interesting subject, and it's sometimes difficult to make informed judgments based on any recommendations unless you have experienced a given setup for yourself. For example, you'll get B14 fans (of which I am very recently converted to being one) recommending them, you'll get others recommending any of the cheaper options that offer a similar drop and you'll get others suggesting sport shocks matched to lower springs. There will be other options too, but in all honesty, unless you've driven the setup yourself, it's really difficult to make a judgement. It's really hard to truly know which is best for you.

Everyone's opinion of handling, comfort, ride quality etc is very subjective; what is sublime to some would be soft and wallowing to others, what would be firm, responsive, but refined to some would be harsh and unforgiving to others.

For what it's worth though, my B14s have exceeded my expectations, I went to @BognorMotors for mine and was able to test drive 2 different B14 equipped vans to understand if it would meet what I wanted from my suspension before I spent my money. That was really important for me. After reading about the Solows and discussing it with @T6180 and Andy at THQ I almost pulled the trigger on those. In the end it came down to being able to test the B14s before making my purchase, and the fact that the B14s fitted, including wheel alignment, was less that the cost to simply purchase the solow. The reason I didn't choose any of the lower cost coilover options is that I drive 30000 miles a year and need to be able to convince myself that I'm buying quality. I'm well aware that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but I just can't get my head around how a company can design, develop, test, bring to market and sell a set of high quality coilovers that will last the test of time for less than £300, or even £500 for that matter. There are many people who have them fitted and would argue with that and perhaps I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!

Whatever you choose, let us all know what you think once you've got them.
Some very good points cheers
I’m torn between b14 and solow,

what size wheel are you running in your current set up ??

Im on solows at their highest setting and very impressed with the ride quality. Totally transformed from the original suspension.

What he is feeling here is the difference between MONO tube and Dual tube shocks ., I have mentioned many times that MONO tube needs Hi pressure Gas to function and this hi - pressure makes the ride firmer . the only difference between SOLOW and B14 is the type of shock technology .

KW comfort kit 20- 45 mm drops £1330.83 plus vat
KW comfort kit 20 - 45 mm drops with DCC cancellation kit £1618.00 plus vat

Cylinder clamp and bolt on shocks ( T32 ) same price . rebound adjustable

Good product and considered the new kid on the block in the industry . German made . They are very strong with Porsche and BMW factory kits .

I wouldn't go as far as saying KW is better than the big guns KONI and Bilstein . there is no doubt the KW philosophy is the same as KONI keeping comfort as a priority . At these prices however the H&R / KONI coil over ( £1500.00 incl vat ) comes right into the fray as it goes lower than the KW Comfort kit .

I’m reasearching at the moment and went out in @Tourershine ‘s van yesterday. I want my stock van lower but not slammed.

As background I also drive a caterham seven on factory Bilstein shocks / eibach springs and a 996 911 on new M030 suspension ( factory Bilstein stiffer and lowered)

Tourershines van was stiffer than both the seven and 911, and for me a little too harsh and low for a daily driver (stunning van / package though). Its a very personal thing based on how you want the van to look and how you want it to drive and where you are prepared to compromise.

I’m out in a kombi tomorrow with h&r -40mm springs and ARBs and will report back.

I currently have a completely open mind whilst I narrow down choices and take advice. Could be B14s raised up or lowered springs and std shocks. If I want to get from A to B fast I have other modes of transport.

Watching with interest!

Ian

Back