Which Drive-away Awning?

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
I'm going around in circles on the awning question. Following some of the threads i was surprised at how long some seem to take to put up - seemingly longer than our old, massive tent. We're mostly doing short trips of 1-3 nights, so want to spend as little of that as possible fiddling with awnings.

3 questions:
  1. which awning do you have
  2. how long does it generally take to put it up?
  3. How long to take it back down and stow it away?
thanks

p.s. @Pauly It might be an idea to have a "camping" section. seems to be lots of awning/bbq/site questions

There is an active thread regarding awnings which will answer a lot of your questions:- Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Also, there is already a "Camping Section" on the forum (bottom of forums home page) with subsections including "Camping & Campsites" - people just tend to use the general area for most things instead though :)

We’ve got a Vango Galli, and do similar length trips to you, mainly. Inflating the tent doesn’t take any time at all, but pegging out takes a while (as per any tent), as does lining up and attaching to the van until you get the hang of it. I bought some marker strips that peg out along each side of the van to make it easier to return to the same spot if you go out, although you could make something similar quite easily. Some people just use pegs by each wheel I think - I just thought the idea of a luminous runway strip type affair was quite cool!

I find it really quick to put away, as long as you make sure the valves are open and you roll it up towards them. The bag is big, so it goes back in fine.

Obviously if you end up with footprints, carpets, inner tents etc they all take a little time to roll out and position, then put away in their respective bags.

I’ve also recently bought (but not yet tried) a Coleman Event Shelter with four detachable sides, for when it’s warmer and we want a bit more flexibility, or for when we want a living space between two vans.

We've done a number of trips from overnights to a week in Devon to 18 days round Scotland and we haven't had a full awning - we just used a railsail.
I should say that there are just 2 of us and a dog so no children to worry about any more.
We've decided to go to France this year and stay a bit longer in one place, so have bought a Khyam Motordome Tourer, but not used it yet. We've had a Khyam tent before and were very pleased with it.

Vango Galli for me too.. confirm it’s easy enough to put up, but I haven’t got the hang of getting it back in the bag that quickly as yet.

Vango sapera , 2 adults , 2 kids - plenty room. Takes 10-15 mins to set up - maybe a bit longer to deflate & put away.
Use it with an awning rail . Done a couple of 2-3 week trips + lots of shorter ones. It's great .

I also have a Vango Sapera, same as above number wise. I however just throw the ties over the van roof and stake into the ground. I don't have a rail to slide it into. I just use a magnetic strip which holds it to the roof. Not had any issues so far.

Hi There,

Short time owner first time posting.

I got myself a 2017 T6 DSG last year and have the Ovano solution for bed & storage, I've used it for a few overnighters on my own but nothing major yet.

I've got a few long weekends with the family, (two kids under the age of 3) planned this summer in the UK then 2 weeks in France and I'm trying to decide on what awning to purchase, I've looked at all the threads already and think I have settled on the fact I want an inflatable drive away awning like the

Vango Cove II air mid
Faros II air low

inflatable for ease and space saving in packing and a decent amount of space and privacy for a young family.

Does anyone have one for sale or can they can point me in the right direction of somewhere I could get a discount please? , I'm not wedded to it being either of those if someone has something of a similar vibe let me know as well.

I did see a link to ex stock or something similar in here but didn't know the process?

Also under no illusions I'll end up going through a few iterations of awnings but need to make a decision and start somewhere.

FYI the air version are significantly bigger when in their bag compared to poled versions. I would suggest if you haven't already go and see some on display and check out the bag sizes.

Believe Attwools have a larger display so may be worth the drive.

I have a vango magra air awning for sale,have a look online see if it would suit,been used once the ad is on here if you type in the search bar

Just bought a Vango altona for ours from go outdoors (which I believe is a different coloured vango cove). Not used it yet but got a week up scotland next month if the van doesn't sell before then

Just bought a Vango altona for ours from go outdoors (which I believe is a different coloured vango cove). Not used it yet but got a week up scotland next month if the van doesn't sell before then
How much did you pay for the altona?

FYI the air version are significantly bigger when in their bag compared to poled versions. I would suggest if you haven't already go and see some on display and check out the bag sizes.

Believe Attwools have a larger display so may be worth the drive.
attwools is a bit of trek for me as I'm Milton Keynes based, cant seem to find many places around here with vango awanings on display to see it in situ, tried Go Outdoors and Cotswolds this weekend for some inspiration but not much at either

Trade member:
Thanks for this, I've messaged him directly so hopefully he's got something available

Reactions: CAB
For what it's worth.
I have the Vango KelaV air beam.
A bit dubious about going for the air beam but can assure you that when they're inflated, they are pretty much solid.
Used it a few times last year for longer stays and found the extra space valuable, especially when going out in the van for the day.

For what it's worth.
I have the Vango KelaV air beam.
A bit dubious about going for the air beam but can assure you that when they're inflated, they are pretty much solid.
Used it a few times last year for longer stays and found the extra space valuable, especially when going out in the van for the day.
Nice one Molldog, I've agreed a price for an airbeam Magra so will be using for the first time in a few weeks, hopefully we've got less wind by then!

Back