Which Battery health monitor and drain monitor

Pidsley

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Could any one recommend a starter battery monitor that also checks the real life drain on the battery. (assuming this exists in a single peice of kit

I'm trying to isolator a parasitic drain off my starter battery.

TIA

start here:

then have a look here:

you can use the BM2 voltage logger for long term logging. (fitted on van)

1674231814144.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

but will need a clamp meter to find what circuits are draining power (an auto electricians tool)

1674231857217.png

start here:

Initialy i thought the victronenergy shunt looked a good option. reading the install guide, it says that no other connection should be hooked up the battery neg term. Does this mean it cant be used on a bttery insitu in the van?

Also, not being an electrician at all, I dont know what the connection to other end of the shunt is too.

It's not advised to add a Victron shunt to the vans starter battery as VW already have one on it.... (It's on the NEG battery post)

Hi guys,

I've had a battery drain on my T6 Velle. I think we found it, and was a simple fix. I've got adaptions on her as I'm a wheelchair user and it appears one of the adaptions was adjusted wrong, it was permanently holding the auto gear lever button in and therefore keeping things alive (conclusion of the auto electrician from the adaptions company), does this sound plausible guys???

I have a BM2 battery monitor on the battery, I'll try and attach the screenshots to see if it's draining too much still or is it normal now??? Cheers all.

Last night...
Screenshot_20230321_214159_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg
This morning...
Screenshot_20230322_084436_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

dont worry so much about the instant voltage reading. . .

you need to look at the drop in voltage over time. . .

post some pics of your 1,3,5,7,15 day voltage plots. .

++++++++++

++++++++++

eg from my BM6 monitor:

1679481028616.png

and a 5 day plot of SOC:

1679481049533.png

and an example 15 voltage plot:

1679481099171.png

Last edited:
This is an older 15 day voltage plot mate...
Screenshot_20230322_105542_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

And the latest...
Screenshot_20230322_105621_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

I was away till the 19th so she was parked up in an airport car park. When we got back there wasn't enough in her to start. Which I already new it wouldn't, so I had the NOCO on hand. I had the auto leccy guy out then on the Monday the way 20th, and he thinks we've sorted it (he's said that before though).

Last 7 day plot...
Screenshot_20230322_110535_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

And last day...
Screenshot_20230322_110550_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

Cheers @Dellmassive as usual would've been nacad if it wasn't for yours and the other guys on the forum help and advice!

This was yesterday's full day...
I think it's definitely better if not sorted. I have a new larger battery ready to put in her but don't want it in till I've sorted the drain. I'll always have slightly more than an average T6 because of the adaptions I have, hence why I'm putting the better starter battery in!
Screenshot_20230322_111212_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

its looking much better. . .

the starter battery should stay above 12.00v for at least 3 weeks, possibly longer.

you previous plots show an issue with the starter battery dropping bellow 12.0v fairly quickly.

1679484573935.png

BUT NOW STAYING WELL ABOVE 12.0V - SO much better.

1679484650454.png

yesterdays full plot shows the marked improvement. . .

1679484723028.png

now keep using the van . .

then post a 7 day, then a 15day plot.

but looks like your issue is solved.

After 3 trips to 2 garages and 2 months later I finally have a fix for my battery drain.

A faulty unit on the sterio/ reversing camera screen (located immediately behind the screen). Apparently it was faulty and was keeping the media unit live and preventing the van from shutting down all its ecus. Easy 5 min job to replace.

Battery draw at rest is now 0.07Amps. Tracker and dash cam still running.

After 3 trips to 2 garages and 2 months later I finally have a fix for my battery drain.

A faulty unit on the sterio/ reversing camera screen (located immediately behind the screen). Apparently it was faulty and was keeping the media unit live and preventing the van from shutting down all its ecus. Easy 5 min job to replace.

Battery draw at rest is now 0.07Amps. Tracker and dash cam still running.
Great news @Pidsley you're a bit relieved to have sorted then too! Strange how these small things can cause so much stress! You deserve to put your feet up and have a cold one now pal! :)

its looking much better. . .

the starter battery should stay above 12.00v for at least 3 weeks, possibly longer.

you previous plots show an issue with the starter battery dropping bellow 12.0v fairly quickly.

View attachment 193120

BUT NOW STAYING WELL ABOVE 12.0V - SO much better.

View attachment 193121

yesterdays full plot shows the marked improvement. . .

View attachment 193122

now keep using the van . .

then post a 7 day, then a 15day plot.

but looks like your issue is solved.

Hi @Dellmassive here are some more data images...
7 day... Loads better but not sure if it would last 3 weeks above 12v if I didn't use it?! Do you think I should put the new bigger battery in now and see how it goes? Or???
Screenshot_20230405_163541_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

15 day plot...

Screenshot_20230405_163514_com.dc.battery.monitor2.jpg

its looking good for now.

staying above 12.0v

looks like the longest its been left alone is 1.5 days. ( not even a long day weekend yet)

1680711489994.png

so id say keep going as you are. . .

see how is goes over 4 days, then 7 days of no use.

all being well it should last 3-4weeks . . . . . and still restart

( though i would expect the voltage to drop slightly below 12.0 after that time)

Well guys it was definitely the incorrect adjusted adaption to the gear lever which was causing the battery drain.

We went away for a week and she started up just fine when I got back! Really relieved, thank you all hugely for your help! Especially the main man that is @Dellmassive I've also now had the bigger battery put in and that's improved things too, the wheelchair lift is now slightly faster due to the new larger battery! Happy days!

Thanks guys!!

Back