Battery Monitoring shunt for vehicle starter-battery

Pidsley

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Covered many times I know, but I want to make sure I'm current (pun intended).

I need to closely monitor amp drain from my starter battery, as I suspect I have a parasitic drain (currently showing 0.6amps when van is asleep).

I was think of the Victron SmartShunt (bluetooth version). Which one would be suitable for a 2021 T6.1, with a Yuasa EFB 7000aH (YBX7096) starter battery fitted. 500amp, 1000amp, 200oamp?

Thank you.

It's not advised to fit a shunt to the starter battery as VW have there own one on the battery NEG post.

But if I was too, I'd be fitting a 1000A version so as not to interfere with the VW system.

You can use the second input on a shunt fitted to the LB to monitor the starter voltage.

If you need to monitor current...

You can use a stand alone clamp meter...

Or use a induction Amp monitor meter that just goes around the VW main earth cable.

Last edited:
It's not advised to fit a shunt to the starter battery as VW have there own one on the battery NEG post.

But if I was to, I'd be fitting a 1000A version so as not to interfere with the VW system.
Thank you. I'm considering just fitting the shunt just whilst the van is stationary and "asleep" so I can monitor the draw on the battery over a couple of weeks. I don't intend to drive with the shunt fitted.

Example of amp meter that doesn't interfere with the factory setup....

You pass the neg cable through the sensor like a clamp meter.

Screenshot_20230201_131236_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've edited the above post with additional info

Back