Wheel size/fitment/offset and tyres?

Connor

VIP Member
I'm in the process of pricing wheels and tyres, I'm still unsure on whether to go for 19s or 20s. But what offset bore and pcd should I be going for?

Also what profile of tyres would be best?

I'm getting an Exec so it come 40mm lower than a transporter, I'm hoping ride height shold be ok.

Minefield mate and not an easy question to answer, very much a personal taste in terms of alloy size and tyre.
The easy ones.......Bore is 65.1, PCD is 5x120.
Suggest two sites. The first allows you to add the new wheel (including offset) and tyre combo against your current and tells you differences in ride height, wheel arch clearance, speedo reading etc.
www.willtheyfit.com
The second will give the full details of your current wheels
Wheel-size.com
Personally, 19s seems a good compromise between looks and comfort (if you like big alloys), and 45 profile tyre the same (if you like low profiles).

What's this thing called "off-set" please, and when do you need to consider it?

It is the distance between the back of the wheel centre and the inside edge of the wheel.
Imagine laying a wheel on the ground and measuring the distance from the ground to the back of the wheel centre.

Wheels come with different offsets to allow for differences in suspension and hub design.

Wheels with a very small offset will stick out more.

Thank you for that. Blimey......so when I get my van and go for a jacked up look, using, say 17" wheels, ie nothing as technical as a lowered system worrying about suspension and wheel arches, if the wheel offset is the same as those wheels originally supplied, I don't need to be concerned?

Thank you for that. Blimey......so when I get my van and go for a jacked up look, using, say 17" wheels, ie nothing as technical as a lowered system worrying about suspension and wheel arches, if the wheel offset is the same as those wheels originally supplied, I don't need to be concerned?
True but I assume you mean "jacked up" as a figure of speech because 17"wheels with the correct size tyre will still be the same overall diameter as what you have now, give and take a little.

Yes, the design idea I have in mind was to look off road capable, look being the operative word. Going for the look/capability seriously would have implications for other matters from other threads such as drive shafts and gearboxes I imagine. Thanks for your time.

You do realise that with larger wheels you will need lower profile tyres so that the rolling diameter is he same as the original? If you stick with higher profile for an "off-road" look you will need the speedo recallibrating and may have issues with tyres rubbing the arches

I'm thinking 17" wheels, and chunky tyres to give the same rolling diameter? I assume that way I don't worry about offset.

Hi all

Looking to fit B14 Bilstein coilovers but wanted to know which is the best combination of the below?

Wheel sizes
Tyres Sizes
Wheel Offsets

Thanks for any input

Mark

How do you define best, there are so many variables, do you want poke, tuck, slammed with camber, flush, dished wheels......

Good point, I really want a lowered look still with a 10-15mm gap with 20" or 21" alloys but not wheels that stick out of the arch

Does it really have to be 860kgs surely it would be 800kgs as that's the gross weight divided by 4 ???

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh not all this again!!?? Plenty of threads on this forum dealing with the issue relating to the T32 wheel weights and legalities.. Risks... Licences etc etc try a search.. :eek::whistle::thumbsup::thumbsup::speechless::speechless::speechless:

@Mark Banks , To save you the hassle, and show how nice I am :eek::whistle::rofl: try this thread for an example..
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/any-idea-what-these-wheels-are.2459/page-3

Last edited:
Back