Wheel centre-bore

FREDO

Australian Member
T6 Pro
I have just picked up my new van and fitted my new set of wheels.
I noticed that the centre of the wheel is bigger than the spigot
on the hub. Would this be a problem?

Yes, it would be a problem .You need spigot rings to centre & keep centred the wheel on the hub.
E.g.

Yes, it would be a problem .You need spigot rings to centre & keep centred the wheel on the hub.
E.g.
Thank you. Do you think spigots with about 1.5mm difference between wheel and hub would be suitable?

Thank you. Do you think spigots with about 1.5mm difference between wheel and hub would be suitable?
I would go for exact "match". Any slack between wheel and spigot in worst case would allow wheel to move around. E.g. hitting a pothole could create huge impact because the slack would allow the wheel to "accelerate" and then hammer against the spigot/hub. The worst case could be similar as in second picture in How to ruin a brand new wheel !

I would go for exact "match". Any slack between wheel and spigot in worst case would allow wheel to move around. E.g. hitting a pothole could create huge impact because the slack would allow the wheel to "accelerate" and then hammer against the spigot/hub. The worst case could be similar as in second picture in How to ruin a brand new wheel !

Would you know what the size on the hub would be on a 4 motion .I dont have Vernier's sorry.

By design, the spigot is under no load once the wheel bolts are tight, and is just used to help centre the wheel initially, hence why most alloy wheels come with soft plastic spigot rings.
If the spigot is ever forced to bear weight, things have already gone very wrong - the wheel bolts have come loose or were never properly tightened.
Many vehicles are "lugcentric" and don't have a functional spigot at all. Running without spigot rings isn't unsafe provided the wheel bolts are tightened in the correct sequence to allow the taper on them to locate the wheel properly - eg do them all finger tight first, then torque to spec.

Back