Wheel arches - to be or not to be

BeccaJDB

VIP Member
VW have just quoted me £325 for black moulded wheel arch protectors. It seems a lot but I would like to save the paintwork if I can. I haven’t seen many vans with them attached. Are they useful? Would they look ok on my 6.1 Caravelle (which is having a slim side/door moulding attached next week)?

I’ve looked at RGM, Vanstyle and some eBay options but am wary of the fit (I remember seeing a photo on the forum somewhere of bits of plastic that didn’t line up).

This is my van before the side mouldings.

version=1&uuid=3EF54939-CEC5-468E-A250-6668A542EF3A&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg

I got the more expensive ones in the hope the quality would be better and im not disappointed, although in the hot hot sun of days gone by they have distorted a tiny amount, but nothing to note. I got mine for the look rather than protection as such. Some might say that they hold in moisture and grime behind them.

I got the more expensive ones in the hope the quality would be better and im not disappointed, although in the hot hot sun of days gone by they have distorted a tiny amount, but nothing to note. I got mine for the look rather than protection as such. Some might say that they hold in moisture and grime behind them.
Thanks Ricardo. I did wonder if they would lead to problems further down the line. Maybe the answer is just to be careful!! And stay well away from other road-users!

Maybe I'm just wierd but I don't see the sense in covering up bits of vehicles just to protect the paint which you'll never see because it's covered up? It's like covering up a beautiful parquet floor with cheap lino.

For me it's more about protecting the metal under the paint rather than the paint itself.

For me it's more about protecting the metal under the paint rather than the paint itself.
That's all well and good, provided that road grime can't get trapped behind the mouldings, in which case premature corrosion is more likely than protection.

One thing to watch for is that the slider might rub after fitting, especially with kombi / velle door cards. The slider clearance from rear wheel arch is really tight. Although the protectors are only 1-2mm it can be enough - mine rubs *sometimes* depending on parking angle, I've yet to sort out if I could adjust the slider accordingly.

Otherwise I'm happy with the protectors!

No a panel van mate. I have used this on my black plastics and seems very good so far. Screenshot_20230717-143653.png

I did all the plastics including the bumpers and used half a bottle, not cheap but supposed to last 6 months

That's all well and good, provided that road grime can't get trapped behind the mouldings, in which case premature corrosion is more likely than protection.
Completely agree. The factory fit lower door and wheel arch panels on our Volvo XC70 are now 17 years old, have what I whimsically call "a deep patina" and no sign of corrosion.

I think if you put quality stuff on but also triple check "does the way this attach risk trapping stuff behind it" they can be valuable. Think protection not looks.

I was planning to put lower mouldings on the Caravelle until I realised the "chrome pack" is already there from the factory, a great shame as my experience shows they are really valuable when well done.

Reactions: Bav
I had a set fitted over about a month in winter, washed the car with pressure washer every week then one of these fell off and I was shocked at the amount of grime in there. I took them all off as all that would happen is over time is sit there and rot away over time so I think they will do more harm than good TBH.

One thing to watch for is that the slider might rub after fitting, especially with kombi / velle door cards. The slider clearance from rear wheel arch is really tight. Although the protectors are only 1-2mm it can be enough - mine rubs *sometimes* depending on parking angle, I've yet to sort out if I could adjust the slider accordingly.

Otherwise I'm happy with the protectors!
Agree,
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of fitting these, , You won’t be able to fit a Loc8 table in the sliding door with the arch protectors fitted, I drove over to the Loc8 HQ to see if the table will fit ok, it doesn’t, it will rub slightly..

Thanks everyone. I think, on balance, it’s a ‘no’ for me. The photos of the arches look great, but they do seem to be more for off-road-y than mine will ever be. So what shall I spend the saved £325 on, I wonder.

Back