So how much energy does a T6.1 California Ocean fridge use? - I just measured mine.

Oceanis

German Member
T6 Guru
Since I got my solar running properly I have been testing to see if the system really is self-sufficient. That means fridge on 24/7 sitting on my driveway - trying not to move it.
So some numbers ....

Capture.JPG

Solar is regularly delivering 0,72 kWh a day (measured over the last 5 days running the fridge) and reaching Absorption / Float every day.

PS: The temperature in the picture is the battery temperature (under the passenger seat) measure by a Victron Smart Battery Sense.

Update: Once cooled down and full, and once the internal temperature of the van had dropped to to under 24°C, the duty ratio came down to around 25%.

So keeping the van ventilated and the fridge full will use around 19Ah or 0,25kWh a day. Not too bad at all - so 0,25 to 0,4 kWh is what to budget for IMO - a bit more if filling the fridge with items that have not been pre-cooled.

Anyone considering solar can use this rough calculator MPPT Calculator - Victron Energy to determine how much solar will deliver at any location to cover their daily energy needs. Enter the details of your intended panels, MPPT and location.

The fridge is by far and away the biggest 12V load apart from the inverter if you use one.

The device I used to measure the fridge current/power is one of these ...

Very useful for working out the power budget before installing solar.

1661584586480.png

The orange line is the battery voltage, it is pulled down every time the fridge compressor comes on, drawing 3,12A - which drops the battery voltage slightly. The temperature is the temperature of the battery under the passenger seat - which is pretty much ambient for the van interior.

The jump up at the end is when the solar kicked in, and I then plugged in 220V to see how external power, VW charger and solar coexist.

Back