Swamped.. What Tyre And Wheel To Go For???

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all,

Now not to pee anyone off but have read through the threads and am none the wiser in what I want... I know, but I am fairly new to this and am like a kid in a candy shop... please bear with me!

Anyways, I like the semi-swamper look, so am considering adding wheel arch trims (depending on how they look with vw carbon splitter / spoiler - does anyone has any photos of a similar setup?) to my T32 4 Motion. I'm also having vb air added at some point in the near future and I am really not sure what wheel/tyre combo to go for... I liked the Michelin agilis cross climates but they only go up to a 17 inch wheel.

In terms of van use it will be usually on-road, distance travel, dry/muddy fields, occasional off road / alpine use. They need to be good in both mud and snow - don't really want to have to worry about changing tyres through the year so they need to be good all rounders with little or no impact on mpg and not to be any worse on road noise than the current factory fit...

Any and all advice welcome!! Thanks!

CZ.

PS. Had posted this in another thread but I think it got lost amongst other posts. Happy for it to be moved once any answers / feedback comes in. Thx.

I think you need to be more specific to get a response i.e. are there specific wheels and tyres that you want an opinion on ?

Pete

I think you need to be more specific to get a response i.e. are there specific wheels and tyres that you want an opinion on ?

Pete
Hey Pete, really liked the cross climate but limited to 17 inch and I really wanted to fill the arch a bit more, quite like these wheels but have no clue on tyres only know what I want out of them...

IMG_8514.PNG IMG_8427.JPG IMG_8431.JPG

IMG_0501.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0503.jpg

You are probably aware of this, but because yours is a T32, you are more limited on wheels and tyres due to the load requirements of that T6 variant. Loads of threads here on that, but it will help you narrow down what options you have.

Pete

You are probably aware of this, but because yours is a T32, you are more limited on wheels and tyres due to the load requirements of that T6 variant. Loads of threads here on that, but it will help you narrow down what options you have.

Pete
Yup, am factoring that in - just looking for real world examples :). It's not a problem really I will work it out but like to get thoughts of people with experience...

You also need to bear in mind that the winter/all season/off road tyre subject has done the rounds fairly extensively recently, and pretty sure it covers your tyre needs question

You also need to bear in mind that the winter/all season/off road tyre subject has done the rounds fairly extensively recently, and pretty sure it covers your tyre needs question
Agonised on this for weeks ended up with Goodyear vector all seasons .....

51F56260-44E4-4B59-B59A-2A1AAAB1CBDD.jpeg

Problem I found in trying to get the off road style was the compromise between looks+comfort+economy.
Once you find the tyre you need to get the correct load rating then look at fuel economy then last but not least road noise. You spend a lot of time driving to your camping destination so try an get the lowest noise rating . You don’t want to rock up to the campsite after 150miles journey with your ears ringing like you have just been to a heavy metal session Wayne and Garth(Wayne’s world to those less sophisticated readers :) ).
So choose carefully and spend time on the research.

Agree, the challenge is - not having looked in to tyres before - making the right decision. ;)

5A3DD171-55F0-4BAF-8459-A9E6FB9B76D0.jpeg I do like the wheel, we went for graphite. We spotted a van with 16” bfg at this years volksworld show . Looked really good ( it was displayed by vw-t) but I got put off when started to look at the stats on the tyres. Look vs practicality’s it will torment you for days if not weeks.

View attachment 53621 I do like the wheel, we went for graphite. We spotted a van with 16” bfg at this years volksworld show . Looked really good ( it was displayed by vw-t) but I got put off when started to look at the stats on the tyres. Look vs practicality’s it will torment you for days if not weeks.
What's more days and weeks o_O

Already spent what feels like a life time on planning every part of this build... definitely over thinking it!!

If it’s any consolation we started thinking about ours 3 years ago . We met Darrell from DVS at a just kampers open day in 2016. Then last October we went to the new motor home show. Could get on with any of the big converters.in February this year looked at venture + camper king . They could not deviate from standard builds . Then February found ourselves talking to DVS . Started the full spec list March . DVS found us a van(which we bought and had delivered to them) meanwhile spec was still developing.dvs is a small business working with vamoos for beds and roofs so it did take quite a while to get it through build. We started the thinking about tyres and wheels in March after volksworld . We even visited the tyre fitting company which is adjacent to DVS. We made several choices of wheels and tyres that were not suitable with respect to load. We took delivery of the van on 25 sept and the wheels/tyres were fitted on the same day. So I would suggest that you will be thinking about your choice for quite a while , but that surely is part of the enjoyment of designing what you want and seeing it through. So it short , yes over think it but it doesn’t really matter or affect build progress, They can be the last thing going on the van, before keys are handed over.

If it’s any consolation we started thinking about ours 3 years ago . We met Darrell from DVS at a just kampers open day in 2016. Then last October we went to the new motor home show. Could get on with any of the big converters.in February this year looked at venture + camper king . They could not deviate from standard builds . Then February found ourselves talking to DVS . Started the full spec list March . DVS found us a van(which we bought and had delivered to them) meanwhile spec was still developing.dvs is a small business working with vamoos for beds and roofs so it did take quite a while to get it through build. We started the thinking about tyres and wheels in March after volksworld . We even visited the tyre fitting company which is adjacent to DVS. We made several choices of wheels and tyres that were not suitable with respect to load. We took delivery of the van on 25 sept and the wheels/tyres were fitted on the same day. So I would suggest that you will be thinking about your choice for quite a while , but that surely is part of the enjoyment of designing what you want and seeing it through. So it short , yes over think it but it doesn’t really matter or affect build progress, They can be the last thing going on the van, before keys are handed over.
Thanks, appreciate the post - my journey is about 18 months long or so now. Am happy to say I have the van and that the conversion is booked in, so it’s just the finer detail now... I have enjoyed the process but am now looking forward to having it all done. :)

I have some amarok wheels and tyres for sale...
maybe sell on the tyres to an amarok owner and fit some 255/45/19's for that factory look and finsh!

Back