What does extended warranty cover?

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone bothered with an extended warranty? I don't normally bother but I've been quoted £329 for an additional 24 months with a mileage limit of 80000 miles.
Seems like reasonable value for the peace of mind.

Thoughts anyone???????
MD

I will most likely be taking it up. Will be a lower cost than an external warranty although will want to read terms around betterment etc

No brainer for me - I have already included it and the service package in my budget.

I wanted it but was told you can only buy it within 12 weeks of vehicle registration and mine was already over :(

I wanted it but was told you can only buy it within 12 weeks of vehicle registration and mine was already over :(
Maybe it wasn't available when you bought?

Or perhaps your dealer wasn't doing their job properly - in which case rattle their cage.

Can only extend during first three months after registration and my van was pre registered ex demo/display vehicle was over three months when I bought it

No brainer for me - I have already included it and the service package in my budget.

Me Also, although it was all a bit shifty. I was never offered either 5 years warrantee or the 4 services for £200 or whatever it was, but read about it on another forum (before I came across t6forum), and I had to ask time and time again for it with the dealer. Then It was only if I used their finance (4.9apr), then it wasn't. Then I could have another £1000 off because I owned another vw which I wasn't trading (loyalty bonus) on top of the 10% discount I already had negociated (I know you get 12% off with vans, but vels and cali's are different - I think). Then the £1000 was dropped to £800 but I could get another £600 finance bonus if I took their finance again at 4.9%apr.

So in the end I think I got 5years/80k miles full warrantee; 4 services all for around £600 for the both; and £1000 off ; and 10% off vehicle and extras price.

Given that it will only need servicing every 2 years (milage round 10K/yr), I will not have to pay for another service until year 10. Really??????? Then I read the small print which says 2 major and 2 minor services included in the package but the dealer is adamant I will get 4 long life services??????? Anyway I will have to sort that out later but it still seems a good deal:):)

@Pauly bad luck - but you would have thought they could do stuff with ex demo fleet.

@chriscroft I thought that Calis and Vels already came with 5 years? I bought the services three years ago with our T5 and was caught out about just how many weren't included :( Mind at our last full service back in June they offered to add the next intermediate for £20 so I have taken that on the basis that we will sell the van with a dealer service included.

Given that it will only need servicing every 2 years (milage round 10K/yr), I will not have to pay for another service until year 10. Really??????? Then I read the small print which says 2 major and 2 minor services included in the package but the dealer is adamant I will get 4 long life services??????? Anyway I will have to sort that out later but it still seems a good deal:):)

Get that in writing from the dealer... It will be two minor and two major as far as the finance company are concerned, and that's what they will pay the dealer for. Although tbh I believe the T6 only needs a major service every 40k anyway which would be about right...

Yes, I was told effectively first 4 services covered so first 8 years of servicing paid for!!!

Hmmmmm???? My dealer suggested the service package wasn't good value for me as I'll be doing 8 to 10000 a year max........I'm sure he said I'd only get two services given my low mileage???? I'm not taking vw finance so I don't know if that makes a difference???

I had to take finance, stuck minimum amount on finance £3,500 and cancelled it after 3 months so prob cost me another £50 or so

Get that in writing from the dealer... It will be two minor and two major as far as the finance company are concerned, and that's what they will pay the dealer for. Although tbh I believe the T6 only needs a major service every 40k anyway which would be about right...

Yes you could be right, I assumed: major service = 2year/20kmiles/variable indicator, but that might not be the case! could a minor service= 2oKmiles service ?
Just a complete lack of transparency with every thing:confused::confused:

Thats how it was explained to me, 2nd yr minor, 4th yr major, 6th yr minor, 8th yr major
These four services bought at the standard rate individually is over £1000 the dealer told me !
Looks like my van was set to fixed servicing because i am currently driving around with an inspection due warning showing on dash gotta take it to dealer to get it cleared cant do it with VCDS unfortunately

Hmmmmm???? My dealer suggested the service package wasn't good value for me as I'll be doing 8 to 10000 a year max........I'm sure he said I'd only get two services given my low mileage???? I'm not taking vw finance so I don't know if that makes a difference???

I had issues when I got a service plan for my Passat... It transpires that the finance company had increased the terms for the servicing from 2 to 4 years, but the dealers haven't taken consideration of that!

Basically I do 25k a year and was taking PCP based on that. Special offer said 2 services (minor + major) and I made damn sure that I would be entitled to both despite the "high mileage" that I do.

Four months later already got a service warning. Turns out that the dealer put me on a short life service plan, "to ensure I got both my services within the 2 year window available" - chased this up and the dealer was either stupid or deliberately trying to pull a fast one...

These service plans are usually tied in to having a finance deal, cos most of those involve vehicle having a certain value at end of finance agreement. Subsidised service plans are a good way to ensure you get the car serviced on time & at a branded dealership, rather than getting a local garage to do it when things start clogging up :)

Of course, the dealers also offer plans of their own, usually underwritten by someone like EMAC (which is who our Zafira service plan was with) so it may have been one of these that was being offered to you. They probably have a similar set of terms and conditions...

Yep - about £370 for two years proper VW warranty extension; not some useless aftermarket thing they used to sell. Total no brainer as we'll be doing low miles so the 80k cap isn't an issue.

We had a load of issues with our old van - VW offered to pay for the 1 year warranty extension which was actually just insurance. Get this - £1650 for a year with a £2500 PER CLAIM cap. I almost laughed at them. I insisted on a PROPER year's warranty extension but still sold the van anyway.

Has anyone bothered with an extended warranty? I don't normally bother but I've been quoted £329 for an additional 24 months with a mileage limit of 80000 miles.
Seems like reasonable value for the peace of mind.

Thoughts anyone???????
MD

Hi
Who offered you the deal ? Vw Finance?
Every moron I speak to at JCB volkswagen says they don't know what deal this is ?
God I hate dealing with sales idiots.
Any help would be appreciated as my 3 months is up next Tuesday.
Cheers flyingging

Hi
Who offered you the deal ? Vw Finance?
Every moron I speak to at JCB volkswagen says they don't know what deal this is ?
God I hate dealing with sales idiots.
Any help would be appreciated as my 3 months is up next Tuesday.
Cheers flyingging
The sales and service folk at Eurovans - i.e. JCB @ Westham, know about it :)

Back