What Coffee Machine do you have in your van?

Currently on a Wacaco Nanopresso with a NS nespresso adapter.
We have this in our van too.
I pump it just a couple of times until I feel/hear the water enter the capsule and let the coffee in the pod soak for a little bit first.

Can I ask (for a friend ;)), if a coffee machine is rated at 1300W, does it draw a constant 1300W throughout the process or is this just the peak?
For the Nespressos (original and vertu) I have the load is near constant as it keeps the heater block hot so it has the thermal mass to cope. I always make a habit of turning them off rather than relying on their timeout.

I don't use them in the van though.

For that I have a Travel Aeropress that lives in the kitchen pod. I've used espresso jugs too. I just have the basic butane cartridge stove in the pod.

Never thought too much about it to be honest, but can't be much as it's only running a few minutes ;)
Running the numbers let's say 10 minutes.

1500w at 12v is 125amps, factor in 80% efficiency in the inverter means more likely 150amp draw on the LB system.

150 amp x 1/6 hour gives 25aH

If you have a more efficient inverter and take care to not leave them idling longer than needed you could probably assume half that. Also I tend to use a worst case system voltage of 12v for heavy loads as voltage will sag, but if you have a high capacity LiFePo system it may stay higher and so have a slightly lower draw.

For energy monitoring I have a proper Kill-a-Watt from Maplins (RIP) that lives with the event gear but around the house I've used these generic ones to keep an eye on things (Amazon used as example not recommendation)

They're really handy to check actual power draw, though note that I'm not totally confident on accuracy for devices drawing a handful of watts. The data logging function is very useful for understanding devices that use power intermittently such as the frost heater and fridge in the garage; note that the memory backup is 2 button cells in the back which will go flat after a year or so. I've never replaced them as it works fine plugged in without them, just need to remember to note the readings before turning off (and of course you'd lose them in a power cut)

For energy monitoring I have a proper Kill-a-Watt from Maplins (RIP) that lives with the event gear but around the house I've used these generic ones to keep an eye on things (Amazon used as example not recommendation)

They're really handy to check actual power draw, though note that I'm not totally confident on accuracy for devices drawing a handful of watts. The data logging function is very useful for understanding devices that use power intermittently such as the frost heater and fridge in the garage; note that the memory backup is 2 button cells in the back which will go flat after a year or so. I've never replaced them as it works fine plugged in without them, just need to remember to note the readings before turning off (and of course you'd lose them in a power cut)
@roadtripper , That's exactly the one I had! I only used it once to monitor the draw of my coffee machine, a 1300 watt machine which peaks at 1500+ watts. I sent it off yesterday to one of our members oop North who may benefit from its presence more than I. It did appear to do the job, I wasn't going to argue with it! A worthwhile purchase I think.

@roadtripper , That's exactly the one I had! I only used it once to monitor the draw of my coffee machine, a 1300 watt machine which peaks at 1500+ watts. I sent it off yesterday to one of our members oop North who may benefit from its presence more than I. It did appear to do the job, I wasn't going to argue with it! A worthwhile purchase I think.
Aye up sithee. 'Ow do? ;)

It's just landed - cheers Wayne. :thumbsup:

Here is ours just bought from lavazza and also on offer. Like I said previously we subscribe to lavazza and get their pods direct.

This machine is also on offer at the minute and is the smallest one they do.

IMG_5551.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpegIMG_5552.jpeg

Ahh well the Tassimo I bought is tripping my Clayton (1500W). Read the elec spec of the coffee machine (should've done that before I bought it ha ha) and its 1500W but its drawing more on start up I guess so tripping the Clayton

Ahh well the Tassimo I bought is tripping my Clayton (1500W). Read the elec spec of the coffee machine (should've done that before I bought it ha ha) and its 1500W but its drawing more on start up I guess so tripping the Clayton
Love my Tassimo but there's something about it that makes my inverter grumble, the slightly different model in my kitchen when tried in the van does the same. 1540 watts at peak my voltage checker (well Bavs now) said.

Reactions: Bav
Love my Tassimo but there's something about it that makes my inverter grumble, the slightly different model in my kitchen when tried in the van does the same. 1540 watts at peak my voltage checker (well Bavs now) said.
Tried a 1300W one and thats doing the same so the power surge is too much for it unfortunately. Will be fine on EHU if I bypass the Claytons 230v socket
EDIT - @roadtripper am I right assuming I would have to run a 16A extension lead into the van and totally bypass the Clayton in order to get the Tassimo machine to work?

Back