What Coffee Machine do you have in your van?

Excuse my ignorance, but I always thought the beans determined the quality of the drink. What role does the machine play in making a quality drink?

Excuse my ignorance, but I always thought the beans determined the quality of the drink. What role does the machine play in making a quality drink?
The challenge is to get the flavours out of the beans into the water. Temperature, pressure, time, flow rate, water quality are variables to be controlled by the machine. It’s like turning diesel into a driving van.

(I’m a chemist, so drank a lot of coffee, but not a barista, so I’m no expert at making it.)

Very much so, but for an espresso machine the pressure, duration and temperature of the process is vital and some machines are better than others. Also vital is the grind size and how long ago it was done.

any suggestions on a pod taking coffee machine that can make a good latte and also has a milk frother? Out of my depth here as a tea drinker and want to surprise her indoors (before I tell her how much the Clayton LPS cost :think smile bounce: )

any suggestions on a pod taking coffee machine that can make a good latte and also has a milk frother? Out of my depth here as a tea drinker and want to surprise her indoors (before I tell her how much the Clayton LPS cost :think smile bounce: )
Pods are quite expensive compared to using a ground coffee machine...but then again, I'm a tight Scotsman :p

Nespresso pods at home, so....

Tried a Nowpresso first; battery operated, but lasts forever if using the kettle to heat the water.

One failed and we had it replaced under warranty; the pod press thing that punctures the foil cracked and so would not puncture it.

The second one has now bent and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, especially on the denser pods. Shame, it was ideal, and would be great if they did a stronger, metal receiver.

Currently on a Wacaco Nanopresso with a NS nespresso adapter.

Hand operated, which is a bit of a struggle with stronger pods, but works fine.

However the case has cracked, and is out of warranty. It is still working, but waiting for it to fail catastrophically.

Can't really justify the cost of lithium or a portable battery, unless I can convince Mrs CAB that we can Remoska off-grid!

Nespresso pods at home, so....

Tried a Nowpresso first; battery operated, but lasts forever if using the kettle to heat the water.

One failed and we had it replaced under warranty; the pod press thing that punctures the foil cracked and so would not puncture it.

The second one has now bent and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, especially on the denser pods. Shame, it was ideal, and would be great if they did a stronger, metal receiver.

Currently on a Wacaco Nanopresso with a NS nespresso adapter.

Hand operated, which is a bit of a struggle with stronger pods, but works fine.

However the case has cracked, and is out of warranty. It is still working, but waiting for it to fail catastrophically.

Can't really justify the cost of lithium or a portable battery, unless I can convince Mrs CAB that we can Remoska off-grid!
+1 for the Wacaco, perfect size for a bulging van…and the result is passable on an americano basis.

Reactions: CAB
Reciprocation requires an exchange of some sort, be that ££, beer, tea... or even coffee ;)

How about we cut out the PO/RM middlemen and exchange at Bala?
The reciprocity I was referring to was @Radford1071s (a generous Scot) sending me Arthur Dozen wheel bolts and wouldn't take a penny toward his cost of sending them, or indeed the bolts! I'll send you this voltage checker, you could give it back at Bala if it's a one hit wonder!

you can get a frother from Nespresso...we have one but not been used yet! (had it for over 2 years :D)

Hi Jim, does your Dedica machine work ok without being on hook up? Thats the model I was looking at using in my camper.
Rick.
Hi Rick. I plug it into my Ecoflow Delta 2 and it works OK

Last edited:
And me....with a bit of coffeemate...
I am a PG guy in my working day, but I will indulge in a black Nespresso coffee when the big boss isn't around. My colleague made me a black coffee yesterday with a spoonful of coffeemate in it. Absolutely foul stuff!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Gotta say our little Tassimo makes a good latte (the wife says). It's a 2 pod job, the second being the milky stuff. Obviously dreadful for the planet, but so is a diesel, rumour has it!

Not a coffee machine, but we use a Hotel chocolate velvetiser in the van, runs at about 450w for 3 minutes a cup, we use a power bank at the moment, you can get various ‘coffee’hot chocolates along with the normal hot chocolates.
Highly recommended for a nice hot treat.IMG_1072.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a coffee machine, but we use a Hotel chocolate velvetiser in the van, runs at about 450w for 3 minutes a cup, we use a power bank at the moment, you can get various ‘coffee’hot chocolates along with the normal hot chocolates.
Highly recommended for a nice hot treat.
A 100% chocolate drink is my kind of coffee! Sllluuurrrppp :)

I love coffee... I love my yeti mug... I drink loads and loads... Seem to always have filled up! Website below quite interesting... Worth a look!

Cafetiere doesn't do it for me. Have a dolce gusto machine which had been used then went away for a while and is.back out. Found the Lidl pods good..strong Nescafé gold blend seems to hit spot now!

Back