What Books Are You Reading At The Moment?

I've got to say that I gave up on the Reacher series quite a while ago as I thought they just got to be a bit samey. I'm currently reading a terrific yarn called 'The Notorious Scarlett and Brown' which is the second in the series and is actually better that the first one. I think the target audience is teenagers but I'm really enjoying it as it's written with great flair and imagination. That's also quite fitting as Mrs AJ reckons that my mental age sometimes seem to be in the mid-teens. Next up I'll be going back to the Bosch series by Michael Connelly - I'm currently at book 18 which is a crossover with the Lincoln Lawyer series. Connelly is a man who has never let me down yet.

I've got to say that I gave up on the Reacher series quite a while ago as I thought they just got to be a bit samey. I'm currently reading a terrific yarn called 'The Notorious Scarlett and Brown' which is the second in the series and is actually better that the first one. I think the target audience is teenagers but I'm really enjoying it as it's written with great flair and imagination. That's also quite fitting as Mrs AJ reckons that my mental age sometimes seem to be in the mid-teens. Next up I'll be going back to the Bosch series by Michael Connelly - I'm currently at book 18 which is a crossover with the Lincoln Lawyer series. Connelly is a man who has never let me down yet.
Very true the Bosch series was always a good read I reread them all .One good thing about getting older 2 weeks after reading a book I have forgotten the storyline I do tend to read 1 or 2 books a week not very often I re-read a series though. Mind you I bought a book at the airport 28 years ago on my way to China and I have re-read it about 10 times The Hot Zone by Richard Preston I think they tried to make into a tv series once but not a very good attempt

@stu3467. I've always said that if a book's worth reading once, it's usually worth it again after a break and, like you, the breaks seem to be getting shorter as I get older! On the Hot Zone, it's excellent and I've read it several times now but it still manages to scare me sh1tless. I also agree that the TV series was somewhat less good and it was one of those where I never got past the first episode!

Please tell me this book is better than the last one which was absolute crap. Said I would never read another Reacher book after the pathetic attempt by Andrew Child to bring back the character :mad::mad: Gutted
I only downloaded it today.
Agree the last few aren’t a match for the earlier books.

5172d0lsM7L.jpg

Just finished this.
If you've ever wondered what might happen if we lost all electricity for a prolonged period of time, this is a decent take on events IMO.

Interesting thread, I used to read a fair bit when I was younger. Have bought (and then sold due to lack of use) a Kindle a few times over the years but these days I don’t seem to have enough patience to read anything more than the odd article in a Transporter magazine or on a forum. Plus I have a widgey eye which makes it harder.

@Octane85. Just downloaded that and will put it in the long queue. If you want something that's a bit closer to home try Last Light by Alex Scarrow. It's a long time since I read it but the basic story is about how quickly society in the UK falls apart once the fuel stops pumping - I remember that at the time, I found it quite scary as it was so plausible.

Last edited:
Good thread...... :thumbsup:

Used to read loads of fiction/fantasy (Feist, Eddings, Asimov, Moorcock, Banks to name but a few) but have gravitated to mostly non-fiction in recent years - geopolitics, social history & travel in particular. Can't imagine not having at least on book on the go at any given time.

Random selection of stuff from the ever-shifting bedside 'heap';
  • Current read - Kleptopia by Tom Burgis, slightly dry but fascinating/terrifying insight into the murky world of oligarchs' finances and the City's involvement/complicity
  • Tim Marshall - Prisoners of Geography, Power of Geography, Worth Dying For and Divided - brilliant stuff, and goes a long way to help understand Ukraine in particular
  • Klaus Dodds - Border Wars - slightly more serious geopolitics (and harder going) than Tim Marshall
  • John Sopel - If Only They Didn't speak English, A Year at The Circus, UnPresidented - really witty & insightful commentary on America & Trumpian politics
  • Robert Peston - WTF? - amusing take on the 'act of national self harm' that was Brexit
  • Rory Maclean - Pravda Ha Ha - amusing and slightly wistful tour of Russia just before the pandemic, Maclean lived/travelled there in the late 80's so an interesting contrast
  • Mark Forsyth - The Etymologicon - amusing look at the etymology of everyday words & phrases, fairly light reading
  • Tom Morton - Holy Waters - light hearted look at the connections between religion & alcohol. Spirit of Adventure is also good.
  • Bill Bryson - pretty much everything he's ever written - At Home, A Short History of Nearly Everything and The Body are probably my favourites, read many times
Aside from that, I have bought & read pretty much every cycling biography/autobiography book ever written, some are really good - Tyler Hamilton, Chris Froome, David Millar & Geraint Thomas in particular; some are interesting but hard going - Mark Rendell's Death of Marco Pantani is very detailed, very thorough but a bit of a slog; and some is just not that great - Bradley Wiggins, Steve Cummings, Jens Voight and Mark Cavendish - clearly they couldn't afford better ghost writers.... ;)

Determined to get back into reading so just bought a Kindle at Amazon - saved £35 as it’s Black Friday sale week from today.

Also got 3 months Kindle Unlimited for free too.

After being recommended earlier in this thread my first book will be…

96171EB3-AB4A-4795-B2A5-BC0ECEA8DA64.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
For a very funny and well written account of the space shuttle program
Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales Of A Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane
Hard to put down!
Also found a book a while back published in the early 70s in a charity shop (my favourite place for buying books ) looked like an original copy it was that old and brown pages

Legionnaire by Simon Murray the story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion in the 60s , looks like it has been recently re published Jesus they were tough!!

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I used to read a fair bit when I was younger. Have bought (and then sold due to lack of use) a Kindle a few times over the years but these days I don’t seem to have enough patience to read anything more than the odd article in a Transporter magazine or on a forum. Plus I have a widgey eye which makes it harder.
Hi @t6blo , Have you tried any audiobooks?

The first audiobooks I listened to were on CDs, the Digital downloads are much better now. :thumbsup:

Back