What Books Are You Reading At The Moment?

This is the autobiography of Duncan Hamilton. One of very few 40s and 50s racers that survived into old age. A classic privileged, monied and Gung Ho lifestyle. As were most drivers from the days of Brooklands right through to my day and the the carnage of the seventies and eighties. It's been health and safetyfied nowadays but at least most racing drivers get to retire. This Chris Evans forward sums it up…

IMG_20221118_143356.jpg

IMG_20221118_143554 2.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 15.01.12.png

I’m on the Count of Monte Cristo for perhaps the third time?
Like most books it’s a million miles from any of the movie versions….such an intricately woven tapestry of Edmond’s gradual insinuation into the lives of those who wronged him followed by the best serving of revenge ever!
A long read which is fine if you’re on an e- reader which can be stored in the useless overhead storage in my T6 but the thick book should still stuff into the glovebox or door bin

Re-read Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon. This was the inspiration for Ewan McGregor's "Long Way Round".
Ted Simon did a round the world journey in the '70's on a Triumph. No support crew, totally solo and without phone/internet/sat nav. An engaging read.

Also re-read Catcher In The Rye. Last read it nearly 40 years ago as an O Level study. Still quite funny and rather innocent.

Two books I’ve enjoyed, but very different

9AFA503E-6A1B-47D5-8D3A-9A28F1F1C90E.jpeg

In this riveting entry in the celebrated thriller series, former intelligence operative Will Cochrane-a "ruthless yet noble" (Ft. Worth Star-Telegram) man from whom "Bond and Bourne could learn a thing or two" (Madison County Herald) comes out of hiding to expose a conspiracy involving a past assassination that reaches to the highest echelons of the U.S. government.

474D9D29-4952-4653-B89F-9BBC2A7394FB.jpeg
Born under different stars, Protestant Mungo and Catholic James live in a hyper-masculine world. They are caught between two of Glasgow's housing estates where young working-class men divide themselve along sectarian lines, and fight territorial battles for the sake of reputation. They should be sworn enemies if they're to be seen as men at all, and yet they become best friends as they find a sanctuary in tr doocot that James has built for his prize racing pigeons. As they begin to fall in love, they dream of escaping the grey city, and Mungo must work hard to hide his true self from all those around him, especial from his elder brother Hamish, a local gang leader with a brutal reputation to uphold.

Now reading ..
0833BE0A-BAE9-4EF3-8DC1-453667F973B3.jpeg
Having survived combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, at thirty-two years old he's swapping fighting the Taliban and Al Qaeda for a different kind of danger in the cut-throat world of high finance
His daily commute on the 6.20 a.m. train into New York's financial district, to his new job as an analyst at the minted powerhouse investment bank Cowl and Comely, takes him into a world where greed, power, jealousy and ambition result in the financial abuse of the masses and the enrichment of an elite few.

next up..
3C349718-AFC1-461E-828E-7F4FBFCD1BB9.jpeg
Having spent his childhood in the backstreets of a northern steel town, he went on to become one of the world's foremost heart surgeons. His drive for perfection in his profession took him to the world-renowned Harefield Hospital, the foremost heart surgery centre in Birmingham, Alabama, and the newly-created Cardiothoracic Centre in Oxford. Then in 2019 in Wuhan, he was the first Western doctor to learn about COVID-19 before the virus was identified.

Have just started reading David Baldacci 'Deliver us from evil'. In the opening chapters there is a reference to 'Holodomor'. Which I had never heard of. Refers to Stalin in 1932-1933, murdered through starvation 7 million Ukrainian's. Stole the food, the crops, the seeds and the tools. Mass graves etc. Makes it so much more understandable that the current war in Ukraine, is a war until the 'last man standing'. Putin is carrying on what Stalin started. Which makes the Jewish Holocaust no less horrific, but puts the media and knowledge of the holocaust front and centre, more well known due to film and media. Would Putin have attempted this war, if the world new the history more?

Have just started reading David Baldacci 'Deliver us from evil'. In the opening chapters there is a reference to 'Holodomor'. Which I had never heard of. Refers to Stalin in 1932-1933, murdered through starvation 7 million Ukrainian's. Stole the food, the crops, the seeds and the tools. Mass graves etc. Makes it so much more understandable that the current war in Ukraine, is a war until the 'last man standing'. Putin is carrying on what Stalin started. Which makes the Jewish Holocaust no less horrific, but puts the media and knowledge of the holocaust front and centre, more well known due to film and media. Would Putin have attempted this war, if the world new the history more?
Not a book but a very good film on the same subject, currently available on IPlayer

You might also want to watch the pretty dark comedy film "Death of Stalin" to get an insight into the creeping hysteria of how "one" man and a few of his mates!!! can control/ruin millions of ordinary people's lives, puck Futin!

Reactions: CAB
You think you know evil. Then along comes reality,( not the Spielberg portrayal) which is way way worse. It amazes me, that so many European countries cannot see beyond tomorrows dinner. Why is it that the USA and Britain are front and centre, when the likes of super rich countries like Switzerland, Luxembourg are so self centred.
Can someone with more schooling and knowledge help me to understand the people of these countries, that think that they have the right to hide under the pillow and hope the monster will disappear. Besides Poirot,( even fiction) can you name another Belgium or famous Luxembourger. If they are there then those countries need to show us more. That they are prepared to engage and sacrifice to fight evil.
Alexander, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Napolean, Hitler wanted world domination, Krushev and Mao, as far as I know, just wanted total control of their countries. But how far would Putin go, and is there a new Putin, in the wings?
Apologies for the depth, but am short on pubs/clubs etc that are available to explore and debate. That is unless you know otherwise, in the Norwich area.

It makes you wonder why anyone would want to dominate another and why "enough" is never "enough" for these people?
Not trying to sound suicidal here but it's probably just as well we don't live forever if only so we don't have to watch history repeating itself.

You think you know evil. Then along comes reality,( not the Spielberg portrayal) which is way way worse. It amazes me, that so many European countries cannot see beyond tomorrows dinner. Why is it that the USA and Britain are front and centre, when the likes of super rich countries like Switzerland, Luxembourg are so self centred.
Can someone with more schooling and knowledge help me to understand the people of these countries, that think that they have the right to hide under the pillow and hope the monster will disappear. Besides Poirot,( even fiction) can you name another Belgium or famous Luxembourger. If they are there then those countries need to show us more. That they are prepared to engage and sacrifice to fight evil.
Alexander, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Napolean, Hitler wanted world domination, Krushev and Mao, as far as I know, just wanted total control of their countries. But how far would Putin go, and is there a new Putin, in the wings?
Apologies for the depth, but am short on pubs/clubs etc that are available to explore and debate. That is unless you know otherwise, in the Norwich area.

Expansion is the virus. Politics and religion are the causes. Isolation is the most effective avoidance technique.

You can't hide from the expansionist/school bully though.
The whole world should belong to NATO, the UN, BRICS, the EU, AUKUS etc. so that no country is excluded from any decision making process, this should see the end of any breakaway land grabs mired in literally years of feasibility studies, funding rounds and planning applications.:thumbsup:

You can't hide from the expansionist/school bully though.
The whole world should belong to NATO, the UN, BRICS, the EU, AUKUS etc. so that no country is excluded from any decision making process, this should see the end of any breakaway land grabs mired in literally years of feasibility studies, funding rounds and planning applications.:thumbsup:
That's true but it's easier to be an ostrich.

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Crime Thriller
'A big, breathless tale of nonstop suspense' The New York Times
'Simply one of the best suspense novels I've read in a long time' David Baldacci.

Killing Jericho by William Hussey. Crime Thriller.
Scott Jericho thought he'd worked his last case. Fresh out of jail, the disgraced former detective is forced to seek refuge with the fairground family he once rejected.
Then a series of bizarre murders comes to light - deaths that echo a century-old fairground legend. The police can't connect the victims. But Jericho knows how the legend goes; that more murders are certain to follow.

That looks interesting @Philgy , I will have a look for that.
One of the best I’ve listened to this year is .. The Storyteller Dave Grohl

Back