Base van - what to prioritize

middle-englander

T6 Guru
Hi all,

For the past several weeks I've been soaking up the information in this forum and other places, and drawing up a list of things that I want in a base van that I plan to convert myself (with the exception of pop top and rib).

There isn't a lot that it absolutely must have, aircon and under 150k miles on the clock being the main two. Probably a reversing cam / sensor but not essential as I'd be happy to retrofit myself. Quite happy with it being a bog standard white startline to be honest.
Nice to haves include DSG and barn door, in that order. Anything else I see as as bonus.

My budget is £16k absolute maximum (van only, including VAT) and now I've been looking for a while I'm starting to get a clear understanding of what my money will buy.

My dilemma is I can't quite decide whether to go for a higher mileage (~150k) DSG or a lower mileage (~115k) manual.
I know that people generally say don't worry about the mileage, but I feel like 150k is definitely getting on, and with the high potential repair cost of the DSG I think I run a higher risk of having to dig deep to address any issues that may arise.

If it helps the usage of the van will be 90% long weekends away, UK holidays, and perhaps the odd school run if I'm being really lazy.
I work from home so no commute.

Any guidance or words of wisdom greatly received!

Hi all,

For the past several weeks I've been soaking up the information in this forum and other places, and drawing up a list of things that I want in a base van that I plan to convert myself (with the exception of pop top and rib).

There isn't a lot that it absolutely must have, aircon and under 150k miles on the clock being the main two. Probably a reversing cam / sensor but not essential as I'd be happy to retrofit myself. Quite happy with it being a bog standard white startline to be honest.
Nice to haves include DSG and barn door, in that order. Anything else I see as as bonus.

My budget is £16k absolute maximum (van only, including VAT) and now I've been looking for a while I'm starting to get a clear understanding of what my money will buy.

My dilemma is I can't quite decide whether to go for a higher mileage (~150k) DSG or a lower mileage (~115k) manual.
I know that people generally say don't worry about the mileage, but I feel like 150k is definitely getting on, and with the high potential repair cost of the DSG I think I run a higher risk of having to dig deep to address any issues that may arise.

If it helps the usage of the van will be 90% long weekends away, UK holidays, and perhaps the odd school run if I'm being really lazy.
I work from home so no commute.

Any guidance or words of wisdom greatly received!

The only thing I'd add as a "must have" is a full service history.
At your price limit you may well find that you see some vans with patchy or non existent service history, I'd leave them well alone as it's likely they've been neglected.
Just my opinion, good luck in your search.

The only thing I'd add as a "must have" is a full service history.
At your price limit you may well find that you see some vans with patchy or non existent service history, I'd leave them well alone as it's likely they've been neglected.
Just my opinion, good luck in your search.

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have mentioned I'm looking for some service history though admittedly didn't think it would be a big deal if not complete.

What would the implication be if it had missed a service but had the next one, apart from a general sign off neglect? Genuinely interested since I know nothing about mechanics.

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have mentioned I'm looking for some service history though admittedly didn't think it would be a big deal if not complete.

What would the implication be if it had missed a service but had the next one, apart from a general sign off neglect? Genuinely interested since I know nothing about mechanics.

It's not easy to give a definitive answer, but ultimately a van with a full service history, each service carried out at the appropriate mileage, is more likely to go on to give you trouble free use into high mileage than one that hasn't.
It's all about giving yourself the best chance of buying a van that won't go bang six months later.

Missing a single service probably doesn't have serious mechanical implications, other than it's indicative of the owner's attitude toward the maintenance of their van.

If it’s been serviced by VW then it’s all computerised. I was in exactly your situation, and could determine from the computerised records that the VW service person accessed over the phone when I booked the first service in my ownership, that the cambelt had been changed according to schedule etc. Incredibly valuable if buying a second life vehicle.

The business pack is a good upgrade to look out for on Startlines. AC, fog lights, heated mirrors, captain seat, from memory.

If it's over 100k with no service history at all, factor in a big bill as a new cambelt will be on the cards in the not too distant future.
Certain options are quite difficult to retrofit and selling the van to buy what you want can actually be cheaper.
I don't know the exact list but things like air-con (as you've mentioned) DSG/manual, 5/6 speed are certainly a lot of effort to change in the future.
My personal list of must haves were air-con, heated screen, tailgate, captain seats, Kombi, LWB, 6 speed. I wasn't fussed with the power output at the time but any less than the 140 that I ended up with would have been annoying. Being Euro 5 (non Adblue) has been a blessing so far but these are obviously older vans now and if you do need to drive into emission zones it wouldn't be so good!
In hindsight, the Kombi wasn't a necessity. I have two children and we regularly go out on family adventures etc. However, a decent panel van with aftermarket windows and a decent sliding rock'n'roll style bed/seats would probably be as useful for what I use the van for without being much different in overall cost.

Thanks for the replies so far everybody, all valuable info.
Are there any big fleets other than AA or RAC to look at? I see quite a few of those but I'm yet to talk the Mrs into those colours, though I rather fancy orange myself!

Mine came from a dealer who got it from auction - original owner was British Gas. It’s fairly easy to work out the previous owner as there are clues all over - rear fit-out, electrics, traces of vehicle wrap. Look for top-end rear fit-outs such at Bott, which the corporate giants use.

Someone who knows more about auctions might be able to give you a steer.

Thanks for the replies so far everybody, all valuable info.
Are there any big fleets other than AA or RAC to look at? I see quite a few of those but I'm yet to talk the Mrs into those colours, though I rather fancy orange myself!
Sky are VW fleet owners.
To be brutally honest, with your budget, I think it’s going to be more a case of what’s available rather than the luxury of picking & choosing. Your choices will be pretty limited at that price point. You’ll be looking at ex-fleet/work vans where the original spec will have been to a budget.

Back