What’s this noise?

stupot

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all

Would really appreciate folks having a listen to the whirring/whistling noise in this video. First time I’ve tried sharing a video so hopefully it works.

Seems to be happening when I am stationary but in drive with foot on the brake and it stops shortly after I put it in park. Has had a new DMF a few months ago.

Thanks
Stu

Nice.

But muted.

Do another video clip from outside the van, with the bonnet open etc..or from wherever the sound is coming from.

Will do. It’s intermittent so fingers crossed I can get the darn thing to do it!!

What does it do if: Your stationary in D, knock it out of D into N and then back into D? Does it still make the noise once put back to Drive?

What does it do if: Your stationary in D, knock it out of D into N and then back into D? Does it still make the noise once put back to Drive?
Gave this a try… knocking it into N stops the noise but once back in D it doesn’t start again

Stu I think i posted on your other thread but mine also sounds exactly like that on the odd occasion it happens. I think it's a regen, have you got carista ? You could monitor distance since last regen and also soot levels to try to pin point if it's at the same time this is occurring. In that video had you just come back from a reasonable journey?

Stu I think i posted on your other thread but mine also sounds exactly like that on the odd occasion it happens. I think it's a regen, have you got carista ? You could monitor distance since last regen and also soot levels to try to pin point if it's at the same time this is occurring. In that video had you just come back from a reasonable journey?
I have got Carista, I’ll take a look and see. Unfortunately I’m doing quite a few short journeys at the moment (just a few miles locally). In that video I’d just done 2 miles, half hour stop, 2 miles, 10 min stop then a mile. Fan was then running when I turned the engine off. It’ll be good to know if it is a regen, put my mind at ease. Thanks for the pointers

I have got Carista, I’ll take a look and see. Unfortunately I’m doing quite a few short journeys at the moment (just a few miles locally). In that video I’d just done 2 miles, half hour stop, 2 miles, 10 min stop then a mile. Fan was then running when I turned the engine off. It’ll be good to know if it is a regen, put my mind at ease. Thanks for the pointers
It'll be a regen. Mine does the same when I use my van to commute 7 miles. Does it at work and then at home. Short journeys do it and running on low fuel

Reversed into my driveway today and lo and behold van is whistling away (always seems to be worse reversing)! Fired up carista and sure enough soot levels were falling so van was doing a regen, took it for a drive until regen was finished and whistling gone :).

Reassuring to hear! After a longer run today mine was quiet as a mouse but I do need to plug the Carista in and do the same check

Most vehicles can initiate regen cycles when driving 10-15 mins above 40mph… if you have ever got out after parking to hear the fan still whirring away… it was prob a regen cycle that didn’t finish

So… doesn’t seem to be a regen. Plugged in Carista and when the noise was there it said last regen was 140km ago

So… doesn’t seem to be a regen. Plugged in Carista and when the noise was there it said last regen was 140km ago
I think carista would only report a completed regen, so If your van was doing a regen / whistling and you killed the engine it wouldn't show in carista. I think you really need to catch it in the act

As far as I’m aware a re-gen’ increases the RPM at tickover.

I think carista would only report a completed regen, so If your van was doing a regen / whistling and you killed the engine it wouldn't show in carista. I think you really need to catch it in the act
Sorry misread your post! Did you check soot levels to see if they were dropping when it was making the noise ? As DXX says increase revs and stink of diesel are the other tell tale signs!

It sounds cyclic to me, possibly matching the auxiliary belt rotation. Unless it gets worse I wouldn’t be too concerned.
You could do a visual check of the aux’ belt for fraying and alignment if you are concerned.
Note; the belt would not be affected by the DSG selection.

Thanks DXX agree it’s sounds cyclic. It had a new aux belt and tensioner a few months ago so hopefully not that and like you say that wouldn’t link to the gearbox. I’m not really worried as no detrimental effects other than annoying me!

Back