Wanted Westfalia detachable tow ball

Assume you already have the rest of the bar & receiver bolted to the back of the van? So it's just the removable bit you need?

Afraid I can't help with supplying one, but can get the part number from mine if that helps - they're cast into the side on most westfalia bars so it can help with identifying if an eBay listing is the right one. Let me know if this would help and I'll take a look.

Might be worth a few of us posting this info in case there is more than one type.
Will find out what is stamped on ours.

Pete

The number on mine is: 321546601009 followed by AH 8/19 which I suspect is the manufacturing date.
After market fitment around mid 2020.

Pete

Ah, mines different - it's a VW factory fit, but still has westfalia written all over it and looks the same as Paynewright's, but the numbers are:

321 647 (this is the format of most of the westfalia tow bar part numbers I think) and;

7e0.803.882 (which looks suspiciously like a VW part number if you get rid of the full stops).

PXL_20230111_195246694.jpg

PXL_20230111_195310260.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Thanks all for taking the time to help much appreciated
321 647 is the number on the tow bar id plate I presume it was a factory fit .

Does anyone know if any other shapes of removable towball would fit the T6 Westfalia tow bar? Is the receptacle the same on all Westfalia tow bars? My T6 has the tow bar installed but missing the removable towball.
I presume the shape of the towball is critical to ensure the trailer tow hitch doesn't clash with the tailgate, but could I get a Westfalia towball of a different design to those shown above?

I suspect that's a yes BUT when I asked Westfalia the same question a couple of years ago, they simply advised against it as they're not tested on a 'mix and match' basis. At the time, I was looking for a longer or maybe lower towball to allow me to open the tailgate with a bike rack fitted. In the end, I modified the rack.

There are several designs for the receptacle on the vehicle and the bit that goes in it. They are visually quite different if you look for various listings on eBay so you can normally tell the difference.

If you find one that fits and misses the bumper & tailgate it is likely to be fine, however it won't be approved for use on this vehicle so you could end up on a bit of a sticky insurance situation in the event of a failure. (Noseweight ratings, distance from mountings and therefore exerted load etc. will all vary I would have thought).

That said on my previous car I used the correct one for towing duties and one from a different vehicle (different shape entirely, but with same vehicle end fitment) for a bike rack.

If you're towing I'd get the right one.

Many thanks Stan and Ayjay. I'm looking out for one on ebay, but it's not always clear what the stampings or part numbers are.
Looks like we have the following part numbers in use by various members in this thread:
321 546 ...
321 647
321 534
...so I presume that any item that matches this shape is okay.

Hope this helps others too.

Just to add another one to the mix...mine comes with a funny story...when I bought the van I didn't get the tow ball with it (i cant recall exactly, but the seller wanted to keep it) a year or so later, I had need for the bar so contacted him to ask if he would let me have the PN so I knew what I was trying to find. He said he didn't need it any more so i bunged him £50 for his trouble and to courier it to me and here it is!

16992765190198342790436896047212.jpg

I have received my "Passat" removable towball today (see below) based on the fact that the six-digit code matched the one from @Wilder86 above, and it fits perfectly.

20231109_173002.jpg

PS. This post now has some great info, but is still listed as a Wanted Ad. Could the OP @Murof6T change the title if the part has now been sourced? Or can an admin repost this thread? @Pauly ?

Assume all the westfalia male and female receptacles are the same? If so I’m looking for a version which the ball is as far away from the bumper as possible. Need tailgate clearance for a trailer

Yeah, I haven't verified that they are all the same, but as per some previous post (on here?) not all the various combinations of bar and towball are crash tested together, so could be awkward in an insurance claim.
Have you tried the standard part and found it is a problem?

The standard one give a small amount of clearance on this hitch, which has probably got an oversized handle TBH.
20231109_193155.jpg

Excuse the dirty hitch!

Back