WestDubs Poptop

Hello!

Has anyone had any experience with the Westdubs poptop? I'm considering getting one installed but keen to hear if anyone else has any positive / negative feedback. Any photos would also be cool if you have one fitted!

Thanks all

Hi
Anybody had a West Dubs roof fitted please? My fitter has this type of roof on offer, but I really wanted the HiLo as I like the way they sit nice and low on the van. He does fit them, but it’s approx £6k!! I’m a complete newbie to this

Having a westdubs pop fitted.
Can anyone tell me if the they remove the roof prep or keep it on? I messaged Stew but nothing and a phone call was helpful so need to reach out to owners of a westdubs pop.

Basically I would like to fit a fiamma awning and I already have a set of brand new t6 specific mounts that bolt into the roof prep.
I noticed they put the hinges into the channel but unsure if they can do it with roof prep.

I think I’m going to go with the WestDubs pop-top.
It’s not quote as low profile as the more expensive versions, but looks and feels solid.

Anyone with experience of these?
Any reason I shouldn’t go with one?

Cheers all
Ollie.

I had mine done yesturday. 6hr round trip and tank of fuel plus day off.
I was absolutely over the moon, guys were spot on BUT and this is probably one of the lads getting their words mixed up but we were shown and told to keep the straps done up all the time and were demoed with the straps done up and the bed up/down etc but on getting home and having a go on the driveway we noticed small rips/holes where the straps were. Turns out after I emailed your not supposed to keep the straps on. Both me and the Mrs heard what we were told and saw what we were shown so a little gutting it was the wrong info.
Now do not get me wrong the guys at Westdubs have said they will replace the canvas so fairplay to them but its now a day off and tank of fuel to go get it changed so happy but not.

With that above in mind so you can look out for it and apart from that, the top is just... WOW. very well made, quiet and effortless to use. Worth going for but on collecting make sure you check all the strap points and there is no holes. Happy to message you pictures, I wont go into putting them on an open forum.

Bullracing, Are you taking about the elasticated straps 'inside' the roof? By that I mean those designed to pull the sides in when you pull the roof down. If that's the case, I've never actually undone them on our Westdubs roof when it goes up but had better start doing so!

Ollie, I haven't owned any other makes of pop top roof to compare it to but I'm very impressed with our Westdubs roof so far and I'd recommend them. I also agree with your comments on solidity. FWIW we've got the scenic version and it's really nice to be able to fully open it when the weather permits.

Yes Ayjay
Thats correct. According to the email I got They should only be used when putting the top down so might be worth starting to.

Apart from that though its an amazing bit of kit. My first pop top though so cannot compare however its certainly up there with the top guys for a lower price. It may not be as slim line but if you make it part of the colour coding your be amazed how well it blends in.

Bullracing - In that case, thanks for the very great tip. I'll start unclipping them and must remember to check if anything has happened the next time it goes up (probably well into next year the way the weather is looking at the moment!!!). Again, thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys. It’s such a major part of the van and I’m starting to question myself.

My van is silver and I will have the roof colour coded. Is there a black seal strip running around the outside of the top where is sits on the roof?

I believe the straps are for folding to keep the canvas from getting trapped in the hinges at the back?

Ollie - Yes, there is a black strip seal around the roof and mine also has a black 'spoiler' before the front edge (but I'm not sure if that's standard or not as I bought my van ready converted). Zoom in on the first picture and you can just make it out (but I can take some close ups if you want). Also, you're correct in that the elasticated straps are there to stop the roof canvas (or whatever the material is) from being cut by the scissor action of the hinges.
001.jpg 003.jpg

I think I’m going to go with the WestDubs pop-top.
It’s not quote as low profile as the more expensive versions, but looks and feels solid.

Anyone with experience of these?
Any reason I shouldn’t go with one?

Cheers all
Ollie.
Ollie - Yes, there is a black strip seal around the roof and mine also has a black 'spoiler' before the front edge (but I'm not sure if that's standard or not as I bought my van ready converted). Zoom in on the first picture and you can just make it out (but I can take some close ups if you want). Also, you're correct in that the elasticated straps are there to stop the roof canvas (or whatever the material is) from being cut by the scissor action of the hinges.
View attachment 54104 View attachment 54105
I have the Panoramic/scenic roof on ours and was fitted by our local fitter who is a WestDubs agent in Kent. It is fantastic with the extra light the front gives and had no issues with the straps, but I do remove both when the roof is up. Hope you get what you need and they a bang on for the money. IMG_20190519_162341~2.jpg

I have the Panoramic/scenic roof on ours and was fitted by our local fitter who is a WestDubs agent in Kent. It is fantastic with the extra light the front gives and had no issues with the straps, but I do remove both when the roof is up. Hope you get what you need and they a bang on for the money. View attachment 54111
That looks amazing, it looks like a guard tower. Would be great to use for sitting up viewing stuff in bad weather (though the wrong way round for me)

Gents - really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and photos.
I have some thinking to do.

Hi @OllieGBR

Did you go with the Westdubs pop top in the end? - we are thinking of having a Westdubs fitted too and are keen to get feedback.
I did indeed, although have nothing to compare it with.
It was installed by a local chap in Corby who’s an authorised fitter.

Turned around in a week, the canvas looks great in grey and has the scenic option. Inside there are punch outs for LED lights, of which I asked for 4 to be wired up. I’ve also have an NDS flex 180W solar panel added to the roof. The cable is under the panel so no ugly wiring or boxes on the roof. Also added flexible LED reading lights with 2 USB sockets and strip lighting routed under the bed.
The bed has yet too be fitted at my request as I’m still in the process of the conversion and it will only get in the way. Plus my wife rather likes the Union Jack that Three Bridges have on their bed, (ceiling) so I’ve got to investigate that at some point.

The roof itself is sturdy and opens up easily enough. The only thing I don’t like but knew about was the straps for securing the roof down. I’m sure there’s a better method kicking around.
You can opt for stealthier options, but this allows you to keep all the bedding in the roof and it also looks like more like a motor caravan from the outside:sneaky: for when I eventually apply to DVLA.

All in all I think it’s the right balance between looks and costs.

I can take some pictures if that would help? Please remember that it’s not finished though:)

Back