C&H Campers / C&H Pop Tops of Huddersfield

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
Anyone used these guys to fit-out their VW or install a Pop Top?

Wanted to find out if anyone has used them for any work and their feedback/comments etc. Any help/feedback PLEASE would me appreciated.

FYI mine is a LWB Shuttle & they are quoting £2150 for a straight forward Pop Top installed. LINKS BELOW:

https://candhcampers.co.uk/ or for the POP TOP only: Pop Top Roofs Yorkshire, Huddersfield | Elevating Roofs

They were really good over the phone and very clear as to what is included etc. Price is important - but Quality is MORE IMPORTANT TO ME. Found some feedback which is good via Google/Fleabay which is good.

I used these guys about 2 weeks ago to fit my LWB pop top. I’m not 100% happy with the quality and if I did it again I’d use another company and probably go for a hi-lo roof.

I’m in Otley/York if you want to come and have a look

I used these guys about 2 weeks ago to fit my LWB pop top. I’m not 100% happy with the quality and if I did it again I’d use another company and probably go for a hi-lo roof.

I’m in Otley/York if you want to come and have a look

Thanks for coming back to me - Is it the quality of material or the finish? How far over the front cab does the Pop Top come? Don't suppose you could send some photos?

FYI Not too many Companies want to touch my LWB as a SHUTTLE due to the A/C, Lighting, Inulation etc., in the rear! To be honest I am looking at it for the height not too sleep in ... Thanks for coming back so quickly @C4rter cheers Paul

It comes right into the cab, I actually quite like that bit.

The quality issues arise in the ‘Bentley stitch’ fabric. It looks like it’s been put together very quickly and they’ve been careless when installing the lights.

Also, on the outside the roof trim/seal is in a wobbly line which hurts the eye a little and they’ve got sealant/glue in quite a visible place so I’m hoping I can get that off with some acetone.

They were quick and cheap but you can tell. As I say, I’d go to another company and pay a little more (if you can).

The quality issues arise in the ‘Bentley stitch’ fabric. It looks like it’s been put together very quickly and they’ve been careless when installing the lights.

Also, on the outside the roof trim/seal is in a wobbly line which hurts the eye a little and they’ve got sealant/glue in quite a visible place so I’m hoping I can get that off with some acetone.

They were quick and cheap but you can tell. As I say, I’d go to another company and pay a little more (if you can).

Thanks again @C4rter for the information. It is soo scary this pop top business - another guy on here had the worst of all experiences and spent close to £5k! I know this is a long way off but I plan to be to come up on Aug 14th late afternoon/evening and may try and come to see you in Otley if you're about?
Btw was you van fitted out when it went in for the Pop top? Mine is part fitted out so I am wondering if I should cover everything and mask off the tinted windows on inside to protect things?

Thanks again, Paul

Mine was totally stripped out. Only carpeted and windows done but I think they covered up otherwise there would have been metal filings everywhere.

I’m probably going to be in scotland then. Where are you based?

I live near Stamford, Lincs 5 miles from A1 - North of Peterborough & South of Grantham. I guess you are not heading anywhere South in the coming weeks? Happy to meet at you location if you are this way at all? Really don't want you going out of your way. Paul

Hi if your looking for a good quality install in that area then I would recommend.
James at Custom campers in Halifax for an austops roofs.
Hes done two of my Van's and hes got bags of feedback over the years on the t5 forum

I live near Stamford, Lincs 5 miles from A1 - North of Peterborough & South of Grantham. I guess you are not heading anywhere South in the coming weeks? Happy to meet at you location if you are this way at all? Really don't want you going out of your way. Paul
I’m heading to London on the 7th. Could meet you late morning if you like?

Hi if your looking for a good quality install in that area then I would recommend.
James at Custom campers in Halifax for an austops roofs.
Hes done two of my Van's and hes got bags of feedback over the years on the t5 forum
H @Timr - we are happy to travel anywhere. The pop top will only be used for Standing - NOT sleeping so was trying to keep the costs down. Going to get see one of their roofs early next month so that will help. Thanks for replying. Paul

H @Timr - we are happy to travel anywhere. The pop top will only be used for Standing - NOT sleeping so was trying to keep the costs down. Going to get see one of their roofs early next month so that will help. Thanks for replying. Paul
The use is largely irrelevant. If it’s a poor job, it could, leak,rattle,not open/close properly, cause the van to flex, be noisy (wind) or any combination of the above. It could quite easily ruin your van. That’s not to say a £5k roof would automatically be better. Any roof is only as good as the guy who fits it, but if it’s crap to start with........

If you are only going to be using it to stand I'd have a side elevating roof then occupants have the same roof height along the length of the van, they are rare and I can't for the moment remember which company does them but one of the older conversion companies do, we saw them at the Birmingham show and were impressed...

If you are only going to be using it to stand I'd have a side elevating roof then occupants have the same roof height along the length of the van, they are rare and I can't for the moment remember which company does them but one of the older conversion companies do, we saw them at the Birmingham show and were impressed...
I think Bilbo do them

thank you I like your thinking ... seem to recall they were really expensive... just to clarify we can only stand in the main kitchen /lounge area ... as the back row of seats restrict access in to this area. Paul

wow that is impressive. Many thanks for the photo and reference. If that is your awning please could you tell me the make etc, Cheers Paul

Outdoor revolution handi xl
Nice bit of kit but doesnt have a sewn in awning, we’ve fitted one

2A550D06-480E-40FA-88DB-1AF1DF6D5771.png

Hi, this is my first post, so i apologise in advanced for not introducing myself etc. I have a 5.1 so only flick through the build threads on here, as the the t5 forum seems to lack any decent ones recently.

Id like to just give my experience with the C&H pop tops, as i have recently had one fitted to my van and when i was looking, i couldn't find any reviews anywhere on their pop tops, so i hope this helps you in making your decision.

I travelled all the way up to Huddersfield from the isle of wight, they fitted it within the day on a Saturday, which was a massive bonus for me, as i cannot be without my van. They lent me their caddy van for the day, free of charge.

From start to finish was first class and i cannot express enough how professional they were with dealing with all my questions etc prior to booking it in and nothing was to much bother for them to answer over a text message.

The quality of the pop top is good and i think it is a copy of the skyline roof from comparing against my friends. The canvas is not fully waterproof, but i believe this is normal, as they are meant to let the water in to then let the material air when drying. When i say lets water in, i dont mean you see puddles of water etc. It has 2 breathable windows on the side and one big clear window at the front. The canvas also has an enclosed elasticated strap at the back, to prevent it getting caught in the rear hinges when lowering, i have not seen this on the roofs that i looked at from the bigger pop top companies. The silicone around the edge of the canvas is neat and tidy, this was a big thing for me, as i have seen this left in an horrendous state on some. The rubber seal on the outside, at first is abit wobbly looking, but i have managed to sort mine out, seems as if it just needed knocking on abit more. They fitted my supplied roof bars, again free of charge.

The roof bed is a good design and seems to be constructed in a similar way to a stud wall, this was perfect for me, as this meant i was able to mount my flip down tv and run the wires all inside without being seen. I went for carpet all over and no logo, so i cant comment on the diamond stitch material. They fitted 6 leds down the side, which are all good.

They use a fibreglass bed trim around the edges which is bolted and screwed into the strengthening frame, i think this is quite a good design, as it allows the bed to sit abit lower, so it still allows enough room for me to permanently keep the bed mattress up the top when the roof is down. The roof is easy to put up and down, even when i have my roof box fitted. The locking straps are nice and strong.

I have recently put it through its elements last week down in cornwall for a weeks camping trip and it dealt with the 60-70mph winds that we had perfectly fine. My son and I slept up perfectly fine and i am 6'1. This probably wont bother you, if you only want it for standing up in. The bed is easily removable but also goes up out the way when not in use and i can still stand up in there fully when it is up.

The only downside that i can think of and its more to do with the fitting process and not the product itself, is that the dash light for the rear door was staying on constantly, so it would think the door was open all the time, they quickly sorted this out before i left and it turned out that one of the screws had nicked the wire, so was it constantly grounded.

All in all, for the price, i am over the moon with the quality and the company as a whole. They also had a decent 4 page spread in last months VWT or VW BUS mag (cant remember which one).If you would like to know anything else, then please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post, so i apologise in advanced for not introducing myself etc. I have a 5.1 so only flick through the build threads on here, as the the t5 forum seems to lack any decent ones recently.

Id like to just give my experience with the C&H pop tops, as i have recently had one fitted to my van and when i was looking, i couldn't find any reviews anywhere on their pop tops, so i hope this helps you in making your decision.

I travelled all the way up to Huddersfield from the isle of wight, they fitted it within the day on a Saturday, which was a massive bonus for me, as i cannot be without my van. They lent me their caddy van for the day, free of charge.

From start to finish was first class and i cannot express enough how professional they were with dealing with all my questions etc prior to booking it in and nothing was to much bother for them to answer over a text message.

The quality of the pop top is good and i think it is a copy of the skyline roof from comparing against my friends. The canvas is not fully waterproof, but i believe this is normal, as they are meant to let the water in to then let the material air when drying. When i say lets water in, i dont mean you see puddles of water etc. It has 2 breathable windows on the side and one big clear window at the front. The canvas also has an enclosed elasticated strap at the back, to prevent it getting caught in the rear hinges when lowering, i have not seen this on the roofs that i looked at from the bigger pop top companies. The silicone around the edge of the canvas is neat and tidy, this was a big thing for me, as i have seen this left in an horrendous state on some. The rubber seal on the outside, at first is abit wobbly looking, but i have managed to sort mine out, seems as if it just needed knocking on abit more. They fitted my supplied roof bars, again free of charge.

The roof bed is a good design and seems to be constructed in a similar way to a stud wall, this was perfect for me, as this meant i was able to mount my flip down tv and run the wires all inside without being seen. I went for carpet all over and no logo, so i cant comment on the diamond stitch material. They fitted 6 leds down the side, which are all good.

They use a fibreglass bed trim around the edges which is bolted and screwed into the strengthening frame, i think this is quite a good design, as it allows the bed to sit abit lower, so it still allows enough room for me to permanently keep the bed mattress up the top when the roof is down. The roof is easy to put up and down, even when i have my roof box fitted. The locking straps are nice and strong.

I have recently put it through its elements last week down in cornwall for a weeks camping trip and it dealt with the 60-70mph winds that we had perfectly fine. My son and I slept up perfectly fine and i am 6'1. This probably wont bother you, if you only want it for standing up in. The bed is easily removable but also goes up out the way when not in use and i can still stand up in there fully when it is up.

The only downside that i can think of and its more to do with the fitting process and not the product itself, is that the dash light for the rear door was staying on constantly, so it would think the door was open all the time, they quickly sorted this out before i left and it turned out that one of the screws had nicked the wire, so was it constantly grounded.

All in all, for the price, i am over the moon with the quality and the company as a whole. They also had a decent 4 page spread in last months VWT or VW BUS mag (cant remember which one).If you would like to know anything else, then please let me know.
Apologies and THANK YOU DO MUCH

Really appreciate the time you have taken to provide a comprehensive report on their workmanship and the quality. It makes me feel a whole lot better ... as we all love our Veedubs and when you handover for such a big peace of work it is scary!!!
Thanks once again @rydinator and apologies for not replying sooner. Good luck and welcome. PAUL.

Back