Webasto AirTop 2000 - hole in passenger step too

Deeps

Hi Guys, just got a T6 camper 150 DSG……delighted with it so far.
It has a Webasto diesel heater fitted. I understand the heater air intake is through a circular vent in the driver’s side door step and the heater outlet is obvious behind the driver seat, but what is the purpose of the circular vent in the passenger side doorstep? I went through a deep puddle recently and my passenger got splashed. Can I blank it off?

Maybe it was for fresh air? Perhaps you can make a blanking cover for it?

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on this Forum about a step grill being VW OEM equipment for a heater, have a search.
It could be functioning as a gas drop out vent or just there for general ventilation.
Why not just fit a 90 degree elbow under the body with the opening facing the rear, that should avoid all but serious floodwater entering.
This sort of thing as a general idea:

Thanks guys. Just crawled underneath (not easy at my age!) and the vent leads into a large plastic box structure so I can’t re-direct it and the gas bottle cupboard already has drop holes. Forgot to say it’s a Bilbo NEXA and their guy said he thought it was part of VW build. I can feel cold air coming in so it won’t be good in winter

I reckon that someone made the hole by mistake expecting to be able to use it for the heater then found that it was the wrong side. If the hole is 60mm or 90mm that is what could have happened. 60mm closeable vents are available which will match the driver's side if that is what you have there and you can seal it off behind the vent flaps.
If your heater is mounted underneath you don't want to be going swimming in your van anyway.

I reckon that someone made the hole by mistake expecting to be able to use it for the heater then found that it was the wrong side. I
If that was the case, then what is the box for?
Maybe it contains a fan for fresh air and cooling in the summer?

I wouldn't have thought that water would have been able to enter if there was a box the other side. Picture needed to have much more of an idea what it is.

Is the box structure additional or just the usual black plastic undertray? Is there ducting of any sort leading to the vent or is it just a hole in your step with a vent? As oldie suggests, it sounds like an error. Bond/spot weld a plate over it?

Edit - just noticed how old this thread is. Any update?

Thanks for your input Boxelder. I’ve had trouble investigating further as I developed shoulder problems which prevent me crawling underneath ( I’m battling with the big C). I intend to have the garage put her up on the ramp to get a closer look. Yes, there seems to be some additional boxing but I’m uncertain. I asked the supplier (Bilbos) and they said it was not associated with the Webasto heater, suggesting it was additional ventilation. I’m going to get a temporary patch stuck over them and flash up the heater this week so I know it will work safely in time for the winter weather. Photos show the plastic dislodged by me driving through water which was deeper than I though. I’ll report back when I have more info. Thanks for responding.

7FB9ACFD-3E4E-4B16-B2FD-6156E0D41080.jpeg

F05887B4-A52F-44B7-B664-E96006795DA0.jpeg

A2E7B7A1-E3DC-4AEF-8DA0-0BFC5FB258D7.jpeg

1545ED96-D869-460E-8F7D-EBCD136633DD.jpeg

63790732-74F3-43DA-B2A2-600717228DE2.jpeg

0E86084E-BF38-4A4F-90F0-F4B54CB40B4F.jpeg

Is the box structure additional or just the usual black plastic undertray? Is there ducting of any sort leading to the vent or is it just a hole in your step with a vent? As oldie suggests, it sounds like an error. Bond/spot weld a plate over it?

Edit - just noticed how old this thread is. Any update?
In my reply, pictures 4 and 5 are before replacing dislodged cover and 1,2 and 3 are before. The circular vent shown in passenger step is also on driver’s side

Certainly looks like ventilation. I'd be leaving it and avoiding puddles I think. If camping in cooler weather, I'd just tape over the vent internally. The plastic under trays become brittle with age and hitting standing water is apparently the number one method for ripping them off/smashing them - as I found the hard way.

Certainly looks like ventilation. I'd be leaving it and avoiding puddles I think. If camping in cooler weather, I'd just tape over the vent internally. The plastic under trays become brittle with age and hitting standing water is apparently the number one method for ripping them off/smashing them - as I found the hard way.
Thanks again for your thoughts. My heater draws air in at the front of the driver’s seat and blows it out at the back - recycling internal air. Someone suggested the holes in driver’s and passengers steps were for make-up air ….whatever that is. I’ll post the solution if snd when I get it.

Thanks again for your thoughts. My heater draws air in at the front of the driver’s seat and blows it out at the back - recycling internal air. Someone suggested the holes in driver’s and passengers steps were for make-up air ….whatever that is. I’ll post the solution if snd when I get it.
I have owned several conversions by Bilbo’s and they have always fitted the heater under the drivers seat (as you say above) but they have never fitted any ‘vents’ as you have found. Did you buy direct from Bilbo’s just thinking a previous owner might have fitted?

Yes, I bought direct from them. Very good company IMO. Aftersales has been first class with the few problems I’ve had. The only downside is their location (Godstone) vs mine which is Bristol.
Their engineers recently advised they did not fit the vents and they were not part of the Webasto fit. I’m the second owner…..and the light bulb has just come on….maybe I can get hold of the original owner……not been thinking straight with this damn disease !
Thanks

Yes, I bought direct from them. Very good company IMO. Aftersales has been first class with the few problems I’ve had. The only downside is their location (Godstone) vs mine which is Bristol.
Their engineers recently advised they did not fit the vents and they were not part of the Webasto fit. I’m the second owner…..and the light bulb has just come on….maybe I can get hold of the original owner……not been thinking straight with this damn disease !
Thanks
Well we have three things in common, I’m a recovered big C, I live in Gloucester and we both own a Bilbo’s!
my guess is the previous owner fitted the vents but we have found using external screens and slightly unzipping the roof vents solved our condensation issue which I guess is why they fitted them.

Thanks Nigel, I recently bought some internal screens; a bit of a faff but they seem to work well enough although I’ve not used them in cold weather yet. A soon as my next round of appointments/scans/treatment is out of the way I’ll be out using the van to the max. Which van did you buy? Mine’s a NEXA, SWB, Rising roof, DSG Auto with two sliding doors.

Well done beating the C

Thanks Nigel, I recently bought some internal screens; a bit of a faff but they seem to work well enough although I’ve not used them in cold weather yet. A soon as my next round of appointments/scans/treatment is out of the way I’ll be out using the van to the max. Which van did you buy? Mine’s a NEXA, SWB, Rising roof, DSG Auto with two sliding doors.
Well done beating the C

We are on our second one now, Celex, LWB, DSG., previously had the SWB and really appreciate the extra space the new one gives us. We abandoned the internal screens for external one which are great especially in the heat (if you can remember those long hot summers?).
stay positive with the C it is beatable!

Back