Webasto Air Top 2000 Stc Vw External Mount Air Heater Diesel

elduderino

T6 Pro
Hi
Did a forums search, but couldn’t find any refs to my question , so please move my post to the correct place if wrong.

I am having a
Webasto Air Top 2000 STC VW External Mount Air Heater Diesel
installed in a SWB T6 camper conversion.
As it’s a diesel it needs to be under slung.
Has anyone had this installed?
What is the largest capacity underslung water container that could be installed as well?
Regards

Hi
I may have the incorrect info for my first post. i will re-post as soon as i have more info.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Hi, I think you will find you were right the first time in that it is usual to have the Air top 2000 installed and this can be fitted either internally or externally. Mine is internal under the drivers seat.

Hi Nigel W
Many thanks for the reply, & info.
Have you got an underslung water tank, & if so what size?

regards

Hi Nigel W
Many thanks for the reply, & info.
Have you got an underslung water tank, & if so what size?

regards
My camper has an underslung waste tank but the freshwater tank sits above and wraps around the rear wheel arch on the drivers side. It has a 36 litre capacity and the waste 35 litres. It was a professional conversation and purchased as a complete package so I can’t help with who made the tanks - sorry.

Hi
Did a forums search, but couldn’t find any refs to my question , so please move my post to the correct place if wrong.

I am having a
Webasto Air Top 2000 STC VW External Mount Air Heater Diesel
installed in a SWB T6 camper conversion.
As it’s a diesel it needs to be under slung.
Regards
No reason to install externally just because it is a Diesel! Both the petrol and diesel models can be installed internally or externally.

See attached plus Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

Attachments

• Webasto_Airtop_2000STC_Installation_manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Webasto_Airtop_2000STC_Workshop_manual.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi oldiebut goodie

It is the Combi water, & air heater that is being installed. Apologies to all for the omission.
Can that be installed internally @ externally?

If you mean a coolant heater not an air heater they are usually mounted externally as they are connected to the vehicle's engine coolant system. The STC is a 2Kw air heater. They are 2 completely different beasts! The coolant heaters are 7.5 - 9Kw heaters - not something that is generally required in the UK as they are more for colder winters than what we generally have. Their main purpose is to get the engine up to operating temperature quickly with an element of cab warming. They use more fuel and battery power so are usually programmed for a maximum of 1/2 to 1 hour operation.

Sorry, not making my self clear.
I need heating for the habitation area of a T6 camper conversion, & i want to have running hot water coming out of the hot water tap. all of this out of one Webasto heating unit(diesel powered).
i am also trying to find out what is the maximum water tank capacity that can be under slung, bearing in mind that the webasto heating unit will be underslung as well.

Sorry, not making my self clear.
I need heating for the habitation area of a T6 camper conversion, & i want to have running hot water coming out of the hot water tap. all of this out of one Webasto heating unit(diesel powered).
i am also trying to find out what is the maximum water tank capacity that can be under slung, bearing in mind that the webasto heating unit will be underslung as well.
Now I’m not an expert and I do understand what you are saying but I think you may be expecting too much for a SWB camper van. The unit you are thinking about is really for a large motor home which lives most of its life on a mains electrical hook up and with a huge water tank. Realistically in a Campervan you just need a heat supply (which doesn’t need mains power) and enough onboard water to wash a few dishes/ brush your teeth and fill a kettle. Sorry if I sound negative and others may come along with more positive suggestions.

The only Webasto unit that would do that is the Dual Top Evo - prices are around £2500 + fitting. Can be mounted internally or externally.

You will have considerable battery drain with this unit also.

Last edited:
I have a shower and hot water tank in mine, but it's an electric water heater, separate from the diesel Eber

I have an underslung Webasto Air Top Evo 40 air heater with an internal Whale gas water heater for the shower/hot water. I am LWB though which just gives enough room for the shower room and toilet. Still very tight on space though. Being able to carry enough water in tanks is a problem though.

I have an underslung Webasto Air Top Evo 40 air heater with an internal Whale gas water heater for the shower/hot water. I am LWB though which just gives enough room for the shower room and toilet. Still very tight on space though. Being able to carry enough water in tanks is a problem though.
Mines a SWB and has both ;) It's tight but workable thanks to Westfalia packaging genius

I've got the underslung websato and my underslung water tank holds 23L.

My underslung tank is 12 gallons! Way too big. Im thinking I have a lot of space for other stuff under there... Or a shower of the back dooro_O

If your van has a Euro5 engine, your exhaust should allow for a 30L water tank to fit down the centre of the chassis, similar to this:

A29DF118-76A0-481D-938C-3E065F3F5D73.jpeg

Or fit this 14L C.A.K. tank in the redundant space between your rear wheels (assuming yours isn’t a 4Motion):

T5%20waste%20tank%20installed%20500px.jpg

Or (and I think these only work on single-sliding door vans) you could install one of the C.A.K. 12L cill tanks along the offside:

T5%20pair%2048ltr-cak-tanks.jpg

(This picture shows two tanks joined up to make two. The tank at the bottom of this picture is where your heater would sit, so you’d just buy the one tank - the one at the top).

None of these will prohibit you from installing a Webasto - there’s space under both the drivers seat (where the Eberspacher sits) and the passenger seat (where your Webasto would sit) available.

Back