We Connect T6.1 MY21

GrahamB

Hi all
Over on the California forum, those of us with T6.1 MY 21 Calis are puzzled that We Connect does not have some functionality we would like, specifically remote lock and unlock. The app tells you the lock status (sometimes unreliably) but doesn’t give an option to lock/unlock. Some users would also like the feature to switch on the parking heater. A recent response to a member from VWCS has said: “Please know that your Volkswagen Californai does not feature the necessary hardware components, in order to be compatible with the We Connect Lock & Unlock or remote Aux Heater. These hardware components have to be installed in the car during its production, as they cannot be retrofitted after the car has been delivered.” This apparently applies only to MY21 Calis. Can anyone advise please - does the T6.1 MY21 Transporter have the same issue and is there a workaround - either software or hardware or both? Thanks!

I am getting a MY21 panel van camper conversion middle of next month and I can let you know then. I am under the impression that the We Connect is dependent on which head unit the van has. My van has the standard 6.5in unit and I think it comes with We Connect preparation, what ever that means but I think it comes as standard if the van has the Discover nav unit? May be check the standard equipment for your model on the VW website. I don't know if VCDS will help you. I'm sure someone here will know.

I am getting a MY21 panel van camper conversion middle of next month and I can let you know then. I am under the impression that the We Connect is dependent on which head unit the van has. My van has the standard 6.5in unit and I think it comes with We Connect preparation, what ever that means but I think it comes as standard if the van has the Discover nav unit? May be check the standard equipment for your model on the VW website. I don't know if VCDS will help you. I'm sure someone here will know.
Hi RayF
Thanks for your reply. My van is Discovery Pro, and dies come with We Connect as standard, sorry I should have made that clear. But the issue is that although We Connect works for some things (so I can see various driving data, fuel and service info etc.) it doesn’t have the ability to remote lock and unlock or activate the parking heater. VWCS have said this is the same for all MY21 T6.1 Californias. It can be done on the MY20 T6.1 Calis and apparently will return for MY22! I am hoping to find out if this is common to all MY21 T6.1 owners on here and whether anyone has found a fix for it. VWCS say there is hardware absent which cannot be retrofitted which I find hard to believe. For example the app can send a signal to trigger the horn and turn signals to flash, so why not be able to lock/unlock? Its a mystery and if anyone can help I would be grateful!

Don’t know about the auxiliary heater, but you have to unlock the unlock /lock feature via ident process. See grab from my phone below. Not completed myself yet. If you click into the lock/ unlock at top of after open the Cecile page in app, the page it automatically opens the ident process below to fill in. Mines not a Cali btw! It’s a 6.1 70 plate high line panel van conversion, we connect came as standard. 2A0D579C-2B72-456B-912F-8C047AF9300D.png

Hi MrEds
Thanks for your response. The problem is that with the MY21 T6.1 Cali, lock/unlock doesn’t appear as an available function in the app so you cannot start the ident process!

That’s a pity! Whilst at VW last week I did ask at the desk if I could complete the process through them, but they had no idea what I was talking about, so I don’t know how much luck you would have with me suggesting to ask the dealership.

I have just subscribed to We Connect - mines I have a 2020MY Transporter (registered April 2020), and I created a Volkswagen ID account, subscribed, got the access code, entered it into the head unit, and hey presto...I was on.

Personally (just my opinion) I don't think the paid package (We Connect Plus) is worth the £70 a year over the basic free one. If your head unit isn't satnav enabled you can't take advantage of a lot of the location features and who needs to lock or unlock your van with a phone?

After spending absolutely ages trying to find out how much We Connect costs, so as to decide whether to extend the freebee bit, it ran out, so I assumed everything would be locked. So far everything still works except the ability to set off the alarm and indicators remotely. That would suggest there is no need to extend the account by paying? Does anyone know how much it costs, and whether my app should be still working 90% without subscription?
Confused.com........

I finf the VW website rubbish when it comes to subscription I still can't se where you can see the prices and subscribe... Does anyone have a link?

We Connect Plus - Update. I registered for We Connect and We Connect Plus because it is free for another year.

Also - (As I had lost my keys) I was very interested in the "Lock & Unlock" function. Sadly the "unlock" function is something that needs to be requested at the time of manufacturing and apparently cannot be fitted after the fact. (The technical guy on the phone talked about RFID versus Internet protocols)- That would have been a very useful feature! It tells me the vehicle is locked but the app cannot unlock it.

This makes the "value" of the We Connect Plus (£129) very limited.

Am I missing something?

Currently going through the expensive, painful and protracted process of getting a new key / Fob ordered from Germany.

We Connect Plus - Update. I registered for We Connect and We Connect Plus because it is free for another year.

Also - (As I had lost my keys) I was very interested in the "Lock & Unlock" function. Sadly the "unlock" function is something that needs to be requested at the time of manufacturing and apparently cannot be fitted after the fact. (The technical guy on the phone talked about RFID versus Internet protocols)- That would have been a very useful feature! It tells me the vehicle is locked but the app cannot unlock it.

Am I missing something?

Currently going through the expensive, painful and protracted process of getting a new key / Fob ordered from Germany.
I thought exactly the same, our 1st year (free) is about to finish and I'm not sure I will renew. Only benifit I have seen is when you are not sure if you have locked the van you can see. But your right the ability to then lock it would be great but like you mine doesn't have that feature.
I'm struggling to see why I would need it.

Am I missing something?

If its a MY21 van you can’t have the lock/unlock feature. It was removed and apparently can’t be added. Models years other than MY21 do have it.

Back