Waterproof door speaker covers

BrenR

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Upgrading my door speakers and putting in sound deadening. Whats the general opinion on waterproof covers for the speakers? I have read several posts about water running inside the doors and larger/longer back speakers getting wet.

TIA.

Upgrading my door speakers and putting in sound deadening. Whats the general opinion on waterproof covers for the speakers? I have read several posts about water running inside the doors and larger/longer back speakers getting wet.

TIA.
Do you intend to stick polythene sheeting around the back of the speakers?

Thanks for reply. I was putting the dodo deadening sheets on the inside of the doors, is the polythene sheeting something to consider / do?
I do not really know. I was hoping to stimulate a reply from people that may have experienced wet inside doors and specifically one or other of the Dealer experts who fit speaker packages and other audio equipment. My main interest is Hi Fidelity sound and music at home. I would have thought that in a vehicle because the rear space is limited and that speakers are designed to operate with a limited rear space that the audibility of the speaker will not be adversely affected too greatly by further enclosure providing the covering is not too dense. However something like polythene may vibrate at certain frequencies and possibly spoil the sound by vibrating in sympathy. A better alternative may be to look at something that allows some breathing like the thinner membranes that builders may use. Nothing that is too stiff so a porous membrane. They will keep out liquid water but allow breathing. The sort of thing that is used in expensive waterproof clothing, Gortex for example or something similar might be better still.

Cover half of the speaker hole with sound deadening then fit the speaker ring over it. Then push the deadening in to the hole. This will create a protective cover for the back of the speaker. Fit the speaker upside down so the terminals are at the top. Everything will stay nice and dry

Cover half of the speaker hole with sound deadening then fit the speaker ring over it. Then push the deadening in to the hole. This will create a protective cover for the back of the speaker. Fit the speaker upside down so the terminals are at the top. Everything will stay nice and dry

Perfect, many thanks.

I've fitted skipton car audio water guards today but still have water leaking in, I've added some butyl sealant between the water guard and the adapter ring and the adapter ring to the door panel. Is this typical to stop water getting between them?

I've fitted skipton car audio water guards today but still have water leaking in, I've added some butyl sealant between the water guard and the adapter ring and the adapter ring to the door panel. Is this typical to stop water getting between them?
A lot of speaker guards do not wrap around the back of the speaker, so water can drip on the guards and run down, try the above mentioned by Deaky and ourself, we do not get issues with water

Back