Cosmic Campervans Derby

Big Rob

After researching pop top fitters I found this 5* rated company not to far away so paid deposit
Picked van up when I’ll just drove home parked van up for next 2 weeks it was doctors and hospital visits.
Received a message from Darren who said he recognised me profile from day I dropped my van off and he was there collecting his van, asked if I had inspected my van and was I happy with it. Reason for asking he had found sharp steel sticking into canvas at back of the roof, was going on holiday to Belgium would be in contact when he got back. On returning from holiday I received pics of his van canvas ripped, he contacted Cosmic and was told to use duct tape till he returned.
Few days later Darren contacted me to inform me he had been back to Cosmic wasn’t happy with response seemed they was blaming product and not really accepting responsibility.
He had therefore been to manufacture who condemned the fitting and arranged full replacement roof.
We checked our van found same issues, called Cosmic who basically wanted van back said they was busy but would get on off it between other vans could be several weeks. Not happy with this customer service after spending £6k I went to another fitter of same pop top who couldn’t believe the state of the roof. Therefore went to manufacture who condemned my van same as Darren’s.
Cosmic claimed they knew nothing about it so Matt who I spoke to has gold fish memory or is a liar (later found to be the later).
Dario the owner went on to slag off the manufacturer for poor product, his own staff saying he couldn’t get people to do as he instructed. Matt was blamed for not informing him I had an issue with roof then he claims I had never been back in touch .
Says I should have given them the chance to put right the roof, sorry but after another owner told me on collection they found hole in canvas and Cosmic put a patch on a new canvas I didn’t believe they would remove and refit the whole roof but do a bodge instead.
They refuse to accept any liability and refund any additional costs.
So much for customer service and care.
Many say great company but not in Darren’s and myself experience.

A0A63BF8-3936-4C93-B303-B55858E0106B.jpeg

2A13A692-79DE-4248-9B4F-060EB5A592AB.jpeg

56E29417-BC60-43DB-A51B-DA1E67A283CF.jpeg

90FC5E51-561A-4950-8D60-7036AB3FDAF2.jpeg

6286C7C6-590E-4D9B-A51C-5597858E350A.jpeg

F2881B9F-5120-49DA-9F8D-789917AC3E17.jpeg

C751C9E3-13AC-4E3D-A885-A62932C949A1.jpeg

520C5AF7-7F11-474A-8F47-D7FAC7B0AC81.jpeg

00387445-EED3-41D6-B4E4-80632E7A4C80.jpeg

16E6E69F-31B3-48AF-9D52-F7004A4B2129.jpeg

o_O That "install" is shockingly poor mate. I've never seen anything like it and it's hard to envisage how anyone could make a worse job.

When you say the manufacturer "condemned the fitting and arranged full replacement roof", did they offer to pay for the replacement, or are you expected to pick up the tab?

o_O That "install" is shockingly poor mate. I've never seen anything like it and it's hard to envisage how anyone could make a worse job.

When you say the manufacturer "condemned the fitting and arranged full replacement roof", did they offer to pay for the replacement, or are you expected to pick up the tab?
Hi Bav
The manufacturer Austops provided both Darren’s and my replacement roof. Not sure about Darren but I had to pay labour costs for stripping, rectifying and installation of new roof. My work was carried out by James of Custom Campers at Halifax his workmanship is fantastic and has done a fantastic job, I would definitely recommend him.
I would have been happy with refund of additional costs £1,000 but Dario of Cosmic claims I was after thousands of pounds and didn’t give him chance, who in right mind would when van was in such a state and one done week before the same, I doubt he would have replaced the roof but just bodged it.
These pictures are of the refitted roof done by James

2F0F21D3-3A4B-4815-9288-EBADBC2F55D2.jpeg

DB7B2945-B0E5-4A31-A3BF-53D99C8622DF.jpeg

B274C4AE-602C-4CAF-82E9-16F16F883ED8.jpeg

16E3EA87-042F-411F-8465-84964650F9EC.jpeg

F09607E1-A39A-4ABA-898A-E028EA3A44AA.jpeg

7BDEE0B0-9766-4DB0-813F-A3BB7CBDA75E.jpeg

I was never happy with cosmic even after just getting a quote from them for a conversion.
Dario was very pushy, typical salesman which I didn’t like and I also heard other bad stories re: their work.
I had an Austops poptop and conversion fitted by another converter (DCconversion) and can’t fault the pop top and the customer service from DC.
Those pictures are shocking! Poor poor work from a so called reputable converter.

Hi Bav
The manufacturer Austops provided both Darren’s and my replacement roof. Not sure about Darren but I had to pay labour costs for stripping, rectifying and installation of new roof. My work was carried out by James of Custom Campers at Halifax his workmanship is fantastic and has done a fantastic job, I would definitely recommend him.
I would have been happy with refund of additional costs £1,000 but Dario of Cosmic claims I was after thousands of pounds and didn’t give him chance, who in right mind would when van was in such a state and one done week before the same, I doubt he would have replaced the roof but just bodged it.
These pictures are of the refitted roof done by James

View attachment 180262

View attachment 180263

View attachment 180264

View attachment 180265

View attachment 180266

View attachment 180267
Not ideal having to pick up the tab for reinstallation, but good on Austops for stepping up to the plate with a replacement roof. You'd hope they'd also drop Cosmic as an installer, if only to save themselves the cost of the fallout.

Last edited:
glad you got it sorted in the end, shame you had to go through that appaling process!

I was never happy with cosmic even after just getting a quote from them for a conversion.
Dario was very pushy, typical salesman which I didn’t like and I also heard other bad stories re: their work.
I had an Austops poptop and conversion fitted by another converter (DCconversion) and can’t fault the pop top and the customer service from DC.
Those pictures are shocking! Poor poor work from a so called reputable converter.
Can’t believe Dario is saying that it’s a fault with the pop top. Since James fitted the new one it’s like a totally different van. Wife was complaining about squeaking from roof and thuds giving her headaches on long run. The thuds was down to the roof bouncing on the aerial as seen in pics.
Dario refuses to accept anything was wrong with the roof even saying it was damaged during stripping because Austops have got it in for him and me telling lies to ruin his business.
I’ve had threats from him both to me and court action threats because I’ve warned others. Because this hasn’t worked with me he’s claiming harassment and off work with anxiety.
Wouldn’t recommend anyone to go to them specially suppliers because when he screws up he blames suppliers and faulty products first, then throws his own employees under the bus saying he can’t get staff to do as he says.

Not ideal having to pick up the tab for reinstallation, but good on Austops for stepping up to the plate with a replacement roof. You'd hope they'd also drop Cosmic as an installer, if only to save themselves the cost of the fallout.
Cannot thank Austops and James enough for what they have done. Austops have dropped them but Cosmic claims they dropped them, not surprised because same happened with Skyline tops.
Funny how hundreds fit both roofs no issues yet Cosmic can’t fit either roof correctly

Reactions: Bav
I see on your refitted version the arial pod has been moved. When I had mine fitted at PopTops, they were surprised their standard slimline roof impacted the T6.1 arial, but they put a different, deeper shell in because they didn’t want to touch the antenna.

I can understand how you feel @Big Rob thats atrocious I would have been truly gutted with that pop top roof fitting, but I have had a totally different experience with Cosmic Campers they recently fitted me a storm pop top with bifold bed and new led interior lights and they’ve done a fantastic job which I’m really pleased with. When I got home and lifted the roof to check it all out I found a deep scratch in the paintwork on my roof which you couldn’t see when the roof was down, I sent Matt a picture and 2weeks later they had my van in sent it to a professional paint shop and what a fantastic job they did of the repair it all looked original.
Im really pleased with the Storm poptop roof that Cosmic have fitted for me and I can’t say anything else, it’s a real shame that you and Darren have had a totally different experience than I have.

John

Can’t believe Dario is saying that it’s a fault with the pop top. Since James fitted the new one it’s like a totally different van. Wife was complaining about squeaking from roof and thuds giving her headaches on long run. The thuds was down to the roof bouncing on the aerial as seen in pics.
Dario refuses to accept anything was wrong with the roof even saying it was damaged during stripping because Austops have got it in for him and me telling lies to ruin his business.
I’ve had threats from him both to me and court action threats because I’ve warned others. Because this hasn’t worked with me he’s claiming harassment and off work with anxiety.
Wouldn’t recommend anyone to go to them specially suppliers because when he screws up he blames suppliers and faulty products first, then throws his own employees under the bus saying he can’t get staff to do as he says.
That is a sign of a poor businessman ! Not accepting responsibility and not rectifying problems made by him.
My Austops Ariel isn’t on the roof at all, it’s been relocated into the wing mirror I believe .
Glad everything is sorted now

Sounds like a company to avoid.
Definitely specially as they done same with two different manufacturers of pop tops, both refuse to do business with Cosmic now
I can understand how you feel @Big Rob thats atrocious I would have been truly gutted with that pop top roof fitting, but I have had a totally different experience with Cosmic Campers they recently fitted me a storm pop top with bifold bed and new led interior lights and they’ve done a fantastic job which I’m really pleased with. When I got home and lifted the roof to check it all out I found a deep scratch in the paintwork on my roof which you couldn’t see when the roof was down, I sent Matt a picture and 2weeks later they had my van in sent it to a professional paint shop and what a fantastic job they did of the repair it all looked original.
Im really pleased with the Storm poptop roof that Cosmic have fitted for me and I can’t say anything else, it’s a real shame that you and Darren have had a totally different experience than I have
Im really pleased with the Storm poptop roof that Cosmic have fitted for me and I can’t say anything else, it’s a real shame that you and Darren have had a totally different experience than I have.

John
Glad you had better experience than us John.
Sadly myself and Darren are not the only ones. I’ve had several messages from other owners who have had issues but because of threats from Dario are scared to go public. One picked up their van got home and showing neighbours the roof found a hole in the canvas, returned to Cosmic and couldn’t believe they just put a patch on a brand new canvas and said that was all they got so much for warranty given just bodge a new roof canvas.
Everyone can make a mistake I accept that but two vans like this and refuse to accept responsibility is disgusting.
Love they way he tries to get reviews removed claiming issues are currently subject to a court case,
It’s far better to accept you messed up sit talk to the customer and sort it out not go on attack of customer and threaten court when they warn people.
He should do the right thing and contact Darren and myself, not makes things worse by publicly calling me a liar and also his mother commenting that it’s all lies. Crazy way to run a business

Saffa 365 you know that I know that and most in business knows it, but he’s that arrogant he thinks he can do as he pleases and people will accept it and just go away. Thinking threatening court action against the person he’s screwed over is the way to deal with things. Basically in his world he’s right and customers are wrong

I'm just about to buy a vanshades pod from Cosmic, having second thoughts now based on these reviews

Back